PDA

View Full Version : Single Red vertical Line on Powerbook 12"

grimmy
9th March 2009, 06:07 PM
My wonderful 12" powerbook has developed a single vertical red line approx 2 cm from the right hand side.
Any one got a clue what has caused this? is it repairable or do I have to part with this which is probably one of the best powerbooks ever made by apple.
Or does anyone know about the cost of getting this repaired?

I am not that keen on going up to a 13" Macbook to be honest!
We have one already in the family so I am very familar with it I just prefer the 12" powerbook.

Best Regards

Huy
9th March 2009, 06:17 PM
It's the connection between the display and logic board. It is repairable. Not sure about the cost but I had this same problem replaced by Apple (Next Byte) and it took 1 month. 2 logic board replacements and a new LCD because the backlighting was failing.

If you have no warranty then that's going to be a problem (costly). If I had to guess, it would cost more than the resale price of your PowerBook (hundreds of dollars).

My line was blue:
http://uploads.neowin.net/forum/post-4491-1118667446.jpg

grimmy
10th March 2009, 04:00 PM
Hi
Thanks for you reply.

Interestingly that I have noticed that has gone away but if you apply any slight force on the screen it comes back!!

eek
12th March 2009, 12:17 AM
Hmmm, I too have a 12" Powerbook- the 1.5Ghz Superdrive one....sadly I love it to bits too.

Towards the end of it's life, I noticed the screen wasn't so bright anymore (compared to my 17" powerbook, which was older and had more use) which probably indicated the backlight was failing, and one afternoon it came up with heaps of vertical stripes all over the screen. Didn't boot up again, so I ran a hardware diagnostic to find the VRAM had failed. New logic board required :( If I get a logic board off ebay or something (for cheap) I can replace it myself and hopefully revive it. If not, it will just continue to sit in my drawer.

I'd just be weary of these problems. Could be an indicator that it's near the end of it's life. Start saving for either parts or a new Macbook. Sadly, nothing lasts forever.

Linux_insidev2
12th March 2009, 04:07 PM
could be a loose LVDS cable, more likely to be the screen needing replacement.

Check out component pricing on ifixit.com to see if it's worth repairing.