PDA

View Full Version : Big Graphics Tablet For Dirt Cheap.

geektechnu
26th May 2005, 04:14 PM
I recall mentioning that I was planning on buying a graphics tablet from ALDI (http://www.aldi.com.au/product_01/product_214.html).

Well, they went on sale today and I went to pick one up - I can confirm now that this is indeed a re-packaged Aiptek Hyperpen 12000U. The only real difference is the price. The Aiptek sells for ~$250, the Medion version is only $69.

That's bloody cheap for a 12"x9" graphics tablet. I know it's not a Wacom, but it is about 85% cheaper.

I haven't tested this on my iBook yet (no Photoshop), but I can confirm that it's nowhere near as bad as the reviews on the web make it sound. Just grab the newest drivers and ignore the outdated software it ships with.

You can read up a little about my purchase at my website: http://geek.tech.nu/

OziMac
26th May 2005, 04:17 PM
Which ALDI did you get it from? What did the stocks of look like? Do you reckon they'll sell out quickly?

It looks like an excellent deal - let us know how it performs. The interface is USB right?

estoyloco
26th May 2005, 04:24 PM
please say they are in melb...

geektechnu
26th May 2005, 04:31 PM
Should be available from all ALDI stores - I picked mine up from Fountain Gate.
They'll be available until the end of the month (actually June 1st).

They usually keep all the computer gear in one section - look for a blue box that's about 40 x 45 x 5cm. The boxes are normally empty - you usually have to ask staff to grab one from the back storage.

I don't think they'll sell out real fast - not many people who go to ALDI need a hugeass graphics tablet.

geektechnu
26th May 2005, 04:35 PM
Look up store locations here (http://www.aldi.com.au/store_01/index.html).
28 stores around Victoria. Not sure about other states.

UPDATE: Just tested this on my iBook - it works! Download drivers from Aiptek's Taiwan website. Link on my website (http://geek.tech.nu/) (sorry - my url is easier to remeber than Aiptek's).

OziMac
26th May 2005, 04:53 PM
True, but not many people who go to ALDI usually need media centre PC's, yet they reputedly do a good trade in them...

Will have to try and swing by one tonight to see if they're still in stock. Excellent find, thanks for telling us! :)

geektechnu
26th May 2005, 05:17 PM
Meh - every man and hsi dog has/wants a media centre pc these days.

Here's a little sketch I just did:

eni
26th May 2005, 05:50 PM
Any word if it works on tiger? Just asking since the driver website only mentions 10.3 (obviously it's old so I'm looking for personal experience).

Tablets have always peaked my curiosity. I'll look into this - I have no graphical ability so I doubt I'd come close to taxing it. Probably only use it for a night or two! And for the price I wouldn't be expecting much anyway - everything's a bonus.

mvjs
26th May 2005, 05:57 PM
I'm going to asume it will work with Tiger - both built on BSD, same kernal. But sorry no first hand experiences. But OziMac or geektechnu, I'm sure run Tiger ask them :)

kit
26th May 2005, 06:08 PM
I don't trust non-Wacom tablets.

They work, and they're fine for signatures (maybe), but the pressure sensitivity is always hideously bad (I had an old 11x9 tablet which reportedly had 1024 levels of sensitivity, yet had in use closer to four, as is routine for cheapo tablets).

Plus you don't get Ink without a Wacom, and everyone loves Ink :).

geektechnu
26th May 2005, 07:12 PM
But OziMac or geektechnu, I'm sure run Tiger...
Nope. I only have an iBook800, so I'm not installing Tiger until software devlopers start saying "require Tiger".

I don't trust non-Wacom tablets.
I normally wouldn't either - but this is very cheap, so I took the risk.
It claims 512 pessure levels - in actual usage, changes in line thickness & opacity are very smooth. It might not be a Wacom, but it definitely does what it claims to do.

lavo
26th May 2005, 07:28 PM
Anyone able to buy one and ship to WA? Unfortunately ALDI don't have an outlet out West!

iSlayer
26th May 2005, 07:50 PM
i suggest you read these review before you buy one
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-...8&s=electronics (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B00007FS1Y/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/103-6220071-6125423?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=electronics)

not good at all

geektechnu
26th May 2005, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by islayer@May 26 2005, 08:20 PM
not good at all
I've already pointed out on my website. I looked those up last week and was a little worried.
But I am sure that *all the bad reviews* can be attributed to one of the following reasons:

- Using way outdated drivers
- Trying to use it on Win98
- Expecting it to be as good as a Wacom.

Let me assure everyone here that this graphics tablet is *working perfectly* with both my WinXP SP2 machine and my iBook with OSX 10.3.9.

My only gripe is the green LED that blinks when it's plugged in.
If you're after a cheap graphics tablet, this is decent quality, and about as cheap as it gets too.

geektechnu
26th May 2005, 10:15 PM
Just finished another picture - a small 20min sketch.

Considering I had no experience with graphics tablets before today -
and generally not much drawing skill to boot,

Not bad, eh?

All done with Photoshop's paintbrush tool as well.

bergerac
26th May 2005, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by lavo@May 26 2005, 05:28 PM
Anyone able to buy one and ship to WA? Unfortunately ALDI don't have an outlet out West!
Maybe we should make that two :D

bergerac
26th May 2005, 10:27 PM
Looks like someone is trying to cash in (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=170&item=5201899702&rd=1)

geektechnu
27th May 2005, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by bergerac@May 26 2005, 10:57 PM
Looks like someone is trying to cash in (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=170&item=5201899702&rd=1)
Funny - that's last year's $79 model. $10 cheaper this year.
The current one is silver and has no Medion branding on it.

MightyAtom
27th May 2005, 01:10 PM
Damn that's a bargain. I've been looking for a new tablet since a friend borrowed my graphire and threw it in the bin when she was done with it. :blink:

Any kind (trustworthy) soul feel like picking one up on my behalf and posting to Adelaide? PM me re money tranfer etc if you're in a considerate mood.

OziMac
27th May 2005, 02:43 PM
What kind of a friend does that? And why???

MightyAtom
27th May 2005, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@May 27 2005, 03:13 PM
What kind of a friend does that? And why???
A bipolar friend with little respect for other people's property and apparent memory problems. I think she threw it out in a depressed cleaning fit. She now refers to it as a "gift" not a loan.

It was one of the limited edition white Graphires that Wacom made for Apple. Can you tell I'm still bitter?

cerebus
27th May 2005, 10:13 PM
I got one today and I'm using it with Tiger.
I've never used a tablet before so I don't know if this is normal but in Photoshop (Elements 3) I can't press down on the nib and scribble all over the page; When I lift my pen off the page I only have a straight line between my start and end points. This means I have to draw in very small straight strokes, and I can't use the freehand lasso at all.

The thing is, freehand drawing is o.k. in Appleworks Painter so I wonder if its because Photoshop is recognising it as a pen device, not a mouse?

Also a couple of times my right button on my optical mouse has stopped working and then clicking on the menu bar of some applications no longer worked!?!

geektechnu
27th May 2005, 10:38 PM
cerebus:
The Photoshop Elements behaviour definitely isn't right - I know that Wacom bundles Elements with their smaller tablets, so tablet support should be fine. There should be some sort of Photoshop panel somewhere that lets you set how brushes respond to pen pressure and such... hmm...

May I ask what drivers you're currently using?

EDIT
Look in your Applications folder for the "HyperPen" app. Run it and click the "Buttons" tab. At the lower-right there is a setting for "Click Pressure". Set it to 0% and press "Test". Draw. That's how the pad should behave.

---

Found something weird also. If I put my MX700 mouse (connected to PC) onto the pad (connected to iBook), the mouse control gets passed through the pad to the iBook! Of course, mouse clicks don't pass through - but it's still neat.

Big_J
27th May 2005, 11:08 PM
Can someone please confirm at some stage that these are or are not available at the Brisbane ALDI stores?

Cheers big ears! :)

geektechnu
27th May 2005, 11:21 PM
Big_J
I would say yes - the product is advertised on ALDI's national website.

cerebus
I'm in the process of downloading the Photoshop Elements tryout from Adobe.
I'll check it out and hopefully get back to you tomorrow.

List of current OSX drivers - just in case:
Aiptek v1.53 (http://www.aiptek.com.tw/english/service/driver/HyperPen%20OSX10.2.5-10.3.x.hqx) <-- I&#39;m using this one
Aiptek v1.51 (http://www.aiptek.com.tw/english/service/driver/HyperPen%20OSX10.1.x-10.3.x.hqx)
v1.51 by Trust (http://drivers.trust.nl/drivers/TABLET_DIGITIZER/HyperPen_OSX_v151.sit)
Linux drivers (maybe usable via Xfree + GIMP?) (http://aiptektablet.sourceforge.net/)
Linux BSD drivers (http://sourceforge.net/projects/xf86digitaledge/)

xfodder
28th May 2005, 01:16 AM
i also got one of them from my local aldi store and im having the same problem as cerebus, but im having the problem in photoshop (tryout), it won&#39;t let me scribble, its bloody stuffed :) if i scribble and scribble all i get is a whole lot of straight lines.....

im running 10.4 too, so i think that maybe the drivers arent compatible with Tiger yet.

if i just plug the tablet in, it works in photoshop (its laggy but still works) but i cant use the new ink feature.

if i install those drivers, i can use the ink feature but the tablet wont work in photoshop....

geektechnu
28th May 2005, 09:19 AM
Found this at macosxhints regarding Ink:
Unfortunately, Apple doesn&#39;t officially support any brand except Wacom for use with Ink. Luckily however, you can force Ink to start and then stay on between reboots. Go to /System -> Library -> Components -> Ink.component -> Contents -> SharedSupport/ and you&#39;ll find InkServer.app. Double-click it to start it, and the InkPad should appear on your screen. Once InkPad is open, choose "Open Ink Preferences" and you&#39;ll see the Ink prefpane. In the preferences, turn handwriting recognition on. From now on, Ink will appear in System Preferences until you turn handwriting recognition off. Feel free to close the InkPad, you can open it again through the preferences or the menu item without having to dig through /System again.

xfodder
28th May 2005, 01:19 PM
apple sux, thats racist :P

i dont really care about ink, i just want to use it in photoshop etc. without lag.

geektechnu does the tablet lag in photoshop for you ?

geektechnu
28th May 2005, 02:58 PM
Ink works great - but Photoshop appears isn&#39;t working nicely at all.
I&#39;m going to blame Adobe&#39;s implementation, as the position and pressure sensitivity work perfectly in Ink.

Going to play around with drivers. Currently downloading Corel Painter demo as well - see if that works.

Will report back soon.

EDIT: With driver disabled, Photoshop draws properly (no lag - smooth and fast on G3 800), but presure sensitivity doesn&#39;t work.

Squozen
28th May 2005, 03:26 PM
My girlfriend picked up the last one in the Preston store, will try it on Panther and Tiger soonish.

vicmeldrew
28th May 2005, 04:40 PM
I got one and am trying it on OS10.3.9. I have the same problem as Cerebus with Photoshop CS. It seems to work with Illustrator CS and Applework&#39;s paint though.

Richard

Squozen
28th May 2005, 04:56 PM
Yep, broken in Photoshop CS here also. Works great in Illustrator though.

geektechnu
28th May 2005, 05:37 PM
The other drivers are a no-go. I just get kernel panic when I try to us the tablet.

Just tried v1.53 drivers + Corel Painter IX...

Works perfectly - drawing + pressure sensitivity are all good.
... so well that I&#39;m considering buying the program.

mvjs
28th May 2005, 06:10 PM
Do many ALDIs still have them in stock?

mdurie
28th May 2005, 06:31 PM
Anybody having problems with the trackpad on ibooks after installing the drivers? For some reason expose doesn&#39;t work with the trackpad sometimes (does with the tablet) and the dock magnification no longer follows the cursor, again ok with the tablet.
(EDIT: I should actually say the hot corners don&#39;t activate expose - expose still works using the function keys)

I&#39;m using sidetrack, which may influence it... Even after the tablet is removed, the problem remains.
Seems to be ok after a restart providing the tablet has not been plugged in that session though... But then there are some exeptions, eg. it&#39;s worked for a short time with the tablet plugged in before stopping.

geektechnu
28th May 2005, 06:34 PM
Just want ot say that I dug up a copy of FireworksMX 2004 for mac.
The brush dynamics panel well hidden, but...

Works perfectly.

No idea what Photoshop is doing - maybe Adobe is using a Wacom-specific implementation within Photoshop?

To sum up:
- WindowsXP... :thumbup:
- OS X Ink... :thumbup:
- OS X Painter IX... :thumbup:
- OS X Illustrator... :thumbup:
- OS X FireworksMX... :thumbup:
- OS X Photoshop... :blink:

xfodder
28th May 2005, 06:49 PM
yeah i figured as much, doesnt really matter photoshop is too expensive for me to buy anyway :) ill give that painter program a go :)

geektechnu
28th May 2005, 08:44 PM
Note to PC users: According to Adobe&#39;s support forums, this tablet does not currently work in the new Photoshop CS2.

Adobe&#39;s stance on this is that if it works perfectly in previous versions of Photoshop but not the new version, then the driver is obviously broken and the tablet manufacturer is at fault.

I don&#39;t understand this logic at all. If the tablet stops working and the only change is Photoshop&#39;s tablet code, then Photoshop is the problem. Seems to me like Adobe is saying "look how important we are - everyone else must conform to our way".

Apparently, Aiptek are now busy trying to sort out a new driver with CS2 support.

xfodder
28th May 2005, 11:32 PM
that explains a bit, i was trying to use it in cs2 on osx and it didnt work.

adobe & apple really tick me off not everyonee wwants to spend 100&#39;s of dollars on a expensive tablet....

cerebus
29th May 2005, 12:22 AM
geektechnu: thanks for doing all this research&#33; Let&#39;s hope aiptek release a working driver soon.

geektechnu
29th May 2005, 08:59 AM
The CS2 issue is Windows-specific. If a new driver is released, I doubt there will be a mac version. :(

At least Aiptek support seems to be working in every other *cheaper* product.

cerebus
15th August 2005, 12:05 PM
Aldi are selling them again... for &#036;49.99 &#33;&#33;&#33;
From the 18th of August.

TorranceTM
15th August 2005, 12:06 PM
On special again at Aldi from 18/08/2005 - http://www.aldi.com.au/product_01/product_337.html

&#036;49.99 this time.

Anybody want to give us an update on this product?

estoyloco
15th August 2005, 05:28 PM
if anyone in melbourne can find them this time please PM me or get one for me&#33;

I will want one 100%&#33;&#33;&#33;
PM if you intend to go look on the day and i will give you my mobile #

geektechnu
15th August 2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by TorranceTM@Aug 15 2005, 12:36 PM
Anybody want to give us an update on this product?
No new driver - officially an Adobe Photoshop issue, so:

- Photoshop CS/CS2/Elements OSX won&#39;t work
- Photoshop CS WinXP works fine
- Photoshop CS2 WinXP won&#39;t work

The tablet will work for virtually any other software.
OSX Fireworks & Painter are all good. Same goes for XP.

Worth getting as a first tablet - it&#39;s pretty huge, so make room on your desk.

estoyloco: Your location/suburb? Maybe I could pick one up soon.

BiRDBRAiN
16th August 2005, 09:19 AM
Will probably grab a couple.

cerebus
16th August 2005, 10:29 AM
Will probably grab a couple.

At these prices (http://search.ebay.com.au/medion-graphics-tablet), why not?

thedragonreborn
16th August 2005, 11:07 PM
hey guys,

thinking of getting one of these bad boys, well i live in brisvegas and should be able to pick one up from a store around here. What i was wondering is, would work well with an ibook g4 1.2ghz. Now i have no arty farty programs installed, so what should i get? Now the main reason i want to get this is to use it to perform my &#39;art&#39;, which is mathematics. I would like to know if there is some type of program that resembles like a &#39;notepad&#39; where i can scribble out my ideas then export to pdf or some thing simular?

cheers
steve

ps at &#036;50, why not?

geektechnu
17th August 2005, 09:02 AM
OS X has a built-in utility called Ink which will allow you to do 2 things:

1) Scribble some artwork and paste it into a graphics program.
2) Scribble some text with automatic conversion to real text.

Previously posted in this thread:
Go to /System -> Library -> Components -> Ink.component -> Contents -> SharedSupport/ and you&#39;ll find InkServer.app. Double-click it to start it, and the InkPad should appear on your screen. Once InkPad is open, choose "Open Ink Preferences" and you&#39;ll see the Ink prefpane. In the preferences, turn handwriting recognition on. From now on, Ink will appear in System Preferences until you turn handwriting recognition off. Feel free to close the InkPad, you can open it again through the preferences or the menu item without having to dig through /System again.

You need to download the v1.53 driver to get Ink working.

lavo
17th August 2005, 10:30 AM
Does this company post? Like everything that comes out over East, we have to wait for the next decade before they open up a store west of the rabbit proof fence :-)

DrewX
18th August 2005, 10:24 AM
Hi Guys,

I just scored the last one of these tablets and i can&#39;t seem to download the 1.53 driver some of you guys are speaking about earlier in the thread. I clicked on the link but nothing and i&#39;ve gone to the aiptek websit to snoop around but cant find it?&#33;?

eagerly awiting anyones help

Drew

estoyloco
18th August 2005, 10:25 AM
v.153 driver - Is that from apple or MEDION? went to their website and only got a XP driver

PS: what are the best programs to use with these? (besides ones that dont work?)

DrewX
18th August 2005, 10:40 AM
Ok downloading now.... for some reason it would not download whilst i had Adium running.... as soon as i turn it off it downloaded strait away... weird

estoyloco - search through the thread and one of the poster has provided a link to it on page 2 or 3 :)

geektechnu
18th August 2005, 10:51 AM
v1.53 drivers should be the first ones listed here:
http://www.aiptek.com.tw/english/service/d_tablet_usb.htm

The drivers are from the original manufacturer, Aiptek. Using these drivers you will be able to get pressure sensitivty working, but will break OS X Photoshop support.

PS: what are the best programs to use with these? (besides ones that dont work?)Of the programs I&#39;ve tried:

- Corel Painter works well
- Macromedia Fireworks also supports the tablet well
- Illustrator should works ok (I&#39;ve only tried on PC)
- Creature House Expression 3 should also work

Creature House Expression 3 for osx (now M&#036; Acrylic for XP only) is a very funky program that lets you sketch in vectors. Microsoft has released the superceded mac version for free:

http://www.microsoft.com/products/expressi...nloadlinks.aspx (http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/previous/expression3_downloadlinks.aspx)

I&#39;ve only tried the Windows version, but I have to say, it was very good, and bloody fast. I&#39;ve attached a quick sketch. Can you believe it&#39;s all vector?

estoyloco
18th August 2005, 11:12 AM
Thanks heaps..

i have illustrator with my creative suite and it works perfectly (but im no pro so maybe some other crap doesnt)

after that driver i should ssay it works perfectly.. its very smooth and doesnt just come on automatically etc..

not bad for &#036;49&#33;

i got a wireless mouse too that looks like a logitech for &#036;14 but i cant get that to work

PEOPLE THAT GO TO ALDI ARE NUTS&#33;&#33;&#33; they ran and pushed and went crazy..

NUTCASES&#33;

estoyloco
18th August 2005, 11:13 AM
PS: whats a vector (in terms of graphics etc) im new to all this..

lavo
18th August 2005, 11:45 AM
Fro Melbournites, what is the closest store to go to from the CBD? Hopefully there will be enough left when I get there in two weeks :-)

estoyloco
18th August 2005, 12:01 PM
Prahran is the closest one i know of. You would take Sandringham line from the CBD to Prahran station. From there its about a 3-4 minute walk.

lavo
18th August 2005, 12:04 PM
Thanks for that&#33;

BTW, I was speaking to the secretary here at work about Aldi. Turns out they have bought the old meatworks around the corner from my work. Ripper&#33;

p53
18th August 2005, 02:36 PM
Just wondering if anyone in Sydney has had any luck picking up one of these? I went to Baulkham Hills & Hornsby this morning but they were nowhere to be found.

p53

DrewX
18th August 2005, 02:44 PM
Ok.... i&#39;ve got a few problems with the driver it apears :(

Ive installed, reinstalled, permissions repaired etc... ibook 1ghz, 1.25gb ram, 10.3.8

With ink enabled

Like a previous poster expose doesn&#39;t work...
If i click on system preferences it appears BEHIND all windows on screen?&#33;?
Microsoft word wont launch from the dock - It bounces at me and all i have to do is click on the dock and it will then launch... ditto for excell....
For some reason the space between words in word changed so it doesn&#39;t work when i start a new sentence (i.e it starts as an extension of the previous word)

Seems the only way to rectify these is to remove all the driver info & restart and put ink back into hiding....

Anyone ideas?

geektechnu
18th August 2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by estoyloco@Aug 18 2005, 11:43 AM
PS: whats a vector (in terms of graphics etc) im new to all this..
Meaning instead of pixels, all of the lines are defined as points with some maths making up the actual curve. This means that the artwork is completely scalable to any size. Expression 3 will actually store the pen pressure data in these points.

Illustrator can do this too, but I thought I&#39;d mention Expression because Microsoft has released it for free as they transition across to Acrylic (same thing, new name).

Everybody go download Expression 3 before Acrylic comes out of beta - I have a feeling the download might disappear after that.

jobe
18th August 2005, 02:49 PM
I can confirm. Aldi salsibury is out of stock just before I arrived. I saw the bastard walking out the store with the last. But Aldi in oxley has plenty, so I picked up two :P

BiRDBRAiN
18th August 2005, 03:51 PM
Upper Ferntree Gully, Victoria is out :(

Tried to get a couple today.

TorranceTM
18th August 2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by p53@Aug 18 2005, 02:36 PM
Just wondering if anyone in Sydney has had any luck picking up one of these? I went to Baulkham Hills & Hornsby this morning but they were nowhere to be found.

p53
Minto had 3 left at midday after I got mine.

TorranceTM
18th August 2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by geektechnu@Aug 18 2005, 02:45 PM
Everybody go download Expression 3 before Acrylic comes out of beta - I have a feeling the download might disappear after that.
Isn&#39;t it only a 180 day trial?

p53
18th August 2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by TorranceTM@Aug 18 2005, 04:03 PM
Minto had 3 left at midday after I got mine.
Thanks Torrance, I won&#39;t be able to get to Minto until Sunday though, maybe Saturday if Im lucky. if i&#39;m even luckier there&#39;ll still be one left&#33; I might get a chance to go to Dural tonight though. fingers crossed they&#39;ll have one left. I can&#39;t believe they&#39;re selling out so quickly.
does anyone know where I can find a phone number to call an ALDI store? They&#39;re not in the yellowpages and they don&#39;t have phone numbers on the ALDI website either. what is with that?

p53

geektechnu
18th August 2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by TorranceTM@Aug 18 2005, 04:35 PM
Isn&#39;t it only a 180 day trial?
As it says on the Microsoft page:
As a service to the many loyal users of Expression, a free download version is available to existing users...
I&#39;ve only tried the PC version listed on the download page (downloading mac version right now).

The About screen on my version says:
v3.3 beta - NOT FOR RESALE -That&#39;s all - no mention about a trial. Even so, 180 days is a pretty long time. I&#39;ve already had it installed for almost 3 months, so if it is a trial, I guess you&#39;ll be hearing from me in 3 months time ;)

EDIT: Their new program "Acrylic" is a 180 day trial (after which there will be a new beta or a &#036;&#036;&#036; commercial product). I believe it will also be Windows only. Expression 3 however is the previous product and is indeed free right now.

p53
19th August 2005, 05:34 PM
Just thought I&#39;d post an update in case anyone in Sydney is still looking for one. Checked out Dural and Bankstown today - both are out. So in Sydney Bankstown, Baulkham Hills, Dural & Hornsby are all sold out.

p53

teej
20th August 2005, 12:37 AM
Don&#39;t suppose anyone in Melbourne picked up an extra?

mvjs
5th September 2005, 05:12 PM
Does anyone know where in Melbourne you can pick one up?

And if the Heidelberg West store has any in stock

cerebus
6th January 2006, 02:37 PM
Onsale again from the 12th January - &#036;69.
Based on past experience you should be queueing up outside before the store opens if you want to get one.

And a new driver on the Aiptek website (http://www.aiptek.com.tw/english/service/d_tablet_usb.htm).

p53
9th January 2006, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Lets hope its 3rd time likely for me.
p53

snark
9th January 2006, 09:09 PM
Has anyone who owns one of these tablets used an application called ArtRage with it? The app says it is designed for use with tablets, but I would like an opinion on the specific combination of hardware and software.

Appreciate your thoughts,
P

snark
12th January 2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Petronius@Jan 9 2006, 10:09 PM
Has anyone who owns one of these tablets used an application called ArtRage with it? The app says it is designed for use with tablets, but I would like an opinion on the specific combination of hardware and software.

Appreciate your thoughts,
P
Just picked mine up from ALDI in Prahran. They&#39;re not on display, so you have to ask at the checkout.

I&#39;ll be trying out a few different proggies tonight (but I&#39;m not arty, so don&#39;t expect any pics like some of the previous posters. ;) )

And BTW, in 10.4, the way to get Ink to display is slightly different from what has previously been posted (which I think was for 10.3. I found this tip on MacWorld.com

Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras, and double-click on Ink.menu. This places the Ink icon in the Finderís menubar. From this menu choose Ink preferences. System Preferences will open and reveal the Ink system preference.

p53
13th January 2006, 09:27 AM
Well ALDI has obviously realised that these toys are damn popular. They had stacks at Hornsby yesterday and everyone in the queue before me bought 1 or 2. If you&#39;re after one, better run in today and hope there&#39;s still some left.
p53

mart
13th January 2006, 09:40 AM
Hi all,

I picked mine up from ALDI Seaford (Vic) and for &#036;69 it&#39;s a lot of fun.

Got the drivers as mentioned earlier and all is good. Works in PS CS ( I don&#39;t have CS2 to test). The main reason I got it was for making masks, but the pens and brushes work fine too.

The 24 function keys are small but pretty easy to setup and the driver is useful for getting the tablet to match your screen aspect ratio and adjusting your prefernces like sensitivity (it has 512 steps I think).

There&#39;s no power switches on the pen or the mouse, so I&#39;m not sure how long the batteries will last in each.

I often get a sore wrist and sometimes wear a brace to help with long sessions in front of photoshop/gerneal computer stuff so I was happy when after a while I became quite used to it (and fast) and found I could do most things on the OS just fine. The bigger movements and differnet clicking style are suposed to better for us people on the edge of RSI.

In general I think it&#39;s great value for money. I&#39;m sure there are better units out there, but this will do me fine.

Mart

xfodder
13th January 2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Petronius@Jan 12 2006, 01:30 PM
And BTW, in 10.4, the way to get Ink to display is slightly different from what has previously been posted (which I think was for 10.3. I found this tip on MacWorld.com

Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras, and double-click on Ink.menu. This places the Ink icon in the Finderís menubar. From this menu choose Ink preferences. System Preferences will open and reveal the Ink system preference.
there is no ink in 10.3 :P

but these tablets are great, i bought mine back in may last year i couldnt get it to work properly on my imac so i installed it on my pc.....but with those new drivers hopefully i can get it working on my imac..

danno74
13th January 2006, 11:39 AM
anyone know if North Sydney store has any left today?

p53
14th January 2006, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by xfodder@Jan 13 2006, 11:34 AM
there is no ink in 10.3 :P

but these tablets are great, i bought mine back in may last year i couldnt get it to work properly on my imac so i installed it on my pc.....but with those new drivers hopefully i can get it working on my imac..
I&#39;m running 10.3.9 and using Ink.

Tablet working ok on my PB with the latest driver. Was a very laggy at first but it&#39;s ok now after a 2nd restart.

p53

scamel
2nd March 2006, 11:18 AM
Woohoo&#33; I just came back from the store and got one... it works fine in photoshop 7 (I dont have cs/cs2) the only problem ive encoutered so far is that it seems to freeze when you go to click on the icons/appls in the dock.

that&#39;s not a biggie though.. you can still click on stuff in the dock, just can&#39;t wave the moust left to right over all the icons.

check out my img

http://photobucket.com/albums/y249/astarina/aldimediongraphicstabtest2.jpg

stevejay
2nd March 2006, 12:11 PM
Bugger. No Aldi in Tasmania :(

mac_man_luke
2nd March 2006, 12:40 PM
dang no Aldi in adelaide :(

cerebus
29th June 2006, 12:32 PM
It&#39;s on sale again from next Thursday.
&#036;69 (http://www.aldi.com.au/product_01/product_05.html)

p53
29th June 2006, 06:35 PM
In case anyone&#39;s wondering, this tablet works on my Intel iMac without having to install any drivers.
p53

Berek
29th June 2006, 09:27 PM
I just sold my tablet (from the sale last year) for &#036;140 on ebay.... Went towards a nice new Wacom widescreen model :-)

g5agogo
29th June 2006, 09:51 PM
And if you&#39;re looking for an OS X driver then this (http://www.aiptek.com.tw/english/service/d_tablet_usb.htm) check this out. OS X driver vers. 1.55 updated 21/4/2006 - don&#39;t know if it fixes the pressure problem in CS2. Don&#39;t have CS2 to check it.

arty
6th July 2006, 10:51 PM
I picked one of these up today from Aldi (http://aldi.com.au/). If you&#39;re looking for one instore and can&#39;t see them, ask the staff. The store I went to had them hidden under the counter with none visible on display anywhere. If it wasn&#39;t for seeing them in the catalogue online & the post here saying they were going on sale again I wouldn&#39;t have known about them

The drawing size is 22.7cm x 30.3cm

It comes with a stylus with 2 buttons (and 2 spare stylus nibs), a 3 button mouse, AAA batteries for both (1 in each), drivers for Windows and a pile of windows applications including some simple photo editing applications.

Plugging the tablet into my mac and it was recognised immediately and Photoshop CS2 knew there was a tablet, but as previously discussed in this thread, no pressure sensitivity.

Downloaded the FREE Pen Pad application/driver (http://www.aiptek.com.tw/english/service/d_tablet_usb.htm).

Installed, rebooted as requested. Launched the Pen Pad application which recognised the size of the tablet and allows you to program the buttons on the pen and mouse (the options for each button are: single click, double click, context menu/right click). It also allows you to adjust sensitivity for the pen, speed of the mouse and program the 24 function &#39;soft&#39; keys on the tablet.

Next step was to launch Photoshop CS2 again. Recognised the tablet, and voila touch sensitivity works.

The other interesting thing to note is that Medion have an Australian office (in Sydney) complete with a Mon-Fri 1300 tech support line. They also provide a 12 month warranty on the unit.

All in all I give this 2 big thumbs up :thumbup: :thumbup: - great value for &#036;69 and the free drivers just make it perfect for my needs.

pipsqeek
6th July 2006, 11:22 PM
That&#39;s awesome.

I was going to start saving for a Wacom. But they&#39;re just too damn pricey for anything above the smallest size.

I think I need to pay Aldi a visit tomorrow. ;)

Cheers
pipsqeek

konni
7th July 2006, 10:19 AM
I bought one yesterday - also hidden under the counter. Lucky me - it was the last one. Got home and plugged it in and was disappointed that it was so jerky and no sensitivity, small mapped area.

Arty, thanks for the info. I&#39;m going to download that driver now. Woohoo.

pipsqeek
7th July 2006, 03:42 PM
I just got home finally, with the large tablet for &#036;69

Works a charm.

Thanks arty for that small review on how it performed.

pipsqeek

gilligan911
7th July 2006, 04:22 PM
I picked one up today as well. They have some at the Forest Lake Aldi for any interested Brisbanites.

Can&#39;t wait to get home and see how it works.....

Danamania
7th July 2006, 07:44 PM
I picked one up too - the tablet itself is HUGE. http://www.danamania.com/temp/tablet.jpg

The pen & tablet part works awesomely - smooth, responsive, covers the full area of the screen with plenty of room for fine work or large

The drivers however... ugh. They&#39;re making me ready to kill.

dana

Aa
7th July 2006, 08:26 PM
Nice one Dana, i knew there was a use for the old Quadra&#39;s :P

kmcgreg
7th July 2006, 09:45 PM
Forget cheap and get quality like your mac.. I got a Wacom 6x11 Intuous 3- works like a dream.

gilligan911
10th July 2006, 08:59 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(danamania &#064; Jul 7 2006, 07&#58;44 PM) 192860</div>

I picked one up too - the tablet itself is HUGE. http://www.danamania.com/temp/tablet.jpg

The pen & tablet part works awesomely - smooth, responsive, covers the full area of the screen with plenty of room for fine work or large

The drivers however... ugh. They&#39;re making me ready to kill.

dana
[/b]

Hey Dana, do you get any lag when using the pen in Photoshop CS2? I get serious lag (5-10 secs) when using either the repair brush or clone stamp tool. I followed Arty&#39;s method, dowloading the Aiptek PenPad application and re-booting, etc.

I wonder if maybe my G5 iMac is not up to the task, it has 1GB ram but perhaps 2GB would be in order when using a tablet in CS2?

Anyways, I am only using it for fun and to tidy up some old photos I have scanned, so I don&#39;t need it to work as seamlessly as a professional would.

cheeers.

gilligan911
1st August 2006, 09:18 AM
Aiptek have released a new driver (1.62) on their Taiwanese website. I downloaded and installed it last night and it is a BIG improvement over the previous driver. It is still far from being perfect but it seems to have gotten rid of the lag I used to experience in Photoshop.

Get the new driver here. (http://www.aiptek.com.tw/english/service/d_tablet_usb.htm)

cheers.

BigAD
1st August 2006, 10:06 AM
I wish I picked one of these up when they were on sale.

Does anyone know where abouts I can get a new one for? or how often they pop up for sale?

Cheers

Danamania
1st August 2006, 10:38 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gilligan911 &#064; Aug 1 2006, 09&#58;18 AM) 200201</div>

Aiptek have released a new driver (1.62) on their Taiwanese website. I downloaded and installed it last night and it is a BIG improvement over the previous driver. It is still far from being perfect but it seems to have gotten rid of the lag I used to experience in Photoshop.

Get the new driver here. (http://www.aiptek.com.tw/english/service/d_tablet_usb.htm)
[/b]

Awesome - glad you kept an eye out - and yes, I had exactly the same problem. Most of the time I&#39;d use it in photoshop and it&#39;d not allow the photoshop GUI to respond for up to 10 seconds after drawing. Other times it would work with almost no delay, but that wasn&#39;t so common.

Installing the 1.62 driver has fixed the photoshop delays, and the world is well once more :).

(Now if only I could make it stop logging every little movement it did - open Console.app, move the pen on the pad and see if you get hundreds of lines of position & pressure info being added. It appears to be megabytes per minute, unfortunately. If you&#39;re low on disk space this is going to cause problems - otherwise it&#39;s just a big annoyance... Fun With NonFree Software, in the Libre sense.)

dana

goldcoaster
1st August 2006, 12:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BigAD @ Aug 1 2006, 10:06 AM) 200219</div>

I wish I picked one of these up when they were on sale.

Does anyone know where abouts I can get a new one for? or how often they pop up for sale?

Cheers
[/b]people are always buying these and putting them straight on ebay. try there.

http://goldcoaster.wordpress.com (http://goldcoaster.wordpress.com/)

pipsqeek
1st August 2006, 12:35 PM
I noticed the delay was caused by the fact that there is a default "time out feature". Basically, it prevents accidental drawing on a document. Whereby you press the tip down, hold it still, and it registers that you are about to draw. Then lets you to.

I used it in Photoshop and did this, it appeared to work. Maybe the new drivers (I&#39;ll try them when I get home) have made this better. Judging by the sounds, yes.

In Corel Painter IX there was no lag at all.

Thanks for the heads up on the new updated drivers.

pipsqeek

gilligan911
1st August 2006, 09:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(danamania &#064; Aug 1 2006, 10&#58;38 AM) 200228</div>

Now if only I could make it stop logging every little movement it did - open Console.app, move the pen on the pad and see if you get hundreds of lines of position & pressure info being added. It appears to be megabytes per minute, unfortunately. If you&#39;re low on disk space this is going to cause problems...
[/b]

I see what you mean. Luckily disk space is not a problem for me (yet). Still, it seems as though Aiptek are regularly updating the driver so hopefully there will be a fix for this down the track.

pipsqeek
6th December 2006, 09:44 PM
New drivers are out... been out for a while... I'm just slow :p

http://www.aiptek.com.tw/asian/english/service/driver/tablet/hyperPen_U_v1.63_MAC10.X_driver.zip

I haven't installed it, therefore no testing yet. But I'll be giving it a crack this weekend.

pipsqeek

gilligan911
7th December 2006, 10:47 AM
Thanks for that. I had not checked for updates for a while either. The version of the driver released in July worked OK but only if I booted from scratch with the tablet plugged in. If it was not plugged in at start-up, or if I took it out then plugged it back in, the tablet would not wotk properly. Hopefully this fixes that problem.

cheers.

gilligan911
20th December 2006, 08:53 AM
Checked out the new driver. Seems to me that the only difference is that it adds Ink support. Nothing else has changed - you still have to put up with having "PenPad.app" open in the dock and if you unplug the tablet you need to restart to get it working again when you plug it back in. It is a long way from perfect but I can put up with it for a $70 tablet I use infrequently.

cerebus
20th July 2007, 09:48 AM
Back on sale (http://aldi.com.au/index.php?p=product_03/product_3011.html) from next thursday at $69.

Aa
20th July 2007, 10:38 AM
i'm going to take the plunge this time.

if anyone has any links to drivers/support/reviews/tech advice. etc.. to get the most out of these thing on OSX with Adobe products, it'd be really appreciated.

cheers

zen
20th July 2007, 11:37 AM
Nice find, do you work for Aldi or something cerebus (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/member.php?u=2371)? heh, seems like your always in the loop on their specials.

$69 is a steal, would be interesting to finally have a play with tablets. Hopefully it will make my life easier in some ways :)

grorr76
20th July 2007, 12:10 PM
good rule you pay for what you get , if that picture is anything to go by the build quality looks very low, think ill stick with wacom.

gilligan911
20th July 2007, 12:12 PM
You can find the driver here. (http://www.aiptek.com.tw/english/service/d_tablet_usb.htm) I notice it hasn't been updated since November last year so they have probably given up on development of the OSX driver.

It works fine with CS2 but I did find it pretty laggy at times.

I have only plugged it into my MBP once and it worked without installing the driver but it only used a small area of the tablet - i.e. it did not map the whole A4 size - just an area in the middle about the size of an envelope - so it wasn't very easy to use.

It is nowhere near as good as a Wacom tablet but it is fraction of the price.

There is some other feedback earlier in this thread.

cheers.

arty
21st July 2007, 12:03 PM
Had mine for ages and love it.

Sure it's not a wacom, but it's $69 folks.

There are drivers for PC and Mac that work fine with the changes Adobe made to the tablet settings starting with CS2 to give you pressure sensitivity.

soadaholic
21st July 2007, 03:15 PM
do they have any pressure sensitivity ? can someone post something they have made with one :)

bartron
21st July 2007, 03:44 PM
Had mine for ages and love it.

Sure it's not a wacom, but it's $69 folks.

There are drivers for PC and Mac that work fine with the changes Adobe made to the tablet settings starting with CS2 to give you pressure sensitivity.

So how is it ps? I was thinking of getting an a5 wacom from officeworks for doing ps touchups ($149 I think)...but if this does the job I might get one.
edit: also, is there a battery in the pen and does the cursor move on touch or proximity to the pad?

Bartron

arkenstone
21st July 2007, 04:14 PM
I have one of these from the last time they went on sale - works out of the box without any dirvers/software on OSX but without the pressure sensitivity. I've not checked out the driver linked a few posts back but will do so this w/e.

der
24th July 2007, 04:23 PM
can anyone here please confirm that it works ok with a macbook/ tiger/ and inkwell handwriting?

yinyang
24th July 2007, 04:30 PM
anyone tried it with Photoshop CS3 - i'm tempted for that price, especially since i'll only be using it occasionally

zen
26th July 2007, 12:02 PM
I just bought one from my local Aldi, there's around 8 or so left when I got there. So if anyone is desperate I'm more than happy to help.

However the postage will be a killer since its a massive box to send. Installing drivers as we speak and I'll give it a quick trial on my intel iMac running OSX 10.4.10 & CS2 Suit. Will report back :)

Brains
26th July 2007, 01:13 PM
The Aldi link cerebus posted no longer works.

Anyone got another link to this tablet?

B.

kaisersozay
26th July 2007, 02:25 PM
The Aldi link cerebus posted no longer works.

Anyone got another link to this tablet?

B.

No luck, Brains.
Aldi drop the page the day the sale begins and start the next sale (Sale August 02).
Stupid if you ask me.
This is as close as I can find to the actual tablet...

http://www.aiptek.com.tw/product/dt/dtslim.htm

though the product is badged as Medion

arty
3rd August 2009, 08:00 AM
Just a quick update: The Aiptek link earlier in this thread no longer works. You can download the driver to from http://download.pentagram.pl/en/drivers/graphic_tablets/open_wide/Pen%20Pad%20Tablet%20Driver%20V1.72.zip

This gives pressure sensitivity in Adobe products (tested OK in PS4) and allows you to program the function keys at the top of the tablet.

timmytomtam
3rd August 2009, 09:06 AM
My local ALDI were sold out when I wanted to get one last time they were on sale.

Might head over there this afternoon :)

kai_h
4th August 2009, 01:22 PM
I had one of these cheap tablets, it worked (kind-of) with no driver, except in Photoshop where it would only do one "click" even if I drew a line. I'd get a spot from the brush where I started the line, and the mouse cursor would follow where I drew to, but no line would draw.
It seemed to work in Illustrator quite well, and as a general pointing device in other apps, but not in Photoshop which was the one app I really wanted it for.

It wasn't one of the large ones, it was a smaller one, and the drivers didn't support 10.5, so I was quite amused to see it worked with no driver at all... well kind-of worked...

Quamen
4th August 2009, 01:41 PM
Think I might have to go to Aldi tonight and see if they still have one in stock.

Quamen
6th August 2009, 06:51 PM
Drivers available here: www.aiptek.eu - SlimTablet 600U (http://www.aiptek.eu/index.php?option=com_product&task=view&productid=135&Itemid=345)

soadaholic
7th August 2009, 12:35 PM
Not to highjack, but this intuos 3 is a damn good deal and my just arrived! Not massive, but perfect size for me at home ( I have a massive one at wok ;) ).

ht.com.au | Wacom Intuos3 A5 USB - Digitizer, stylus - 20.3 x 15.2 cm - wired - USB - tungsten grey (http://www.ht.com.au/job/3648130/part/Q0602-Wacom-Intuos3-A5-USB-Digitizer-stylus-203-x-152-cm-wired-USB-tungsten-grey/detail.hts)

kai_h
8th August 2009, 08:35 AM
There is absolutely no comparison, none whatsoever, between a Wacom Intuos 3 or 4 and one of these Aldi tablets. They're a completely different ballgame. An Intuos is a purchase for life, once you've got one, the only reason you'll end up replacing it is if it's too small or too big for your needs...
** disclaimer - I sell Intuos tablets, and they are rad **