PDA

View Full Version : OSX on a Possessed Mac Pro [title change]

Phase
8th March 2009, 11:02 AM
Hey kids;

I'm trying to install OS X in my Mac Pro across two HDD's in a striped Raid.

Problem.

I don't have the original install discs, but I do have a retail version of leopard.

In bays 1 & 2 are two clean 1Tb drives, and in bays 3 & 4 are empty caddies.

I put in the install DVD, hold option, and up comes the leopard disc, I click on it, the Apple logo appears, then it promptly kernel panics.

I can't get around it, what the hell am I doing wrong? There is almost no info on doing a fresh OS X install anywhere.

alanthomasball
8th March 2009, 11:06 AM
The Leopard Retail DVD should boot fine, even without a present hard drive. Also it certainly doesn't matter if you use a retail copy.
My only suggestion is to remove all but factory RAM (which you should re-seat also).

jubilantjeremy
8th March 2009, 11:33 AM
-redundant post-

Phase
8th March 2009, 11:53 AM
Oh shit. Now the Mac Pro is kernel panicking on boot, with the old HDD's installed.

How the hell does that happen?

I removed the caddies, tried new ones, now the system panics. uuugh.

jubilantjeremy
8th March 2009, 11:55 AM
Oh shit. Now the Mac Pro is kernel panicking on boot, with the old HDD's installed.

How the hell does that happen?

I removed the caddies, tried new ones, now the system panics. uuugh.

RAM, dude

Phase
8th March 2009, 12:00 PM
RAM, dude

Re-seated it, checked it, no red lights on the risers.

for the RAM to have failed, it would've had to occur in exactly the 4 mins it took to swap the drives out. I believe in coincidence, but that's a little crazy.

Phase
8th March 2009, 12:02 PM
Alright, now things are getting twiglight zone-ish.

I put back in my bootcamp drive, and it sees it, and happily boots into windows.

But if I try OS X? Kernel panic.

whaaaaaat.

Phase
8th March 2009, 12:13 PM
Ok, now I can boot back into OS X.

Hmmm

jubilantjeremy
8th March 2009, 12:20 PM
Re-seated it, checked it, no red lights on the risers.

for the RAM to have failed, it would've had to occur in exactly the 4 mins it took to swap the drives out. I believe in coincidence, but that's a little crazy.

Yeah, but is it more likely to move/unseat/fail while it's sitting under your desk, or while you're dicking around in its guts?

Glad to see its working now though. Weird problem..

Phase
8th March 2009, 12:45 PM
Problem gets weirder.

So the Pro boots dandy with its 4 original drives, no problems, works fine.

Taken them out and put in the two new drives I want to use, kernel panics when trying to boot from leopard DVD. Take out ALL drives, boot from DVD, Kernel panics.

The two new drives read perfectly in a USB HDD dock. The Leopard DVD reads fine.

So utterly confused. (and thanks Jeremy for the help so far :) )

Phase
8th March 2009, 12:54 PM
I wonder if this will work:

Keep the OS X HDD in there, load the two other HDD's, boot into leopard, raid the two drives together, restart from the OS X disc, and Install leopard onto the raid, then remove the old install of leopard HDD.

-brain hurts-

MissionMan
8th March 2009, 01:04 PM
I think the Mac Pro is rejecting you for installing Windows.

Phase
8th March 2009, 01:08 PM
I think the Mac Pro is rejecting you for installing Windows.

I paid for my treason long ago and bought it 4 external HDD's as a peace offering.

Aluminum bastard.

Silver
8th March 2009, 01:12 PM
I found that my retail copy of Leopard kernal panics my Mac Pro as well. (I wanted to test my boot disk, as I had had a number of bad crashes relating to old hard disks that used to be in a RAID).

How old is the retail disk? I'm suspicious that one of the Mac Pro firmware updates made Leopard retail disks incompatible, but don't have much proof yet.

Phase
8th March 2009, 01:20 PM
How old is the retail disk? I'm suspicious that one of the Mac Pro firmware updates made Leopard retail disks incompatible, but don't have much proof yet.

Well chalk me up as case #1.

Something must've happened from Leopard release until now. It kernel panics every time you attempt to boot from the DVD, whereas my unibody Macbook Pro has no problems, and is a year more recent.

/sigh. Joooobs screwing my again. /shakefist.

Phase
8th March 2009, 01:33 PM
Upon further reading, it's because the NVIDIA 8800GT card required 10.5.2 to boot. And, of course, the Leopard retail disc is 10.5.1

So I can't use it. And have to cough up the dollarz for a new system disc.

samwalk
8th March 2009, 01:54 PM
I don't know if this would work but it might be worth a try.

Put your current boot disk into one of your external drive bays, boot from it. Then use your leopard install disk to install on your new drive. Manually download and run the 10.5 update and update the new installation.

leon
8th March 2009, 02:18 PM
Upon further reading, it's because the NVIDIA 8800GT card required 10.5.2 to boot. And, of course, the Leopard retail disc is 10.5.1

So I can't use it. And have to cough up the dollarz for a new system disc.

Call Apple. Ask if you can surrender your current retail disk for a newer one. You might be able to request a new one and just pay the $25 per disk charge, + postage.

Another option could be to just burn a copy of a 10.5.6 disk. As far as I can tell, this shouldn't be illegal as you already own Leopard retail.

Phase
8th March 2009, 02:37 PM
Another option could be to just burn a copy of a 10.5.6 disk. As far as I can tell, this shouldn't be illegal as you already own Leopard retail.

Yeah, it's legal according to the ULA, however, I don't think the drive that ships with the Mac Pro is DL compatible :(
[edit: actually it is, I just don't have a 10.5.6 disc] except my Macbook Pro Unibody restore, which is of course, system specific.

Probably just going to pony up the dollars and pick one up this afternoon.

Thanks everyone for your help in working it out as well.

/community spirit.

Phase
8th March 2009, 05:28 PM
So I just successfully striped together two 1Tb drives to form 'Screamer' my boot RAID.

I installed OS X in 7 minutes.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/03_02/2BlownOverBNPS_800x548.jpg
blown away

leon
8th March 2009, 05:30 PM
So I just successfully striped together two 1Tb drives to form 'Screamer' my boot RAID.

I installed OS X in 7 minutes.

Wow. Usually takes me around an hour. Just again, WOW.