PDA

View Full Version : help setting up a home network

Secoa
7th March 2009, 01:56 PM
Can someone assist me please I am trying to setup a home network.

The hardware I have is:

iMac 2.8ghz running 10.5.6 (main)
iMac G4 1.0 ghz running 10.4.11 (old mac - purpose is to watch videos from the garage)
Belkin Voip 4 port Gateway router (the router is connected directly to an ADSL line
Several metres of ethernet cabling

I have connected both Macs to the router and whilst I can now get the internet I cannot see each others hard drive with the exception I can see the public folder of the main mac.

Is it possible to see each others hard drives.

I also want to listen to iTunes from the garage from my garage and not waste the hard drive of the old mac.

I have used the Network set-up assistant from my main mac and I have used the following steps

Under the question of "How do you connect to the internet?" I have selected I connect to my local network (LAN)

"Under Connect using a static IP Address" it asks for an IP address, subnet mask, Router address and DNS Host. This is where I have stopped as I do not know they are.

I have never done this before (as you can guess that's why I am asking) and do not understand what the terms mean. ie. be kind on the answers.

If anyone can help it would be great.

Thanks

jubilantjeremy
7th March 2009, 02:15 PM
"Under Connect using a static IP Address" it asks for an IP address, subnet mask, Router address and DNS Host. This is where I have stopped as I do not know they are.

Thanks

You're over-complicating it.
Use the 'automatic' or 'DHCP' settings (they're the same thing) - it will work it all out itself :

Instead of using the Internet Connect wizard thing, just go into system preferences > network (on each mac), then Ethernet (or Airport?) and set TCP/IP to Automatic.

Leave everything else blank, then try it.

If you can see the machines' public folders then its probably all working anyway. You can only see their 'hard drives' if you authenticate as a user on that machine. In Leopard this means you click the 'connect as' button in Finder while browsing that remote machine.

EDIT :

OK, I just read :

I have connected both Macs to the router and whilst I can now get the internet I cannot see each others hard drive with the exception I can see the public folder of the main mac.

It is definitely all working OK then, you just need to configure the machines for :

File and Folder sharing (set it up through System Preferences > Sharing)

iTunes sharing (set it up through iTunes > Preferences > Sharing).

alanthomasball
7th March 2009, 02:19 PM
In any home environment you want to tell any devices (like computers and other networkable appliances) to get their IP Address information automatically. This is called "DHCP". The only thing you really need to know about DHCP is the "Dynamic" bit - any device can join your network and instantly get the correct addressing info.

You can either set this via the Network Assistant, or via System Preferences > Network.

As for file sharing, Go to System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing. You'll figure it out. Remember the Help menu up top. You can set each Mac to allow certain access to the different parts of its hard drive. It's a little different in Tiger, but I think it is also in the Network section.

Also you can use the "Bonjour" local chat feature of the iChat application. This is just instant messaging for anyone on your home network. Just look in Preferences > Accounts once you open up iChat.

Now, Music Sharing. You've got music on both of your Macs (or any other iTunes library that might join your network - maybe a friends PC) and you want to play it in your garage, without moving the Mac? I would assume you also would want to control and browse the music without having to go back to your Mac?

Probably the best option for this is to couple a set of any powered speakers or a hifi set, and an Apple Airport Express (http://www.apple.com/au/airportexpress/features/airtunes.html). The Airport Express gets music from iTunes wirelessly and has a headphone jack on it to plug into your speakers.

In order to control the music, the best way I have found is to use either an iPod Touch or iPhone, and the free Remote (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284417350&mt=8) (link opens iTunes) app from the App Store. It allows you full control of the music library and also where to play it out of. Maybe you want Airport Express set ups all around the house!!

Hope this helps.

p.s. Are you sure Table Top isn't famous for tabletops?

jubilantjeremy
7th March 2009, 02:24 PM
Now, Music Sharing. You've got music on both of your Macs (or any other iTunes library that might join your network - maybe a friends PC) and you want to play it in your garage, without moving the Mac? I would assume you also would want to control and browse the music without having to go back to your Mac?

Nah, he's putting the mac in his garage to play music/videos, isn't that right?
I.e doesn't need an AX.

Ps.
p.s. Are you sure Table Top isn't famous for tabletops?
What???

alanthomasball
7th March 2009, 02:30 PM
Ps.
What???

It was in an advertisement for Bega cheese.
YouTube - Bega cheese ad. 2008 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRuQv-3cxj8)

alanthomasball
7th March 2009, 02:36 PM
Aaaaaanyway, howzit, Secoa?

bullrout
7th March 2009, 02:42 PM
In any home environment you want to tell any devices (like computers and other networkable appliances) to get their IP Address information automatically. This is called "DHCP". The only thing you really need to know about DHCP is the "Dynamic" bit - any device can join your network and instantly get the correct addressing info.

I was under the impression if you had more than one computer you needed to set the IP address manually to different numbers.

I would like to know if automatic is OK. I have three computers connected to my ADSL modem, one sometimes wireless and sometimes cable.

jubilantjeremy
7th March 2009, 02:47 PM
I was under the impression if you had more than one computer you needed to set the IP address manually to different numbers.

I would like to know if automatic is OK. I have three computers connected to my ADSL modem, one sometimes wireless and sometimes cable.

DHCP/Automatic is fine, that's why it's called Automatic :)
It's what its designed for.

Secoa
7th March 2009, 02:58 PM
I must be doing something wrong.

I can "see" the public folder of my main mac but when I try to connect it asks if you are a guest user or registered user. Where do i set this up on the main mac? In regards to Table top its a mountain north of Albury NSW. It has a flat summit hence the name table top. This is the first time i have answered a forum question from the garage. pretty weird.

SSUteboy
7th March 2009, 04:31 PM
This might sound stupid but when it asks for the username and password you are typing the admin of the mac you are trying to connect to. turn both fire walls off on the computers. they sould not stop you from going throught but maybe do not worry you will be protected by your hardware firewall on your router. as said above check the settings in the sharing system preference.

alanthomasball
7th March 2009, 10:50 PM
I would leave the firewall turned on in your Mac operating system. Your settings in Services will determine any file sharing operation. Just double check that Personal File Sharing is enabled on both screens.

To expand on DHCP: (very, very, very, very simplified - read here for more knowledge expansion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhcp))
-It is provided most commonly by a home router or "gateway".
-Computer turns on and electrically/radio connects to your network - commonly referred to in Windows as physical link.
-It asks the network for a DHCP provider, as it has been told to do.
-The DHCP server (built into your router or server) accepts the request and allocates a set of IP addresses for a set amount of time - four hours or so, usually.
-This then allows the computer to communicate with anyone on that network within the same range of IP addresses sets. (this includes the router itself which translates your requests to your service provider.

Secoa
8th March 2009, 07:27 AM
Thanks for all the help. MacTalk is the best help desk environment I have ever come across. No question is ever too stupid. I can now access folders I have set up as shared. Unfortunately I cannot access the itunes libray of my main Mac.

I have gone to preferences in iTunes, selected Share my Library. In iTunes on the garage Mac I cannot see the shared library. The fact the old mac is running Tiger should not affect this. I am right? If not what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

alanthomasball
8th March 2009, 09:58 AM
Secoa,
On Tiger, just hop into SysPrefs > Sharing > Firewall. Allow iTunes sharing.
On Leopard, open SysPrefs > Security > Firewall. If iTunes is not in the list, then add it via "+". If it is, make sure it is set to "Allow incoming connections".

On both systems, you need to tell iTunes to Look For, as well as share, iTunes Libraries.

Rayd
8th March 2009, 11:05 AM
also, ensure your running the latest version of itunes on the iMac :)

vid
14th January 2010, 10:54 AM
This is a bit "off topic" but I wondered if anyone can tell me how I can make my Belkin N1 router show a host NAME as the computer name instead of as it is at the moment "unknown", a friend came over and connected his ipod and it came up and said the name but my Macbook pro and my sons Xbox only show as "unknown" and their MAC address.
Thanks in advance.
Vid