PDA

View Full Version : Got an aged mac g3, crash help needed for new mac user

baconbuttyman
7th March 2009, 08:08 AM
hi all, new to this site and new mac user, usually a windows guy really.
i got this g3 mac yesterday, nice computer, worked well when initially switched on, browsing the menu's etc then found an update option, so i clicked it and all updated ok, or so it seemed, when it rebooted it got to the apple logo and the rotating sign the the mac switches off and does the same every time, i tried reseating the ram incase was loose, all well there, then i noticed the bios battery was not there, so i placed one in, the + on the battery aligned with the + on the mobo, but still nothing, turns on, the gets so far and turns off, unplugged mouese n key board as i have known faulty k+m to stop pc's from booting so i thought maybe the same of macs, but no, that dont work, so now am stumped, may i have missed a proceedural thing when replacing the bios battery, or is it in the wrong way, does it go other way round, any help would be great

Brewster
7th March 2009, 08:16 AM
If you have the system install discs try booting from them (insert the disc and hold down "c" while starting up or restarting).

Once it's up you can then use Disk Utility (on the install disc) to check the hard drive. The battery shouldn't stop it starting up, it keeps your clock and settings going while shut down.

baconbuttyman
7th March 2009, 08:18 AM
If you have the system install discs try booting from them (insert the disc and hold down "c" while starting up or restarting).

Once it's up you can then use Disk Utility (on the install disc) to check the hard drive. The battery shouldn't stop it starting up, it keeps your clock and settings going while shut down.

i got no disks with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

macuzer
7th March 2009, 09:26 AM
I'm assuming the G3 is running a version of OSX as it asked for updates, so you could try either a 'safe boot' - holding down 'shift' as you turn it on, or, if the hard drive is giving problems try and boot into 'single user mode' - hold down 'Command-S' (the command key is the one to the left of the space bar) and which boots to a Unix type prompt. At the prompt type 'fsck -fy' which does a file structure check and attempts to fix any disc errors.

baconbuttyman
7th March 2009, 10:49 PM
the machine just turns off, wont respond to any key actions, item simply turns off, i assume its something simple

stewiesno1
10th March 2009, 11:30 AM
If you had retail discs or the original discs that came with the G3 , you could boot from that and then troubleshoot.
Not having any discs makes it a lot harder.
You did install the correct voltage Pram battery didn't you ?

Stewie

baconbuttyman
10th March 2009, 11:17 PM
If you had retail discs or the original discs that came with the G3 , you could boot from that and then troubleshoot.
Not having any discs makes it a lot harder.
You did install the correct voltage Pram battery didn't you ?

i assume so, the seller gave me two, one he thought was the new one and one he thought was the old one, i put the new one? in and more or less thats when the probs started. am i right in assuming the positive end of the battery is nearest to the access panel, next to a + sign on the board?

Stewie