PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Hell

Drakx
26th May 2005, 03:36 AM
I just bought a g3 blue and white that came with no os, just tried to install 9.1 but it tells me i have to update the firmware.

It won't let me install the firmware as it complains about been on a locked drive.

would it kill the g3 if i take the drive from my imac and use it to boot the g3 to install the update???

please help it's driving me mad. :(

Mac Aid
26th May 2005, 09:17 AM
Hi Drakx,

Sounds like you are trying to install the firmware while booted from the CD. You need to have a system on the HD before you can update the firmware, as it puts a file in the startup folder.

Try installing an earlier OS if you have one. (8.6 or 9.04)

You could try the iMac HD, but you would need to have a pre 9.1 OS on it to do it, and it may not quite work properly (modem drivers etc) so you would only want to do it to get the firmware on.

Good Luck!

applecollector
26th May 2005, 09:39 AM
i have an idea take the B/w's HDD out place it into your imac install OS 9 and then place it back in your B/W then install the update!

On-Site-Tec
26th May 2005, 10:07 AM
I didnt know you could swap drives of different types of Mac's

Although i come from a background of fixing PCs, where the different hardware doesnt always let you and never likes you doing that.

Surely you could make a CD that could boot up, structured like the HD of OS9 for example if it must.

If someone makes this CD, id like to know about it :D

Matt.

purana
26th May 2005, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by On-Site-Tec@May 26 2005, 10:07 AM
Surely you could make a CD that could boot up, structured like the HD of OS9 for example if it must.

You can do this with OSX, make a bootable system on a disk.. or atleast minimal system.

meanwhile this won't solve the patching of a firmware issue. The firmware patch installer has to be ran from a drive (that is not read only) or as it says, locked.

Byrd
26th May 2005, 10:55 AM
I had the same 'hell' updating the firmware on a Blue & White as well ... the installer requires OS 9.1, not 9.0 or anything below. Once I got a 9.1 CD, installing a basic version of the OS, upgrading the firmware then it was all OK from there for OS X.

On-Site-Tec, it's very easy to create bootable Mac OS CDs. For the Classic OS, all you need is to drag the System Folder into a CD burning program along with any other software you need. Hold down C at startup, the Mac will detect the system and boot from it. It's a good thing to have on hand for troubleshooting older Macs.

With OS X it's not as easy, you need a third-party program. BootCD (http://www.charlessoft.com/) is one program that does this, and it's freeware too :thumbup:

JB

marc
26th May 2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by On-Site-Tec@May 26 2005, 10:07 AM
I didnt know you could swap drives of different types of Mac's

Although i come from a background of fixing PCs, where the different hardware doesnt always let you and never likes you doing that.
What Byrd said, plus... some pre OS X installs were different depending on the machine (remember "System Enabler" files?), but as far as I know, OS X is the same no matter what the hardware. So you can swap drives freely if you need to.

Byrd
26th May 2005, 11:50 AM
If you do a "universal install for any Macintosh computer", all System Enabler files are installed for OS 7.x, 8.x and 9.x.

JB

copycat
26th May 2005, 09:04 PM
problem solved::: I took a chance and installed 9.1 on a spare drive using the imac, i put a shortcut to the firmware update in the startup folder and popped it in the g3. The g3 booted ran the update and hey presto IT'S ALIVE, was really worried it would do some of the things that happen to imacs without the update.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. :D

Drakx
27th May 2005, 08:10 PM
Just incase Copycat was round my place when the post was made :D