PDA

View Full Version : problem viewing password in keychain/restting keychain password

cal_blam!
1st March 2009, 06:25 PM
i am trying to work out how to get a friends macbook onto my home wireless broadband network. His MB can see my network, and so presumably all i need is the network password. I can't remember what it is, my own MB usually just uses the password that is stored in the keychain.

So...when I look in keychain access, in the "system" keychain, i can see the item named "iinetetcetc", its type is "Airport Network Password". I select it, and in the attributes I tick "show password". Then a box pops up asking me to "KeKeychain Access wants permission to ue the 'iinetetcetc' item from your keychain. Please enter the keychain password".

I cannot enter the keychain password because i do not know what it is.

I tried to reset the keychain password by running the keychain first aid repair, it reported back to me as follows:

Repair started
Checking keychain configuration for Callum C (user ID=501)
Home directory is /Users/callumc
Checked login keychain
Checked password for ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain
Checked settings for ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain
Settings for ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain may cause the keychain to be locked
Current values: lockOnSleep=no, autoLock=never
Settings corrected on ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain
Checked default keychain
Checked keychain search list
Checked contents of ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain
Checked contents of /Library/Keychains/System.keychain
Problems successfully repaired
Repair completed

Still cannot access the keychain. Have found people on web saying the repair utility does not work. Is it true that I cannot change the keychain password if forgotten? Is there any way I can find out what the iinetetcetc network password is?

--- system is OSX 10.4.11 - I do not have the original OS disks they are packed away in boxes far far away ---

Cal

Huy
1st March 2009, 06:27 PM
What router do you have?

cal_blam!
1st March 2009, 06:33 PM
Its a Belkin wireless from iinet.

iinet support ran me through a routine where I look at 10.1.1.1 and I got a password from router - it was very long digits and letters. i think that something or other was 128 bit encoded. however the iinet support had very thick south african accents (they are in capetown) and I couldnt understand too well.

we suspected that the long number is the network password, but when we tried it on Lukes machine it would not work.

Maybe this is the right password, and he needs to change his settings on his MB?

Im trying to get access to the keychan so I can confirm the password that my machine has in it.

Huy
1st March 2009, 06:36 PM
How do you install software/authenticate, if you do not know your own Keychain password?

Extreme solution:
I would just reset your router and its settings and reconfigure or change the wireless network password if you have access to the router web interface. Then fix your own system by wiping it and starting again, this time, knowing your own password (which is very useful for installing things).

Also take a look at your wireless network security settings e.g. any MAC address filters.

Hope you get it sorted.

My 2c.

cal_blam!
1st March 2009, 06:45 PM
How do you install software/authenticate, if you do not know your own Keychain password?

I usually just use the system admin password. Which btw i thought was the same as the keychain password, back in 2007 i deleted the login keychain and ran a repair and i think this made the passwords the same from recollection.

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/13/34027-change-keychain-pssword.html

Recently I changed the login password, but neither the new nor old passwords work for keychain. Now im getting even more confused.

Huy
1st March 2009, 06:46 PM
The Keychain is separate. But I have them set to the same (not recommended, but I do it anyway).

I still think you should start fresh, even if it does not affect your daily computing so that you know all passwords.

cal_blam!
1st March 2009, 06:56 PM
OK newsflash....

I have a password in the login keychain for the network I am currently on (it is called EVANS). In keychain access, I can make it show me the EVANS airport network password - when it asks me for the keychain password, I just tell it the same system admin password I use for everything else --> my keychain password is the same as my admin password.

But the iinetetcetc airport network password is in the system keychain. The EVANS password also appears in there as well as in login keychain. (no idea why). When I try and make keychain access show me either of these items form the system keychain, it is telling me "invalid password".

Why does my password work for items in the login keychain and not the system keychain?