PDA

View Full Version : what are the chances.....

Quamen
9th June 2004, 06:37 AM
ok. So I just secured me some cash for a powerbook.

And I know they just released the new versions of the G4 powerbooks, and that the edu warranty thingo is going to end June 28th or something. Which is what made me want to get it NOW.

But what are the chances of a G5 powerbook comming anytime soon? What is the normal update cycle for macs, in particular their laptops? Will there likely be a 3rd revision of the G4 books before a G5 model is released?

LCGuy
9th June 2004, 08:04 AM
I'd say we'll probably be waiting at least a year for another update to the PowerBooks.

the_OM
10th June 2004, 01:08 PM
Definately another year...... with the new powermacs needing liquid cooling devices for 2.5ghz models, I would say that the powerbooks have quite a way to go.

sillydog701
10th June 2004, 01:27 PM
You will never get a computer that can stay in the cutting edge for long.

If you urgently need it, get it now, otherwise, wait.

Atomic
10th June 2004, 02:06 PM
Tom Broger - Director of Apple's Powermac Pro Product Marketing says:

"I think it's important to realize that the technical challenges are not trivial putting that G5 in a PowerBook or anything else and not to expect a G5 anytime soon in a PowerBook -- certainly not before the end of the year".

I would say at least another year.

Quamen
10th June 2004, 02:24 PM
excellent. Is just what I was thinking. Happy to have it confirmed as I bought my 12" powerbook yesterday :D

OziMac
10th June 2004, 04:03 PM
Me too - 15" fully specced with 1GB RAM on its way... but what do you mean by "the EDU warrany thing is going to end on June 28"????

pipsqeek
10th June 2004, 04:56 PM
Precisely that!

Steve :angry: @Apple

Quamen
10th June 2004, 05:19 PM
I mean if you buy after the 28th of June you will have to pay for the extra 3 years applecare that you get standard now when you buy EDU prices.

OziMac
10th June 2004, 10:18 PM
Wow, that's a real bummer - where's that said? Somewhere on the website (I couldn't find it, but I probbly wasn't looking hard enough...)

decryption
10th June 2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Quamen@Jun 10 2004, 05:19 PM
I mean if you buy after the 28th of June you will have to pay for the extra 3 years applecare that you get standard now when you buy EDU prices.
Would there be a price reduction on educational purchases?
Seeing as we're getting 2 years less warranty, I think a larger discount is needed.
If Apple decides not to pass on the savings, that's not cool at all.

estoyloco
11th June 2004, 09:16 AM
The 3 Year warranty is a pretty big bonus, if you need the power then get a powermac G5, my powerbook is good for video editing and music composition.. It may take a few extra seconds/minutes to render the video but it is still fast and way faster than my friends 1.7GHZ centrino when he uses the Adobe Video editing program....

So the speed is there, people just cant get over the psycological barrier of the G4 speed system.
The powerbook at the moment is fine and if your doing surfing and wordprocessing then get an ibook, but if you want to do some video editing, web design, graphic design etc this is fine and still really fast....

Programs that i have personally tested to work fast
- Final Cut Express 2
- DVD studio pro 2
- Adobe Photoshop CS
- Logic Audio

Thats my two cents..

But you gotta face it that when the G5 comes out you will be killing yourself for buying the previous model. I mean look at apples release history,

iMac comes out, then 17" comes out with major price drop
G5 comes out, then dual 1.8 comes out less expensive then then old single 1.8 G5, and this within a couple of months,,, its just what happens

I nearly bought a NEW 1.33GHZ 17" PB with the ipod promo, when it was $5499.

about one month later they dropped to clear at $4000, now they are $3800, imagine how bad i would have felt..
Luckily i got the 1.5GHZ.

It just the way it goes...

Quamen
11th June 2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by decryption+Jun 10 2004, 11:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (decryption @ Jun 10 2004, 11:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Quamen@Jun 10 2004, 05:19 PM
Would there be a price reduction on educational purchases?
Seeing as we&#39;re getting 2 years less warranty, I think a larger discount is needed.
If Apple decides not to pass on the savings, that&#39;s not cool at all. [/b][/quote]
From what I understood, when talking to the guy in the store. There is no plan for a price drop.

Now if there is a price drop of more than &#036;500 on the EDU prices then I will be annoyed. As I bought mine so I could get the free warranty. If it is just a &#036;500 drop then I won&#39;t be too bothered. As it would work out the same if you bought the extra warranty.

kim jong il
11th June 2004, 02:26 PM
Asked a knowlegable friend about this issue. It appears now that on the NEW educational deals, that if you want the extended 3 year warranty the price you will end up paying is (more or less)......... NORMAL RETAIL.

I&#39;ve only ever had one mac die on me (we&#39;re talking hardware failure here) (LC475 SCSI bus died one day on startup after 6 years-actually it didn&#39;t startup (for the pedants, YES, it does boot from a floppy)). Other people known to me have either had issues immediately (more or less) or at the end of the machines life.

What am I getting at? 3 years gives peace of mind, but like currawong (and his views on religion and macs :) ) I have faith. If it&#39;s going to die, it will probably happen sooner rather than later so the extra 2 years seems not quite so important to me. But then, I&#39;m not eligible for a discount either.

Before the flames start, I understand that other people will/may have different stories to tell.

cheers, kim

Currawong
11th June 2004, 02:39 PM
All things considering....I paid &#036;3500 for a Powerbook 520 I think in 1993...

Bugger the pricing, what you can get now for &#036;4k used to cost &#036;7k. I&#39;d rather pay for a computer that&#39;ll last longer, so I&#39;d get the Applecare warranty.

We are used to having 3 years warranty buying EDU. If it&#39;s not there, it&#39;s not there. That Apple *should* either keep it or give further discounts is rubbish, as much as they *should* have if the extended warranty hadn&#39;t existed in the first place.

It&#39;s more correct that some people will be put off by not being able to get the warranty any longer without paying for it. I suspect that the reason for abolishing it is because higher costs in machines may have been paying for those extended warranties, ie: the machines will get cheaper in the long run anyway.

LCGuy
11th June 2004, 06:09 PM
Blah, stupid Apple...not giving a rat&#39;s ass about their customers as per usual.... :angry:

Sometimes i wish Sculley was still at Apple...he was good...he kept product quality high, profits good, market share high (in the late &#39;80s, anyhoo), and kept customers happy.