PDA

View Full Version : Updates to Office v X

Secoa
20th January 2004, 06:47 AM
Does anyone know what are the major changes to Microsoft Office version X. I watched the Macworld presentation and thought the presentation for Office was pretty lame.

One major gripe I have is the way Office limits the filename to 32(??) characters. Such limitation is not driven by restrictions in OSX. Why do they have this??

I use a Mac for my consulting business and I have been trying to convince my colleagues that most things you do on a PC can be done on a Mac. It is amazing that many people are not aware that the basic tools (word processing / spreadsheets / presentations / email etc.) to work in the business world are also available on the Mac and that most files work on either operating sysytem platforms.

The above ignores the great iLife apps that most people use to justify to have a PC at home.

Thanks

decryption
20th January 2004, 09:37 AM
This site from Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/officex/officex.aspx?pid=whatsnew) has some info on what's new in Office v. X

The filename thing is because Office was written using the Carbon frameworks. Carbon apps are limited to 31 characters in the filename. Cocoa applications do not have this limitation. I think during the keynote address (how relieved were the MS dudes when their bit was over? :P) they mentioned it being all done in Cocoa now, so the filename length limitation wouldn't be there anymore.

Secoa
20th January 2004, 08:03 PM
they mentioned it being all done in Cocoa now, so the filename length limitation wouldn't be there anymore.

If this is true then it might be worthwhile to upgrade. I use many files that are created firstly in Excel 2003 (XP version). Such files are linked and have filenames greater than 32 charatcers.

When I open them up on my Mac, Office X renames the files and all the links stop working. Which basically means I cannot use my Mac for this area of work.

Obviously I have to wait to see if it is fixed.

Thanks

elvis
20th January 2004, 09:47 PM
Another reminder that Open Office runs fine on Mac OSX with Apple's X11, opens all Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint formats, as well as other word processor/spreadhseet formats, exports to both PDF (and MacroMedia Flash (SWF) in the upcoming 1.1.0 release due soon [available as source build now]), and is 100% FREE for download.

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/

Why are we still paying Microsoft for crap programming? :D

decryption
20th January 2004, 10:31 PM
It'll be fantastic when OpenOffice can be run without having to use X11. So many Mac users will adopt it and shaft Office (finally!).

elvis
22nd January 2004, 09:17 AM
You're not wrong! It's been in development for a while now, and the preview screenshots look great. Plus, apple has made a deal with Troll Tech to move Qt over to Mac OSX and intergrate it with Carbon which means native linux->MacOSX ports for heaps more applications soon!

I can't wait for things like Ximian Evolution, Open Office and GNUCash to all go native OSX!