PDA

View Full Version : Airport Has Died

UglyBoy
23rd May 2005, 09:12 PM
Ever since I've had my iBook G4, I've had it connected to my ADSL wirelessly through a Dynelink RTA300W modem/router/switch. I've been using 128-bit WEP and association control for security, but have had the SSID broadcast on as I was having problems connecting if it was hidden. It's been working fine.

Up until now.

Over the past weekend, my connection was really slow, and dropped out entirely on occaision. Now I can't even connect to the network at all.

I have tried turning off WEP on the base station, and this works, but the slow/dropout problem keeps recurring after I've been connected for 20-30 mins.

I have tried changing the WEP key.

I have tried deleting the network settgins for the wireless network (including keychain entries) and setting it up again.

Sometimes, when I try to re-connect, I get the "There eas an error..." message, which doesn't give me a clue as to what's going wrong.

Sometimes I can see the network in the dropdown from the menubar, sometimes I can't. iStumber can see the network regardless.

First up: can anyone offer any advice?

OR:

Can anyone tell me how to get a more detailled error message so I can try an diagnose the probem myself?

(I'm running 10.3.9 if it makes a difference.)

The Architect.mac
23rd May 2005, 09:23 PM
If you aren't already,

Try DCHP ing all your network settings off the router to pick up all correct ip, gateway, subnets etc.

Might even be worth a factory default reset on the router and then resetting up

I certainly wouldn't let the base station open without encryption.

If iStumbler can see it always, maybe some interference is in play like you moved the microwave or something (grasping at straws).

Hows the ADSL when hardplugged via ethernet, is it all gravy??

Cheers :ph34r:

dangelovich
23rd May 2005, 09:27 PM
Have you tried resetting the wireless router? Most of them have a hard reset function.
See if there are firmware updates for it too.
Also, try changing which channel the network operates on. It could just be that someone/something nearby is interfering. I usually run on channel 11, as it's just out of range of my panasonic 2.4ghz cordless phone.

Are you able to connect with another wireless device altogether?

UglyBoy
23rd May 2005, 09:36 PM
@The Architect.mac: I certainly wouldn't let the base station open without encryption.

Believe me, I really don't want to! :)

@The Architect.mac: Hows the ADSL when hardplugged via ethernet, is it all gravy??

No probs at all.

@The Architect.mac: Might even be worth a factory default reset on the router and then resetting up

@dangelovich: Have you tried resetting the wireless router? Most of them have a hard reset function.

I hadn't though of that... will have to try it -- thanks.

@dangelovich: Are you able to connect with another wireless device altogether?

My BT phone and keyboard connect OK, but I don't have any other Wi-Fi devices to connect to.

UglyBoy
23rd May 2005, 09:57 PM
Quick update: Upgraded the firmware, no dice.

Something I should have mentioned before as well... when I did have a connection, everytime I put my iBook to sleep, I had to try and re-establish the connection manually when I woke it up again. This had never happened before.

Update #2: Have done a hard rest on the modem, still no luck. This is starting to get me down. :(

Mac Aid
25th May 2005, 11:53 AM
Is it only (ore mostly) dropping when you sleep the iBook? If so, try deleting again all the Keychain entries relating to the router, and then running keychain repair.

All macs drop the airport connection when they go to sleep, normally however, they transparently re-connect when you wake up, so a stored password problem can cause this behavior.

Failing all of this, there could also be a problem with your airport antenna. Is or has your hinge been stiff? Some iBooks have a fault with the hinge, that eventually leads to the Airport antenna wire failing. Does the behavior improve if you are sitting right next to the router? try re-seating the airport card and antenna. The antenna needs to be firmly in the card, and the card firmly in the slot. This requires a surprising amount of force if it's an airport extreme card.

Good Luck!

UglyBoy
28th May 2005, 01:28 PM
I've managed to get things up and running again, but I don't know exactly what it was that I did to make it work.

Many thanks for all the help, though.

GimliNZ
28th May 2005, 02:03 PM
when I did have a connection, everytime I put my iBook to sleep, I had to try and re-establish the connection manually when I woke it up again. This had never happened before.
I had a similar problem to that, which I finally resolved by deleting the
com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
preference file
Here's the link to the thread:
http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?act=ST&f=23&t=8270
in case it may help for the future.

gene
28th May 2005, 02:30 PM
hey UglyBoy,

having the same problem, my iMac G5 is hooked up to my base station and have exactly the same problems as you, cant connect to the network, gives me an error saying that I cant connect to the network (doesn't give me a reason as to why not), wont sign onto the network automatically, etc..

hard resetted it and all but my internet connection is so much slower than it should be. running on 512 but max downloads are at 22kb/s

when I connect using the built-in-ethernet its so much quicker.

am I not doing a few things right?

Regards,

gene