PDA

View Full Version : How embarassing

decryption
8th June 2004, 11:45 AM
I'm sitting in the general computer lab at RMIT, across from the ITS help desk. Someone came in asking for a wireless card for their computer, and they were asked,
"Is it for a Macintosh or Windows computer?"
The lady looks totally stumped.
"Huh?"
"Is your computer a Mactinosh, or do you use Windows?"
"I, don't know."
"Umm, okay, you need to find out then come back and we'll help you out."

THIS PERSON DIDN'T KNOW WHAT FUCKING OS THEY'RE USING.
How does one manage to use a computer without knowing which operating system they're starting at while using the computer?

Anyways.. I had to vent that frustration.

artisan
8th June 2004, 01:45 PM
Heh, you've obviusly haven't worked in tech support.
My unfortunate time there (1 year and never again) has given me proof that most people are idiots.

People not knowing what operating system they were running was on the sad beginning. I had calls from people not knowing how to switch on a computer,monitor and use a powerplug. Some people lost their cd's somewhere inside their computer with it never returning to them.. (They stuck it between the drives... Don't ask! )

Most would swear they didn't have that option in the menu and later read it out to me when i asked them to read from the top. (Pulling my f*****g hair out)

Some blamed the ISP for the slow connection and the constant disconnections when i could hardly hear them due to line noise.

Then you had the following questions from customers that i've received;

"double click" ??
"WTF is the internet" ?
"wasn't that thing that comes out of the computer a cup holder" ? (Cd tray)
"WTF do you mean right click" ?!?!?
"I'm running the latest version of windows...... ME: click start, what does it say on the left side of the bar.... Customer: erm, windows98... "
"i'm running os9 ... ME: click on apple, ... ... Customer: all i have is a start button"

There were plenty more, but i can't think of any atm..

Quamen
8th June 2004, 02:29 PM
Hey decryption. What course are you doing at RMIT?

hehe, tech stories are some of the funniest things in the world. I love them. Some people are so fucking stupid.

Shawry
8th June 2004, 03:19 PM
Those stories are so funny whenever i hear them.

I do a bit of tech support when im not busy and its amazing how scared people are of computers!

LCGuy
8th June 2004, 04:49 PM
One time Dad was using the LCIII, and he needed to use a floppy, so he stuck it into the LC630, and he was wondering why the LCIII didn't recognise it... :rolleyes:

decryption
8th June 2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Quamen@Jun 8 2004, 02:29 PM
Hey decryption. What course are you doing at RMIT?
I'm not at RMIT anymore, I studied the Advance Diploma of Computer Systems Engineering there last year. This year I'm at Swinburne doing Diploma of Network Engineering.
But my RMIT NDS login still works, and I go there when things get too loud at home to concentrate on my work because it's closer to where I live than Swinburne :P

Are you at RMIT Quamen?

Byrd
8th June 2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by LCGuy@Jun 8 2004, 04:49 PM
One time Dad was using the LCIII, and he needed to use a floppy, so he stuck it into the LC630, and he was wondering why the LCIII didn't recognise it... :rolleyes:
No understand LCGuy :)

Decryption your story as described outlines 95% of the population. Almost nobody cares what they're running, just as long at it works, and powers on. After a few years, they'll look over at someone else and see they've got a bigger screen, or it's a different colour, and decide they need to upgrade so that Microsoft Word will be all the better.

I always remember at La Trobe Uni they had 50:50 PC and Macs, PC's being 486DX2-66 16MB/350HD machines they had for years in the student computer lab, which were as crap as, but running WinNT 4.0 which was at least stable. The Macs on the other hand were 7300/120's running OS 8.5 which was a terrible OS, unresponsive and always crashing. No-one went near them, even though they were much better machines.

I've met my fare share of computer illiterates over the years.

- One uni mate I asked what sort of computer he had. His reply? Uhh ... Mitsubishi? His monitor of course was just that.

- Telling a woman from work 'just give me the box' to be given the mouse, keyboard, modem, power cord, video cable, phone line (about 15 metres of it) still plugged in to the case, dragging behind her as she bought it in.

- People dropping off worthless machines, eg. 386DX-20s and wanting Windows 95. One guy was so adamant it would work, I did it. Took 6 hours to install, on a doublespaced hard disk, and was completely shithouse.

- Why don't I get any Macs to fix? They're always a dream to upgrade and repair, without much intervention from myself.

I don't work in IT, just in a profession where no-one knows anything about computers. Over the years, I'd like to think my knowledge of PC and Mac hardware has become pretty good. I don't promote my skills at all now, just play dumb to all, and only offer my services to those people who I suss out to not be dickheads or users.

'Users' are defined as those people that when you fix their computer, any subsequent problem has been caused by you. Or, they don't give you anything for your efforts (I don't expect much, small jobs = nothing, medium = bottle of red, big = $25/hour or sexual favours*) **

* = sexual favours only from slim women under 25.
** = this hasn't happened yet

EDIT: slim women aged 18 - 25 :)

JB

Quamen
8th June 2004, 08:55 PM
oh ok. hehe. I'll have to remember that for when I finish.

Yea I am at RMIT doing computer systems engineering/computer science. In my second year. But I am dropping the engineering. Resistors, capacitors, and the hardware involved really isn't interesting me. I would much rather just write the software.

Alessiman
8th June 2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by decryption@Jun 8 2004, 04:55 PM
But my RMIT NDS login still works
Thats eDirectory not NDS ;-)

Novell stopped using the NDS Moniker from version 8.6

hehe. Just being predantic :-)

LCGuy
8th June 2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by bYrd@Jun 8 2004, 08:55 PM
No understand LCGuy :)
I don't understand it either...he told me there was a problem with the LCIII's floppy drive, so i went in to have a look at it, sat down, and the first thing i noticed was that there was a floppy drive in my turned off, and unplugged LC630. I eject it with a paperclip, fire up the LCIII, put the floppy in, and it worked. I don't know WHY he put the floppy in the 630....

decryption
8th June 2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Quamen@Jun 8 2004, 08:55 PM
doing computer systems engineering/computer science. In my second year. But I am dropping the engineering. Resistors, capacitors, and the hardware involved really isn't interesting me. I would much rather just write the software.
Yeah, that's why I got out of Engineering. Too much electronics for my liking :P

decryption
8th June 2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Alessiman+Jun 8 2004, 09:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alessiman @ Jun 8 2004, 09:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-decryption@Jun 8 2004, 04:55 PM
But my RMIT NDS login still works
Thats eDirectory not NDS ;-)

Novell stopped using the NDS Moniker from version 8.6

hehe. Just being predantic :-) [/b][/quote]
I didn&#39;t know that&#33;
RMIT still refers to it as NDS in all it&#39;s literature :(

stickman67
8th June 2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by bYrd@Jun 8 2004, 08:55 PM
- Why don&#39;t I get any Macs to fix? They&#39;re always a dream to upgrade and repair, without much intervention from myself.
Yep&#33; Every now and again we used to have a problem at the publishing company I worked for. (All Macs of course -- creative types&#33; Oops&#33; Mac Myth Alert&#33;)

So we&#39;d ring the local reseller. They were nice guys but gave pretty slow service. (I&#39;m not saying who they are. They may or may not have been in Bathurst, NSW, and may or may not still be in business. ;) )

Every single time, except for one or two instances of total hardware failure (very, very rare) I&#39;d be able to nut things out for myself (eventually -- slightly impaired mentally -- did I mention creative type? :rolleyes: ).

Then I had to call them and cancel the service order.

I don&#39;t think they liked me very much at times like that. :P

kim jong il
9th June 2004, 12:00 AM
OK. but you just got to love &#39;em. If we were all perfect life would be so dull. Human behaviour is both marvellous and bewildering. I find it comforting in a strange way.

kim

stickman67
9th June 2004, 10:37 PM
Well, I can&#39;t argue with that, Kim.

&#39;Deed I can&#39;t&#33;

:lol: