PDA

View Full Version : MAC OS question from new Mac user

willjoesam
17th February 2009, 01:28 PM
I bought a PowerMac5 on ebay with Leopard 10.5.5 installed. The install CD's are Tiger however. How do I check if I have a legal copy of Leopard on my system? Can I purchase a legit copy? The reason I ask is because I can't install the os software update or iwork 09 trial. All other .dmg files have been ok to install.

Thank you.

chrome
17th February 2009, 01:32 PM
There are no license keys for OS X. If you were not supplied with the OS install disks with your machine, the previous owner most likely used a legit copy to install it but held onto the disks for themselves.

You can buy your own copy of Leopard from any Apple store. It's relatively cheap, and recommended in case you ever need to reinstall.

It's always a good idea to do a fresh install of a machine if you buy it second hand anyway, because you never know what they've done to the system to break it ;)

Japester
17th February 2009, 01:38 PM
You don't have a legit copy of Leopard. Pure and simple.

Lutze
17th February 2009, 01:53 PM
You don't have a legit copy of Leopard. Pure and simple.

That's not technically accurate.

He may well have a legit copy of Leopard. However the system seller may not have provided the install disk.

I'd certainly go with the other post and say "buy a copy from a vendor" because if something does go wrong having the install disk available helps lots.

It might be worth while checking your purchase information - if it mentions 10.5 and disks you should ask for them!

melbmac
17th February 2009, 02:11 PM
Just go buy a copy, problem solved.

As was mentioned before, I'd be doing a fresh install.

thorntonp
17th February 2009, 02:19 PM
keep those tiger disks though - thay may be the original ones that came with the machine, and may be needed if you ever have to erase the hard drive and re-install from scratch.

I'd say the old owner upgraded to Leopard, and kept those disks

Japester
17th February 2009, 02:48 PM
That's not technically accurate.

He may well have a legit copy of Leopard. However the system seller may not have provided the install disk. ...

You're right. I went with the assumption that it wasn't legit, as that's what I would expect in this scenario. Personally, as the seller, I would have installed Tiger, as that's all I had to go with it.

banjo
18th February 2009, 07:02 AM
I bought a PowerMac5 on ebay with Leopard 10.5.5 installed. The install CD's are Tiger however. How do I check if I have a legal copy of Leopard on my system?

Ask the seller where the disk is.

If they have it, ask them to send it to you. If they say they lost it or broke it, then assume you have a legit copy -- if you have a friend with a disk, borrow theirs to install the updates.

However if they say they kept it to install on their old system, and the eBay listing did not specifically say that 10.5 was included, then you do not have legit copy. If the listing said it was included, then I would assume that the copy you have is legit and they copy the seller has is not -- take a screen shot of the listing and save in a safe place for future reference.