PDA

View Full Version : Where To Get Powerbook Case Parts?

Zardoz
23rd May 2005, 01:09 AM
All,

I've got a 1.5Ghz superdrive G4 which I was reassembling just before but I made a stupid error and put a longer screw in one of the holes in the battery compartment which screws the top bit on so now I have a nasty chipped lump sitting on the top of my PowerBook's case ...

This is the part where the keyboard sits in and I am after a replacement.

Does anyone know where I can get one? How much will one cost as an Apple spare part? What about getting a service tech to install it for me (so I don't do the same stupid mistake again)? eBay is not an option as I have no credit card (and nobody in oz is selling such parts - only the states).

This is concerning as my hinges are a bit funny and my screen has white patches on it and I need to get those fixed under warranty - but I don't think that they'll like me very much if I hand my 'book in with obvious damage.

I am also seeking the foam slot cover for the optical drive as mine seems to be very stiff and places a strain on the optical drive when it ejects discs.

Thanks.

Ozi
23rd May 2005, 11:19 AM
the case parts are very expensive: I recall Arty quoting $300 + for the base aluminium part of that model of powerbook. I assume the part you will need will be similarly expensive. :( You can get them through any apple reseller: they just look up the database and find the part, then order it in for you.

purana
23rd May 2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Zardoz@May 23 2005, 01:09 AM
I've got a 1.5Ghz superdrive G4 which I was reassembling just before but I made a stupid error and put a longer screw in one of the holes in the battery compartment which screws the top bit on so now I have a nasty chipped lump sitting on the top of my PowerBook's case ...

This mistake is very common.. Seen it happen when I was on training.. although seen it done on a imac flat panel :)

Always take note of the screw sizes (this is why the apple service manuals spell out the sizes of the screws for certain spots).

Your going to need someone in the game to order you the parts..