PDA

View Full Version : File Downloader with Scheduling

alanthomasball
15th February 2009, 04:44 PM
Hi All.
Does anyone know of a file downloader that has a scheduling function?
Just for all those files you need, but it can wait until offpeak data time!
Cheers,

Nexus
15th February 2009, 04:57 PM
Both iGetter and Speed Download support this (google around) but the free app Ration is set to allow the support of scheduled downloads. If you are on telstra / optus / internode you should really check it out.

Also Transmission allows this in its options (if this is your sort of thing).

lenman74
15th February 2009, 05:13 PM
Will ration or any of the other apps stop itunes podcasts from being downloaded during the day?

alanthomasball
15th February 2009, 05:22 PM
Cheers. Ration looks good. But by blarg (get it? huh?) iGetter is ugly.

denwol
15th February 2009, 05:23 PM
you can stop it from automatically downloading podcasts in itunes under preferences and store.
igetter is also free (there is an option to pay) if you dont mind a startup screen for 10 seconds and you can schedule downloads.

alanthomasball
15th February 2009, 06:15 PM
I installed a copy of Ration, and in itself it looks like a good option for tracking your data allowance with your ISP.
It seems though that extra functions like controlling applications and so on will come soon in Plugin form.
One thing that was annoying was the icon that sits in the menu bar is not movable (hold Command + drag) like all the others.
Looking ok though.

Back2Bedlam
15th February 2009, 06:27 PM
Also Transmission allows this in its options (if this is your sort of thing).

It does? Where?

Paul_G
15th February 2009, 07:10 PM
It does? Where?

Preferences > Bandwidth > Speed Limit. Set them to zero during peak times, so it will only download outside of those times.

Nexus
15th February 2009, 07:52 PM
One thing that was annoying was the icon that sits in the menu bar is not movable (hold Command + drag) like all the others.
Looking ok though.

Wow, after all this time I never knew that. Thanks!

Preferences > Bandwidth > Speed Limit. Set them to zero during peak times, so it will only download outside of those times.

I just set them to one, keep things ticking over :)

alanthomasball
16th February 2009, 12:08 AM
Wow, after all this time I never knew that. Thanks!
You're welcome. I live to give.
It really comes in handy when using iStat Menus for Date/Day/Time display - saves you disabling ALL items and then adding them in the order you want them to display.

Oh, and if you're all interested, the Speed Limit Scheduler feature in Transmission DOES support "next day scheduling". ( I had to ask in the Trans. forums )
So for my iiNet setup I schedule Speed Limit to download zero and upload 20k between 11:55 and 02:05.
This means that I will not incur any downloads in peak times, but I allow a certain upload (which isn't metered on iINet anyways) during peak times.
Oh, and as for the slightly odd time values: for some reason it can take a minute or two for a download/upload piece to finish.

It makes sense to me.

froggy
16th February 2009, 02:25 AM
Cheers. Ration looks good.

I can't find Ration. Got a link, please?

Cheers

Back2Bedlam
16th February 2009, 08:51 AM

That's hardly a scheduler preference, that would stop you using the application at any other time.

MissionMan
16th February 2009, 09:19 AM
I'm testing Speed Download 5 for Anthony at the moment so I'll try to get the review up as soon as I can.

alanthomasball
16th February 2009, 09:41 AM
That's hardly a scheduler preference, that would stop you using the application at any other time.
Well that was my original post question. Delaying download until offpeak times.