PDA

View Full Version : OSX 10.5 Connection Failed Message (networked Mac)

timma
13th February 2009, 09:27 PM
When I log in to my personal user profile at home on my MacBook, as soon as Airport connects to my home wireless network I get the following message;

"Connection Failed"

"The server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and your network connection and try again."

My troubleshooting has discovered that this is only displayed when my iMac (which is also connected to the same network via Airport) is turned off or not connected. When the iMac is connected to the network, the MacBook does not display the connection failed message when it connects.

What I think is happening is that the MacBook is looking for the iMac whenever I connect to the network, because I have connected to it previously. My question is, how do I stop the MacBook from searching for the iMac whenever I log in, or how do I stop this message from being displayed?

I have looked in the Recent Servers folder in the Library and this is empty. I have also looked online at Apple Support and it suggested putting the IP address of the iMac into the DNS server field in System Preferences - Network - DNS, but this doesnt seem to stop the Connection Failed message from appearing either.

Any assistance fellow MacTalkers could provide with this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Tim.