PDA

View Full Version : .VOB Files...convert or burn?

ebbi
13th February 2009, 02:30 PM
Hi guys,

New member here, and relatively new to the Mac OS X scene. I've been visiting this site for a while now, but only registered today as I am a little stuck.

I recently got back from an overseas trip and took videos using my friends Sony DVD Camcorder. Altogether I have about 5 full DVD discs, which are those small 8cm discs.

The problem I am having is that the files were recorded as .vob files located in a VIDEO_TS folder. iMovie apparently does not accept .vob files, so I used Handbrake to convert the file to .mp4. However, with the resulting file I found out that it is not in widescreen format like the original .vob file is. Am I not using the right settings?

So is there a program that I can use that I can just burn the .vob files directly to a regular sized DVD so that I can just watch them on my DVD player?
I have about 5 discs, and each disc has 2 .vob files located in the VIDEO_TS folder. And what makes it worse is that apparently I can't put the small disk into my Macbook Pro, so I have to use my old Dell laptop and extract the files from the DVD and save it to a USB drive and transfer it to my Mac.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. I'm having family over tomorrow and they want to watch the videos. I tried putting the small DVD's into my Panasonic DVD player but it says 'Unsupported disc' :(

Huy
13th February 2009, 03:06 PM
Toast should do it.

~Coxy
13th February 2009, 03:16 PM
Can iMovie import MPEG-2? If so, you should be able to use 0SEx to convert the vob files into progressive streams of MPEG2+audio.

ebbi
13th February 2009, 03:47 PM
Is there a free alternative to Toast?
I don't have a credit card so I won't be able to purchase it.

Isn't OSEx similar to Handbrake?

~Coxy
13th February 2009, 05:01 PM
0SEx doesn't do any encoding, so it's not really similar.

Randallg
13th February 2009, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE=ebbi;747311]Hi guys,

New member here, and relatively new to the Mac OS X scene. I've been visiting this site for a while now, but only registered today as I am a little stuck.

I recently got back from an overseas trip and took videos using my friends Sony DVD Camcorder. Altogether I have about 5 full DVD discs, which are those small 8cm discs.

The problem I am having is that the files were recorded as .vob files located in a VIDEO_TS folder. iMovie apparently does not accept .vob files, so I used Handbrake to convert the file to .mp4. However, with the resulting file I found out that it is not in widescreen format like the original .vob file is. Am I not using the right settings?

Handbrake certainly has picture resolution settings so have you played around with these?

gikku
13th February 2009, 06:34 PM
could try iSquint :):)
I throw .avi files in to convert to mp4

ebbi
13th February 2009, 07:43 PM
0SEx doesn't do any encoding, so it's not really similar.

Sorry to be such a n00b, but what's 'encoding'? :o

geektechnu
13th February 2009, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE=ebbi;747311]Hi guys,

Handbrake certainly has picture resolution settings so have you played around with these?
See: AnamorphicGuide - HandBrake - Trac (http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/AnamorphicGuide)

Sorry to be such a n00b, but what's 'encoding'? :o
Changing the compression format of the video.