PDA

View Full Version : Can I safely delete programs in the library

Granny Mac
12th February 2009, 01:42 PM
I have no use for iMovie, iChat or Chess, I'm still undecided about garage band. Can I delete these programs without causing any dramas.
iMovie is just for editing etc your own movies isn't it and iChat is just for live chatting, is their any other uses for these programs
I'm just being picky but one of the reasons I switched is because I hate my computer being bogged down with unnecessary programs that I am never going to use.
thanks

Salamander
12th February 2009, 02:09 PM
Are you talking about programs in the 'Applications' folder, such as iMovie etc, or are you talking about files/folders in the the System/Library or User/Library (may have got the path wrong). My understanding is that programs in the 'Applications' folder are fairly self sufficient and can be deleted.

There may be some exceptions, eg can you delete Quicktime Player and still leave iTunes functioning?

jubilantjeremy
12th February 2009, 02:55 PM
Hey, they won't 'bog down' your computer unless you start running out of hard disk space. That's not really how it works.

If I were you I'd leave them, and only delete them if/when you start needing the space.

3dward_Shaddow
12th February 2009, 03:14 PM
You can remove iMovie, iChat and Chess from your applications folder. Just drag the icon to the trash. No mess no fuss. But as Jeremy said, they are not doing anything. Just remove them from your dock and you'll never have to look at them.