PDA

View Full Version : Re charging battery when overseas

family
10th February 2009, 09:29 AM
We have a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ18.
We live in Australia
How do we re charge the battery since the USA & canada have 110 power.

Geoff3DMN
10th February 2009, 09:31 AM
You need a voltage invertor of some kind.

Something like this would do the job (although I gather there are smaller phone specific types available as well now).

200 watt STEP UP & DOWN VOLTAGE CONVERTER TRANSFORMER - OZtion Auction Item 5509767 (http://www.oztion.com.au/buy/auction.aspx?itemid=5509767&d=&sort=0&pg=1&cat=3369&view=List&f1=&f2=&type2=&type3=&type4=&type5=&s=&pcode=&dis=0&freepost=)

leon
10th February 2009, 09:32 AM
We have a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ18.
We live in Australia
How do we re charge the battery since the USA & canada have 110 power.

Check the charger and look to see if it is a voltage switching model. 99% of modern battery chargers will state "Operating volate 110V to 240V".

If your states this, then it will be fine to just plug it into a U.S wall socket.

You charger is a DE-A43 which should be rated for worldwide use.

Geoff3DMN
10th February 2009, 09:34 AM
If your states this, then it will be fine to just plug it into a U.S wall socket.

They would still need to get a plug adaptor (the prongs are different) many travel agents sell this for $10 to $15.

drewbles
10th February 2009, 09:47 AM
Cheat as I do. Take a power board and a wall adaptor. That allows you charge multiple devices (iPod/Phone/Camera etc) at the same time without the need for multiple wall adaptors. A Power board goes with me everywhere when I travel, along with a single necessary travel adaptor:) But yes, if your devices are auto switching power supplies (as stated by leon, the majority are these days), you'll just need the adaptor at minimum:)