PDA

View Full Version : Palm LifeDrive

Soap
21st May 2005, 06:39 PM
there is a new Palm Pilot out NOW, & if you owned an iPod mini you would be spitting chips, OK its a bit more $$$ price wise but value wise it hits the mark.Palm iLife (http://www.palmone.com/au/products/mobilemanagers/lifedrive/)

Its only drawback is its not a Phone nor does it have a camera, but it is pretty impressive, & to think that apple thinks its good enough just to have thumbnail pictures on an iPod photo.

Ipod in decline when items such as this start to get noticed by the musthaves & the sheep in consumerland.

:thumbup: big thumbs up, Its definitely on my to get list, as my current Palm is in need of an update.

mac_man_luke
21st May 2005, 06:51 PM
Thats cool! bit too expensive to be comparing it to the ipod mini...

Phillip
21st May 2005, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by mac_man_luke@May 21 2005, 06:51 PM
Thats cool! bit too expensive to be comparing it to the ipod mini...
Why would you compare it to the iPod mini? The Palm can do a zillion things while all the iPod mini can do is play to music. Comparing the iPod photo to it would be more sensible. ;)

As for the Palm, well I still think they could do a better job making the interface look more nicer. Then I would really want one.

Currawong
21st May 2005, 07:56 PM
Those people who cry about the loss of the Newton can now buy one of these.

Tommy PDA
21st May 2005, 08:19 PM
Thats cool i think i will buy one in the next few weeks or so...!!!!

macintoshrules
21st May 2005, 08:39 PM
I'm upgrading to one of these from my T|E.

Drive Mode will be cool, screw palm desktop for uploading files...

Short battery life might get a bit annoying...

Although it will be cool to connect it to my powerbook via bluetooth or put it on my AirPort network :D

petruk
21st May 2005, 09:22 PM
Wow. I knew Palm should be bringing out something new around now. And I'm very impressed. It's the first time I've been jealous of a PDA since getting my T1 more than 2 years ago. And I'm going to have to stay jealous unfortunately. About the Palm interface, for me, it's much better than the Pocket PC one. About time someone put a harddrive into a PDA.

Byrd
22nd May 2005, 09:56 AM
Great, the first time since owning a Palm V I actually have need to upgrade, more storage space and the ability to do heaps more stuff!

JB

BiRDBRAiN
22nd May 2005, 10:39 AM
No loss not having a phone, I've had phone PDA's, they generally suck, unless its something like a Treo where you don't need to plug anything in to get calls.

AWESOME Palm PDA. I've had two iPaqs since my Palm V and now I feel like I would go back to Palm with this one!

Jimbo
22nd May 2005, 11:52 AM
just waiting for the deCSS guy to write a hack for it to play to airport express!!!!

:D

Astrobuoy
22nd June 2005, 09:28 PM
I've got one on order. As my brother said about phone/camera/PDA/MP3 players all in one --> "What, so I drop/lose/get pickpocketed one device and I lose all my music/photos/contacts all at once. Give me seperate digitalcameras, PDAs and Phones anyday."

Can't wait to get my hands on mine. Have wireless in my classroom, so I can't wait to show kids research stuff right at their desks if they need answers to work in their textbooks.

Gamedude has a WiFi, external harddrive enclosure. I'm thinking of going one of these as well. WiFi Mass Storage and one of these on a private network - ultimate portability. Add my portable i80 printer with BT and I've got one saweetah setup.

fompsweeva
22nd June 2005, 11:15 PM
Wow, this is pretty cool.

I'm in the market for a new phone... and I don't think I could handle having another device to carry around with my at all times

Wallet, keys, phone, leatherman (at work) sometimes iPod.

The fact that the iPod is only sometimes is because I'm afraid of it being stolen/scratched etc. It'd be great for travelling though when I don't have my keys to scratch everything up, to store photos and use maps.

How do you guys put up with these gadgets being on all the time? I can understand females have hand bags to keep stuff in... but for males... it's either in a pocket or on the belt...

Edit: Also... the site claims the guy uses a map to find a Cyber cafe to upload his pictures to his email... Wouldn't he have needed to be in a hot spot to use the maps in the first place?

Astrobuoy
23rd June 2005, 09:23 AM
Two words - MANBAG Baby! No, really, I do look like a cop sometimes walking around with all this guff on my belt and I do agree fompsweeva, it is a little annoying: Personal Phone, Company Phone, PDA, Leatherman, Camera, Ipod, wallet, keys, ventolin. It looks a bit rediculous. I know Manbags sound so metrosexual, but when you've got the gadgets, you've gotta have one. Even a canvas or hession shoulder satchel or something that doesn't look rediculously huge to be carrying all of your little bits around.

sikosis
23rd June 2005, 09:26 AM
i've been following the LifeDrive for awhile ... 4GB PDA ... of course it's awesome :D

$800 ... well my Palm T was about $700 when it first came out ... and it's got a whopping 8MB of memory ;)

I'll be getting one as soon as the bills stop coming in ...

Arkhum_Eramak
4th July 2005, 01:37 PM
yeah, when I grabbed my Treo 650 I had a look at the Lifedrive, its quite a piece of work! But I do a lot of Word Processing on my PDA and I could never quite get the hang of Graffiti so I had to get one with a keyboard (and for those of you out t here who may think that this is questionable, yes I could touchtype on the Tungsten C's keyboard and yes I can touchtype on the Treo 650's keyboard). If it had've had a Tungsten W/C style keyboard then I would've been all over it...I suppose Camera and Quad Band packet radio would've been nice too....but then the thing would've been $1600 and I might as well get one of those icky windows based smartphones...I can't even remember what they're called now...ahh well.

But yes, the Lifedrive is a nice looking piece of kit, and I was quite surprised at the price (grumbles about Treo 650's $1200 price tag, and doesn't even want to mention the $160 for the 1Gb SD Card).