PDA

View Full Version : Any Clues? iMac wont boot [solved!]

zebraman
21st May 2005, 05:12 PM
I just dusted off my old iMac and switched it on for the 1st time in about 4 years......

It came up with a message

Boot r, unknown word

failed to boot

Any ideas on how to get it right?

Currawong
21st May 2005, 05:55 PM
Weird. Hold down command-option-p-r at boot until it chimes a second time to see if that fixes it?

zebraman
21st May 2005, 06:14 PM
Brilliant! :thumbup: it worked....thank you!...wish I was a lot more tech savvy than have to ask basic questions

snax
21st May 2005, 06:25 PM
Command Option P R resets the Parameter Ram (PRAM). This is the oldest trick in the book, and one of the first things to try when a machine exhibits startup, time/date, or other interesting problems.
I find it pretty funny that it actually solved your problem - go the PRAM!

According to Google :P the contents of the PRAM could include: Status of AppleTalk, Serial Port Configuration and Port definition, Alarm clock setting, Application font, Serial printer location, Autokey rate, Autokey dela, Speaker volume, Attention (beep) sound, Double-click time, Caret blink time (insertion point rate), Mouse scaling (mouse speed), Startup disk, Menu blink count, Monitor Depth, 32 Bit addressing, Virtual Memory, Ram Disk, Disk Cache. That is for OS Classic though, dunno if it has changed since then.