PDA

View Full Version : Putting a Bigger Hard Drive into a G4 iBook

Todd
21st May 2005, 08:38 AM
Can some one tell me how to put a bigger HDD into a G4 iBook.
Thanks

purana
21st May 2005, 10:00 AM
Are you capable of doing it? Do you wish to open up your machine and void any warranty? If you seriously want to do it, your going to need a service guide which will tell you how to pull it apart etc.

I'd seriously recommend you buy a drive and then ask a reseller/service provider to fit it for you, and confirm how much they would charge to do so. At the end of the day, the techs in these places are trained to do this gear. And trust me, I've done the certification for Apple desktop/portable machines.. portables are not the easiest thing to service..

moo
21st May 2005, 10:23 AM
I've done it with a Pismo G3 and will do it with my current Powerbook when it reaches the end of warranty. Also waiting for the 7200rpm 2.5" hd's to reach 80gig or more.

Clone the hd using Carbon Copy Cloner, then swap the hd's over. Easy in a Pismo but can also be done on current iBooks and Powerbooks if you are handy.

Kildare
21st May 2005, 10:32 AM
Just had a 60GB 5,400RPM HDD put in my iBook.
Definately a bit more zippy than the stock 4,200RPM drive.

Was installed by someone qualified though - macmate
I'm pretty handy with PC hardware however there was no way I was going to void the warranty & possibly kill my relatively new notebook to save a few dollars.

titan44
21st May 2005, 10:34 AM
It's not that hard if you have done a bit of pc tinkering before, just give yourself a good couple of hours to do the job, you can d/l a guide from PB fixit that has the teardown sequence ( i don't know if thet have the g4 ibboks though ).

Maticks
21st May 2005, 11:43 AM
Todd take a look at this http://uk.geocities.com/ibookupgrade/ and see if you still want too, i know people who've pulled apart powerbooks and its not an easy things to put back together.

The ibook doesnt seem as bad but i guess do it at your own risk :)

mac_man_luke
21st May 2005, 11:54 AM
I have done it and it is freaky! 6million screws... :wacko:

Rayd
21st May 2005, 12:06 PM
id advise not to do it... theres like a bazillion screws and procedures and u are putting your iBook at risk of being stuffed :)

Maticks
21st May 2005, 12:18 PM
how much would an apple service centre charge for something like this ?
if its only $100 i'd say its worth it :)

Phillip
21st May 2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Maticks@May 21 2005, 12:18 PM
how much would an apple service centre charge for something like this ?
if its only $100 i'd say its worth it :)
I know one that charges $140 for one hour of labour. Changing the iBook's hard drive is charged as a two hour job. Of course, they will be cheaper places :) macmate, the guy on the forums who's an Apple Tech would have more info.

Have you thought about getting an external hard drive instead?

Kildare
21st May 2005, 12:49 PM
I decided to put a faster, larger HDD into the iBook as it is the primary drive.
Opt'd against a 7,200RPM due to price & power consumption.

I'll be throwing the old 4,200RPM drive into an external USB casing which can be picked up starting @ ~$15.

Should be picking up one this weekend so I'll let you know how it goes.

Currawong
21st May 2005, 04:25 PM
The iBooks are painful - very painful to take apart and re-build. You need multiple screw drivers of various sizes, a couple of desk organiser trays and post-it notes to sort all the screws....

I still have one screw after it all that I don't know how i managed to leave it out.

Todd
21st May 2005, 04:26 PM
Thanks for all your info & advice. I am using an external HDD USB2.0 but it has one draw back battery power it eats it.

Can anyone recomened a technician or shop close to Bankstown NSW that would do this type of work.

the gaffer guy
21st May 2005, 05:38 PM
So of those who have had it done (Kildare or others) - where and how much.
I am dying here with a 20 gig G3 iBook and 13gig of photos.
Please help

macmate
21st May 2005, 07:06 PM
most store will charge you in 'hours of labour' it will take 1-2 hours depending on how experienced the tech is with your model machine. most ibooks have different screw locations as the change the layout slightly for most revisions.

I did kildare's the other day. He bought the HD off me in the first place so i did it for free. Of course i would have charged at least an install fee (at least $50) for a non appletalk member that got the drive off me and i would have charged in hours labour for someone that got the drive elsewhere. Therefore it might do you some good to get the drive from the place that installs it.

i would recommend against doing it yourself. and if you decide to ignore our advise please at least private me and i will give you some tips. i would rather you do it with some sort of guidence then just attempting it cold.

Ric

simonpeng
22nd May 2005, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Maticks@May 21 2005, 11:43 AM
Todd take a look at this http://uk.geocities.com/ibookupgrade/ and see if you still want too, i know people who've pulled apart powerbooks and its not an easy things to put back together.

The ibook doesnt seem as bad but i guess do it at your own risk :)
I check this link, it look like mission impossible to me :blink:

Last night when I browse a Taiwan apple forum, someone tries to upgrade the hard drive of his powerbook, and accidentally cut some wire. He brought it to an Apple Center in Taiwan to quote the repair.

The quote is NT $20,000 = AUD $800.

I don't think it's a good idea to do it yourself unless you are really experience to this.

Kildare
26th May 2005, 11:04 PM
Just to updated my external case came from HK (via eBay) today & works a treat.
Only needs one USB cable to power up the Toshiba 4,200RPM HDD.

Decent transfer rates too.

namco
26th May 2005, 11:22 PM
macmate: just visited your webpage and read breifly about what you do. I was jsut wondering since you are an apple service tech person, if i were to get you to install/upgrade my current g4 ibook HDD, my current Apple warranty is still intact?

was going to PM, but thought this question migh interest others

Kildare
28th May 2005, 11:22 AM
The main reason I didn't attempt it myself was because of the warranty.
All work done by an certified tech will not void your warranty.