PDA

View Full Version : Help with iMac g4 dramas

Devil rolla
7th February 2009, 07:38 AM
Hey guys,
Writing on an iPhone so apologies
I bought an iMac g4 1ghz 15 off eBay and it's running 10.3
I have the boot disc off my MacBook pro and I tryed to boot the iMac with it and I get the error " unable to find driver for this platform : powermac 6:3 "
The MacBook pro is a 2.33ghz 17,

Am I a noob, do I need the 10.4 instalation disc and not the pro boot disc ?
Ta
Steve

darksplat
7th February 2009, 07:45 AM
Year it seems that it is looking for the correct partition scheme for the MacBook GUID(Intel) and you have APM (Non Intel) you need either another non intel mac or a retail disc to boot it up if I remember correctly and by the way 10.5 would run fine on that machine i have a iMac g4 800mhz running 10.4 nothing wrong with it

Devil rolla
7th February 2009, 12:07 PM
I've heard 10.5 is a fail due to the gforce card. Will try and buy the load cd

Brains
7th February 2009, 02:57 PM
Devil rolla: the Mac OS X Install DVDs provided with your MacBook are for Intel based Macs only -- you cannot use them to install Mac OS X on anything but a MacBook or MacBook Pro.

You will need to find a boxed retail version of Mac OS X 10.4 or 10.5, as these will have the necessary PowerPC code in the installers for your iMac G4 (which will run 10.5 quite well, as long as you have 512 MB of RAM or more).

leon
7th February 2009, 05:56 PM
I've heard 10.5 is a fail due to the gforce card. Will try and buy the load cd

Your system meets the requirement of Leopard so I can't see why you think it will fail? I'm assuming that you have purchased the 15" 1.0GHz that came with USB2.0? If so then I think you will be fine with Leopard, as long as you have 1GB RAM.

Is there any reason why you want to upgrade from 10.3 that is currently on the machine, or do you simply want to start from scratch with a fresh install?

I recently upgraded my 20" iMac G4 1.25GHz to Leopard from Tiger. My system is much faster with 10.5 than it was with 10.4 I have a better graphics card and 250MHz extra than your iMac, but you shouldn't be that much slower than me.

Devil rolla
11th February 2009, 10:54 AM
Hey guys, the proper tiger disc did the trick, I've read of hassles with the gforce card and leopard. Dropped in a extreme card and 1gb extra ram now 1.25, I am using the iMac as a airport machine so if all works on tiger and I have tiger on my macbookpro I don't need leopard

Wally
11th February 2009, 10:58 AM
Hey guys, the proper tiger disc did the trick, I've read of hassles with the gforce card and leopard. Dropped in a extreme card and 1gb extra ram now 1.25, I am using the iMac as a airport machine so if all works on tiger and I have tiger on my macbookpro I don't need leopard

It is worth upgrading to Leopard for the extra features though. Spaces, New Finder.. all those bits and pieces.

Devil rolla
11th February 2009, 12:40 PM
I am also using the huawei Optus USB for web and seen nothing but drama with them on 10.5, no need for leopard, so I won't upgrade. Thanks for your help guys.