PDA

View Full Version : 450D wont autofocus on live view

Ken-f
5th February 2009, 10:22 PM
Does anybody know if thats normal? I just got a 50mm lens and tried to take a picture with live view on....but it wont focus.

captain fantasy
5th February 2009, 10:44 PM
These 2 paragraphs are taken from a review. they are his words, not mine.

Hope it helps.

I've only tested the Live View function to see how it works, but I can already see how useful it's going to be in studio and macro shootings. Just a note, you can't half-press the shutter to autofocus while in Live View mode. You can either manual focus, or use one of the two autofocus methods, quick (the mirror flips up, the LCD goes dark for a short while, and flips down with focus locked) or live (the camera uses the LCD's contrast detection to achieve the focus--this method is slower than the quick method), both by pressing the exposure lock button (*) while in the Live View mode. Using either the RS-60E3 wired remote or RC-1 wireless remote in Live View mode will ONLY trigger the shutter, and has no bearing on focusing.

Some people seem to be under the impression that the inclusion of the Live View feature will enable them to use the XSi/450D as they do point-and-shoot digital cameras, to compose their shots. That is not the case. You can't really make a functioning use of the Live View feature unless the camera's securely mounted on a tripod or on a flat surface. Both Live View focusing modes, while precise, are too slow to be used for hand-held shooting.

bartron
5th February 2009, 10:48 PM
Live view is good if you want to do manual focus on a tripod. The reason is that you can zoom right in on the LCD and finely adjust your focus before taking a shot.

That's how it works on my 40D anyway....all other uses for live view are gimicky IMHO (i.e. don't use it like a point and shoot)

krasivy
5th February 2009, 10:58 PM
I can confirm that AF does not work in LiveView... that's just how the system is set up.

gareth
5th February 2009, 11:12 PM
watch this video YouTube - Canon EOS 450D Digital Rebel XSi review (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAD15a_Z7bI)
skip to 3min 20 he explains AF

Ken-f
6th February 2009, 12:33 PM
Oh cool. Thanks guys.

My bad. Maybe I shoulda put it in my other noob thread.

jetsetkiwi
6th February 2009, 08:22 PM
Not sure about the 450D, but with the 40D, there is an option where you can hold down the AF button, it will close the shutter focus, and then beep. You can then stop holding the button, and it will be correctly focused.

gr8bob
9th February 2009, 07:36 PM
In case you haven't got it going, refer to pg. 102 of the 450D instruction manual which explains using AF in live view.

Under you camera's custom function "8", select the desired AF mode and press/hold the * button within the thumb's grip region to initiate AF.

orenji
9th February 2009, 07:47 PM
400D canon is a dream to use! :)

Ken-f
10th February 2009, 10:56 PM
....what? lol.
The 400D doesn't have liveview.

crazyjester900
21st February 2009, 06:11 PM
live view is ridiculous and should not be used IMHO

Ken-f
21st February 2009, 07:32 PM
It's handy at times.

swoffa
23rd February 2009, 12:03 PM
live view is ridiculous and should not be used IMHO

Everything has a use. Perhaps you just haven't found a use for it.:)

I've used it in low light when it's tough to focus. The ability to zoom in and focus manually can really help.