PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Scratched

vid
20th May 2005, 04:37 PM
Can anyone suggest a polish suitable for the outside of a Alum Powerbook, I have a couple of small scratches on the "top/lid" section near the apple logo.
I have some polish for the car that gets out VERY fine scratches and "swirls" but I am hesitant to use it on the PB incase it makes it worse.

Thanks

applecollector
20th May 2005, 05:29 PM
i think it should be fine

stevie
20th May 2005, 05:39 PM
If your that worried about the polish causing further damage just test it on a part where you don't see very often, that way if it does cause damage you will hardly be able to notice it.

Steve

Paxton
20th May 2005, 05:39 PM
Car polish will be fine for small scratches, but I would not use it on anything large. Car polish works on the Paint, and AFAIK, PowerBooks are not painted. If it works for you, then keep using it, but I am, just going to keep my PowerBook in the same condition it is in now. Scratches and all.

-Andrew

964RSCS
20th May 2005, 05:43 PM
Use the car polish rag, without putting any new polish on it. This will give a very fine polish from the car paint particles on the rag. A great way to polish chrome for anyone interested!

Might be too fine, but worth a try for starters...

Toothpaste can also work well as a fine polish!!

vid
20th May 2005, 06:49 PM
Thanks all for that I might try on my spare battery and see how that goes.

Granny Smith
20th May 2005, 07:41 PM
I've used a product called iCleaner on an iPod and white iBook. It did a great job on the iBook, but wasn't able to take the scratches out of the LCD screen on the iPod (ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT I CAN USE TO DO THAT?!?!)
I know the polycarbonate cases I've used it on aren't aluminium, but the result was good for the iBook. And if, as a previous poster suggests, you try it on an inconspicuous spot first, you'll know how it's likely to work.

arribadia
26th May 2005, 09:03 PM
I don't own a PB (yet!) but if it has a matt finish.. you won't want to polish it.

Nothing is worse than a shiny spot on an otherwise matt surface!