PDA

View Full Version : CD-RW...question?

duvel
3rd February 2009, 06:11 PM
Hi folks,
This is the forum where no question is silly enough....or whatever.

OK, how do i use a CD-RW on my iMac (running Tiger 10.4.11)...and NOT close the disc off??? :confused:

Thanks in advance
Duvel

milliedog
3rd February 2009, 06:24 PM
From memory, Mac OS doesn't support multisession discs anyway - they mount as two separate volumes.

That said - why don't you want it closed? The whole point of CD-RW is that you can erase them & copy on new content.

Brains
4th February 2009, 12:06 AM
It's not so much multisession that duvel's after, I strongly suspect he wants to replicate the UDF write approach that Windows made fairly common -- where a -RW blank could be treated much like a floppy disc or hard drive, in that you could add things to it ad-hoc.

Apple decided long ago not to implement such a feature, partly due to the way their file system (HFS) works, and also partly because of MacOS' insistence in maintaining a set of invisible "desktop database" files to hold icon, type and creator information. The company that developed UDF write for Windows (DiscTrack, from memory) made one for MacOS as well, but it was a dismal failure for two reasons -- you couldn't share your CD-RWs with anyone else unless they had bought the same software (the OS wouldn't support it and there was no free 'loader'), and the available disc space would vanish blindingly fast, because every time the disc was inserted, a new set of desktop database files were created and written, wiping out between 12 KB and 15 MB of space, just by inserting the disc!

Sorry duvel, but the correct way of using re-writeable media with any computer is as if it was a normal CD-R that happens to be erasable -- you fill it up with what you want, when you want to change what's on the disc, you copy everything on it to a folder on your hard drive, add the new stuff to the folder, erase the RW disc, then 'burn' everything back to it.

Rewriteable media is, to be honest, a waste of time and money. Not only will you strike some optical drives that cannot read them, you can only erase them 150-200 times before they die.

decryption
4th February 2009, 12:46 AM
Wow, CD-RW?!
I haven't even seen one of those for the better part of a decade.
USB flash drives are only $10 for a 2GB drive down at OfficeWorks or the post office.

Brains
4th February 2009, 02:31 AM
You can still buy them new -- DSE, Woolies, K-Mart, they all have Verbatim CD-RWs in singletons and five-packs. DSE have the rarer TDK DVD-RW (yes! rewriteable DVD!) as well.

Not all computers have USB :)

decryption
4th February 2009, 02:33 AM
You can still buy them new -- DSE, Woolies, K-Mart, they all have Verbatim CD-RWs in singletons and five-packs. DSE have the rarer TDK DVD-RW (yes! rewriteable DVD!) as well.

Not all computers have USB :)

Amazing - people are still using computers that don't have USB, but have CD-RW drives.

duvel
5th February 2009, 04:29 PM
....thanks for all your replies. Greatly appreciated.

This is actually (believe it or not) for my 70yo father.

Thanks again

matthewk
5th February 2009, 04:38 PM
Amazing - people are still using computers that don't have USB, but have CD-RW drives.

My really old computer (which hasn't been turned on in a couple of years so I'm not sure if it still works) has a CDRW and no USB.