PDA

View Full Version : "dead" Batteries

cosmichobo
20th May 2005, 01:00 PM
G'day,

I am looking at buying a Pismo or iBook G3... often enough they are on eBay with dead or "1 hr or less" batteries.

New batteries for these machines can cost over $230 AU.

I have read before methods of opening the batteries up and replacing the innards eg with rechargable 1.5V batteries etc...

Is that the only option? Once it is "dead", is it dead forever?

Cheers

Travis

Granny Smith
20th May 2005, 01:20 PM
Hi Cosmichobo,
I have graphite G3 iBook, and it's on its second battery. The first one lasted about 12 months and then began to gradually refuse to charge up. As a consequence I was getting a couple of hours usee from it before having to recharge it.
I spoke to technicians and to Apple itself at the time and the view was unanimous - the solution was to replace the battery. I saw some half-arsed suggestions on the internet about how you could "force discharge" a recalcitrant battery, but most of these carried big warnings about the risk of explosion and/or fire, and that if you did it incorrectly, you could bugger the battery altogether.
The iBook is now on its second battery, and I have to admit it spends most of its time on AC power (having been superseded by my G4 iBook), but the replacement battery seems not to be playing up nearly so much. I'm not sure if they modified the battery design or manufacture before I replaced it.
That's a long-winded way of saying that in my (limited) experience, the only viable solution is to replace the battery. Or buy a very, very long extension cord.
Sorry.

Kildare
20th May 2005, 06:00 PM
I know a few places recondition batteries - might be worth giving them a shot.

kit
20th May 2005, 07:21 PM
NewerTech technologies (http://www.newertech.com/batteries) sell high-capacity batteries for all the portable Apple products.

Though they're expensive, they're all under AUD$230 (according to Calculator), and the capacity is heavily increased, especially in the G3 PowerBooks and iBooks.

suryo
20th May 2005, 07:35 PM
Ebay is your friend for batteries. I got a (non-genuine) replacement for my clamshell iBook for something like AU$100-120. It's been great. I get 4-6 hours out of it.