PDA

View Full Version : game compatibility

jobe
7th June 2004, 02:01 PM
Hi. Bear with me for a little, i'm a newly converted and have nfi about OSX.

ok, so here goes. I've bought a few older games, making sure they are "for Mac", thinking I'm very smart and in no times will be gaming away on my ibook on the plane. Here lies the problem. I haven't installed or even tried to install them yet... I'm a little hesitant. I check the OSX game compatibility list here (http://www.clanmacgaming.com/macosx.php) and found that almost all the games I got are listed there. Some say incompatible while others say they work through classic or carbon or cocoa.

So... what are classic / carbon / cocoa? I've seen the classic icon in the system prefrences but it does nothing. atm, I just have OSX 10.3 installed. Its all nice and neat and perfect and running schweet and I'd rather not install another OS just to play the games. Is that was classic is for (to run games through a secondary OS or something similar?)???

Thanks

decryption
7th June 2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by jobe@Jun 7 2004, 02:01 PM
Is that was classic is for (to run games through a secondary OS or something similar?)???

Thanks
Yep, that's what it is.
You need to install a copy of OS 9 on your computer, so that whenever you start up an application that needs OS 9, it runs.

Read the documentation that comes with OS 10.3 about Classic mode.

WonderBoy
7th June 2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by jobe@Jun 7 2004, 02:01 PM
Some say incompatible while others say they work through classic or carbon or cocoa.

So... what are classic / carbon / cocoa?
Classic means that the game is probably old/outdated. It has not been designed to work with OS X, or even more likely, it was designed before there even was an OS X. The classic environment does allow you to use some older applications. It is like OS 9 running within OS X.It doesn't always work with all games though as these often need a closer relationship with the hardware I believe. Some games have had Carbon patches released (e.g. Starcraft) to allow you to run older games natively in OS X.

Carbon means that the game was built with OS X in mind and should work without a hitch. It should also be backwards compatible with Macs running OS 9, so long as they meet the system requirements. Most new games would be Carbon as I believe it's the easiest to port to.

Cocoa means that the game was written (usually from the ground up) only for OS X with no backwards compatibility for legacy OSs. While there are some smaller (often shareware) examples of games written in Cocoa, I'd say that the larger games are almost certainly still programed as Carbon.

At the end of the day - it really doesn't matter to you too much if the game is Carbon or Cocoa, just so long as it says OS X (with no mention of classic) in the system requirements).

Byrd
7th June 2004, 11:09 PM
What games are you trying to get running jobe? Many popular games released around the time when OS 9.x was the height of Apple computing :P later had OS X applications released for them. Eg. games such as Starcraft, Diablo, Myth, Quake and so on.

Obviously you'll need an install of OS 9.x going (upgrade to (9.2.2 if you can, OS X prefers this), and need to be running this on it's own instead of through emulation mode for speed and compatibility.

That said, if it's a new Mac, no way will you be able to run OS 9 unless it's through OS X's Classic mode. They don't let you do this anymore. You could consider getting a cheap beige G3 for ~$100 and use this as your dedicated OS 9 machine, which it would run, fast.

JB