PDA

View Full Version : MBP crashing after installing 10.5.5 iousbfamily package

jonnos
1st February 2009, 02:07 PM
I'm using an early 08 macbook pro with 10.5.6. I recently jail break my iphone and to get the DFU mode to work i used the recommended way quickpwn instructed by downloading IOUSBFamily Log release for Mac OS X 10.5.5 Build 9F33.

After jailbreaking the iphone, whenever i try to plug in a usb storage device (ipod shuffle) it would crash and pop up a message telling me to restart the computer by holding the power button for 5+ seconds. My mouse, keyboard and iPhone works fine. But every time i plug in my shuffle it crashes. I currently don't have my usb external drive to test out but I'm sure it is a problem with usb powered? drives? other people that have installed this package are also having the same problem.

Is there a way I can remove and restore the original file I had before? I didn't make a back up copy so I'm sure it has been overwritten. Will reinstalling the 10.5.6 combo update restore and fix this problem? will this remove all my apps and data if I reinstall this update? or would restoring leopard using the disk fix this problem? will this way remove my apps, data and files?

or will it be fixed if i install the 10.5.6 version of IOUSBFamily?

thank you.

Brains
1st February 2009, 02:25 PM
You can try the 10.5.6. Combo Update -- reinstallation of the manual download archive can often cure problems like this.

If it doesn't work, you will need to do an archive-and-reinstall of your OS.

Neither approach will change, delete or move any of your apps, settings or data.

jonnos
1st February 2009, 02:28 PM
thanks, ill give the combo a go. and if that doesnt work ill reinstall.

does anyone else have another solution? while i dl the combo :D

wmyeoh
1st February 2009, 03:09 PM
Yes this is a known issue with that particular workaround.

See solution here (http://i.gizmodo.com/5139388/warning-1056-macbooks-may-freeze-after-jailbreaking-iphone-3g)

There is a slightly simpler way of doing it. What you need to do is replace the file "IOUSBFamily.kext" which you will find in /System/Library/Extensions, as it has been corrupted.

Either grab the 10.5.6 version of this file off someone else (you can PM me if you like, and I'll email it to you), and replace the one that was corrupted with this one. You then have to restart the computer and boot from the Leopard Install disk, run Disk Utility, and then fix permissions. There may be a less complicated way to do the last step, but it worked for me.

Either way, it's probably quicker to do this than run the entire combo again.

jonnos
1st February 2009, 03:33 PM
I just reinstalled the combo and the shuffle isn't crashing the computer. ill need to test it out with my mouse and kb in a bit. Everything seems fine right now though.

will i need to repair permissions or anything after having this reinstalled?

wmyeoh
1st February 2009, 03:35 PM
Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt. What you've effectively done is replaced the entire set of files, rather than just the one corrupted one, but that's ok. I don't think you'll have any problems now.

jonnos
1st February 2009, 03:59 PM
Back in my room, mouse and keyboard is working fine and isn't crashing. Everything seems to be working fine again. Hopefully nothing else is stuffed.

thanks for the replies guys.

weirdlounge
6th April 2009, 04:39 PM
This thread was posted in February, about 2 months before my case, but there may be some people that in the future gets this problem, I found the easiest solution to that problem... in the page where you download the IOUSBFamily 315.4.1 you can download the latest update called IOUSBFamily.kext 3.2.7 or V 325.4.0, this one is the one that comes with 10.5.6, you download it, install it (just like the one that gave you troubles) and reboot your system, and "magically" gets fixed :) the link is here Hardware & Drivers - Mac OS X USB Debug Kits Downloads (http://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers/download/usbdebug.html)

One more thing, believe me, I love apple, but my computer running windows vista helped me out to solve this, please help me stop ranting PC's, Why do we have to choose one when we can have both? Or maybe three ( I'm also Linux user) :) Good Luck!