PDA

View Full Version : ADSL2+ browsing slowly yet speedtests say otherwise?

SlidewaysMcGee
27th January 2009, 12:45 PM
Hey guys

been having a running problem for a while now... Im running a Belkin F1PI241ENau Voip router on adsl 2+, getting speeds of around 6mb..

Torrents and downloads run fine around 500-600kbs, however browsing on the mac is slow and chunky like 56k spec. But run a speedtest like speedtest.net, and it says i'm at full speed.

The PC's in the house run like lightning when browsing, but my mac just won't play the game..

Ideas?

Cheers guys

Currawong
27th January 2009, 01:01 PM
Are DNS settings the same? Tried OpenDNS?

MacPilot can give alter the System settings for faster browsing, if that's any help.

SlidewaysMcGee
27th January 2009, 01:53 PM
Just checked the DNS settings in preferences, and aligned them with the router. Knocked back all the DNS listings from previous router/internet setups. Is running better; thanks for that!

Ronirossi
30th January 2009, 12:41 PM
:) Hi I am having similar problems. But I need someone to explain this in old people language. I am sorry be patient with me I am still learning.:) Sorry to be a pain. Any help would be appreciated

chrism238
30th January 2009, 12:52 PM
On some occasions I've suspected a problem with Safari, particularly if I've had it open for a couple of weeks. ActivityMonitor indicates that it has a large memory footprint (near 2GB), but not really enough to suggest a runaway memory leak. Quitting and restarting Safari usually fixes the problem for me.

W2ttsy
30th January 2009, 01:12 PM
:) Hi I am having similar problems. But I need someone to explain this in old people language. I am sorry be patient with me I am still learning.:) Sorry to be a pain. Any help would be appreciated

supporting image (http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture2ws4.png)

1) jump into your system prefs and then network prefs and select the method of connection from the left (i am using ethernet, but you maybe using airport)

2) note the box at the bottom labelled DNS. It will either have a value prefilled in grey if there is a DNS server on the network (not likely) or in the case of a small home network it will be blank.

3) if there is no prefilled number, then just put the same number as your routers address. so for instance, if your routers IP (field above) is 192.168.1.1 then you would also set your DNS to be that.

4) hit apply and all should be well.

W2ttsy