PDA

View Full Version : Applecare for 2008 Mac Pro

GeoffP
24th January 2009, 06:21 AM
Hi,

My 12 month warranty on my 2008 Mac Pro expires early March.

As such I have started looking at purchasing Applecare via Ebay.

I have found this store (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Applecare-Warranty-for-Mac-Pro-MacPro-Free-Ship_W0QQitemZ370148000042QQihZ024QQcategoryZ11141 8QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262) with a pricing of US$135. Is this a good price?

Also, as the add states I can get an electronic version or sealed box version. Would it more more prudent to get the sealed box version?

I would buy using PayPal so I would be covered for fraud, etc.

Thanks,
Geoff.

MightyAtom
24th January 2009, 07:09 AM
Also, as the add states I can get an electronic version or sealed box version. Would it more more prudent to get the sealed box version?
Pay for shipping with insurance. PayPal protection doesn't apply for digital delivery purchases, needs to be a physical object.

GeoffP
24th January 2009, 10:15 AM
Ended up purchasing from MacFixIt Oz Store for AU$256.15.

Cost me 40 or so bucks more, but I felt more comfortable buying local..

decryption
24th January 2009, 10:16 AM
For $40, I wouldn't bother with eBay. $40 is not worth the risk.

GeoffP
24th January 2009, 10:18 AM
For $40, I wouldn't bother with eBay. $40 is not worth the risk.

my thinking exactly :thumbup:

tripwu
24th January 2009, 10:21 AM
I managed to buy my MacPro Applecare for only $99 AUD on ebay.

basseyy
24th January 2009, 12:17 PM
hmmm, ebay? macfixit? buy from apple..?? I'm confused, at least with my old iMac I got the box, a cd and some paperwork. I have until mid October 2009 to grab my copy of it, so I still have some time yet to decide

GeoffP
24th January 2009, 03:06 PM
I managed to buy my MacPro Applecare for only $99 AUD on ebay.

How long ago did you buy your Applecare tripwu?

I had a pretty good look on ebay, cheapest I could find Applecare for Mac pro was US$135 PLUS US$18 to ship with insurance. At todays exchange rate the equals AU$234.72.

Doing the sums it was dearer by AU$21.43 to buy locally so it turned out to be a bit of a no brainer.

tripwu
24th January 2009, 05:04 PM
i bought it a few weeks ago, private one off sale, not a ebay store.

you just gotta keep a keen eye out for the bargains (if you have time)

GeoffP
28th January 2009, 12:37 PM
Well bugger me - MaxFixIt just cancelled the order.
Reason: Product no longer in stock......... :mad:

have to start shopping around again.

GeoffP
28th January 2009, 12:42 PM
i bought it a few weeks ago, private one off sale, not a ebay store.

you just gotta keep a keen eye out for the bargains (if you have time)

Did you buy the electronic licence or receive the boxed version?

tripwu
28th January 2009, 12:58 PM
i got a boxed version.

keep an eye on this one: APPLECARE PROTECTION PLAN FOR MAC PRO / POWER MAC - eBay, Apple, Software, Computers. (end time 01-Feb-09 12:08:18 AEDST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180323937814)

it will probably end for a good price

GeoffP
28th January 2009, 01:03 PM
i got a boxed version.

keep an eye on this one: APPLECARE PROTECTION PLAN FOR MAC PRO / POWER MAC - eBay, Apple, Software, Computers. (end time 01-Feb-09 12:08:18 AEDST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180323937814)

it will probably end for a good price

yep, just flagged it to watch about 15 minutes ago - thanks

Fitzy
28th January 2009, 01:50 PM
Hi Geoffp,how good is the Dell 2709W?
Mine arrives on monday,a few days before my MP.
Did I make the right choice with the Dell?
Good luck with the 99 cent APP.
No doubt tripwu is right,it will sell for a little more than that.

gtext
28th January 2009, 02:44 PM

Just about to go for that too. Looks like they've now lost two sales.

Still got a few weeks to go so I might wait and see if they get more stock.

Bethro
28th January 2009, 02:51 PM
this is probably not the right forum and sorry to hijack, but I don't understand why you are able to buy Applecare from anywhere else but apple (or re-sellers), and why it isn't the same price everywhere? Can someone explain this to me?
I will be looking to get applecare for my imac latter in the year too, so I have been wondering about this.

GeoffP
28th January 2009, 05:19 PM
Hi Geoffp,how good is the Dell 2709W?
Mine arrives on monday,a few days before my MP.
Did I make the right choice with the Dell?
Good luck with the 99 cent APP.
No doubt tripwu is right,it will sell for a little more than that.

The Dell 2709W is very nice.
I don't use it for mission critical imaging, etc. However it is a very, very nice monitor.
Good for watching HD video as well :thumbup:

Jaali
28th January 2009, 05:27 PM

That's annoying, and really no excuse for it. I'd be throwing some negative feedback their way!

BLINDER
28th January 2009, 05:35 PM
Can I jump onto the thread too and ask - where should I buy Applecare for my 2008 MacPro (also bought about March last year)?
I've never bought it before but think I should do it this time.

gtext
29th January 2009, 02:51 PM

Made a enquiry to them regarding future stock.

We sure do, we will however only do it via digital delivery only now. Here's the link:
AppleCare - AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro (w/ or w/o Display) - Free Digital Delivery - MacFixit Australia Store (http://www.macfixit.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=767)

GeoffP
31st January 2009, 06:38 AM
Really, really good news :D

I took a gamble and purchased Applecare for Mac Pro from this (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=330303447331) eBay store.

When I originally searched eBay I didn't find this supplier so it pays to search a few times I suppose.

Anywho, based on their very good customer ratings I took the plunge and purchased Applecare for AU$139.67.

Registered it on the 28th Jan - received a registration confirmation certificate via email from Apple this morning.

Many thanks to MacFixIt for not having stock as I saved myself AU$116.48 :thumbup::thumbup:

Bethro
31st January 2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks for reporting back, I am definitely looking in to this for Applecare for my iMac.

Phase
31st January 2009, 12:14 PM
I took a gamble and purchased Applecare for Mac Pro from this (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=330303447331) eBay store.

Well, that's the final straw for me, my Mac Pro's warranty runs out in less than a month, time to breathe some life into it.

Thanks Geoff :thumbup:

gtext
31st January 2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the feedback GeoffP

In much the same position as Phase.

Not sure I can be bothered spending time searching/tracking eBay for a bargain.
Saving is peanuts compared to the initial price of the Mac Pro or cost of repairs.

MacFixit's price seems pretty good compared to Apples, and while I'd prefer a boxed rather than digital, in the end it doesn't really matter.
And the company's in Oz.

krasivy
31st January 2009, 05:36 PM
Really, really good news :D

When I originally searched eBay I didn't find this supplier so it pays to search a few times I suppose.

Anywho, based on their very good customer ratings I took the plunge and purchased Applecare for AU$139.67.

Registered it on the 28th Jan - received a registration confirmation certificate via email from Apple this morning.

Many thanks to MacFixIt for not having stock as I saved myself AU$116.48 :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks GeoffP for picking that up and reporting it - was bidding on one last night, and nearly found myself overpaying after realising that I could get it for somewhat less ;)

Rogerthatv2
12th March 2009, 08:54 AM
Thanks for this info as well Geoff, My Macbook warranty is about to run out so used the same person and bought it, info was emailed to me in about 30 minutes so I will register it tonight.:thumbup:

Thanks.

coljac
12th March 2009, 09:26 AM
I bought applecare from ebay.co.uk for my Mac Pro, paid 99 which was a bit less in AUD a year ago. I got electronic delivery and it worked fine.

Phase
12th March 2009, 09:27 AM
I also got electronic delivery from a guy in the states, worked out to be about $130 Aus. Somewhat cheaper than the what? $450?