PDA

View Full Version : What Widgets Do You Use ?

amni
18th May 2005, 04:42 PM
Hi All Day 2 on my first Mac and I am pleased to say I am liking it.

I want some Melbourne Australia related widgets like weather etc...what are people using and where did you get them?

adamjc
18th May 2005, 04:44 PM
http://www.islayer.net/

All Australian Widgets created by iSlayer, a member of AppleTalk.

Adam.

Disko
18th May 2005, 04:51 PM
I use: *hits dashboard* World Clock
Dictionalry/Thesaurus
Transmit helper x2
Countdown Timer
Weather Widget
Calculator
SysStat
Internode Usage Meter x2
iCal
plus a heap more that i only load up when i need them.

Rayd
18th May 2005, 04:52 PM
http://www.widgetdeveloper.com/newskin/

owned by Mac_Man_Luke a member of Appletalk :)

sikosis
19th May 2005, 02:17 AM
I run SysStat (top widget :thumbup: ), Weather, Capture and a couple of custom ones ;)

spike@au
19th May 2005, 07:43 AM
Nice work islayer and mac_man_luke, would like to have a dabble in widget creation myself. Any chance you guys could put the code to a simple widget up on the forum to give me a kick start. I'm mainly interested in displaying info sourced from the web like the weather stuff and I like the traffic one taking the maps from the Vicroads web site.
Cheers Spike

ric3am
19th May 2005, 07:51 AM
Hi all where do I get an Australian weather widget

Thaks Ric

Rayd
19th May 2005, 08:09 AM
ric3am, tiger comes with a weather widget automatically.... just type in e.g. sydney and press enter and it will give you a list of all the sydneys around to the world... just choose the correct one :)

iSlayer
19th May 2005, 08:13 AM
My current dashboard only has 2 widgets running.
They are-

Sys Stat 0.94
AusTv Beta 2

i keep my dashboard pertty lean on my powerbook because im constantly developing widgets so i dont need any widgets like world clock or weather that will slow it down

marc
19th May 2005, 11:08 AM
Weather, iTunes, Dictionary, Calculator, AusTV, and various other beta widgets :)

spike@au
19th May 2005, 11:36 AM
guys could put the code to a simple widget up on the forum to give me a kick start
Please ignore, spotted the link on widgetdeveloper.com to the tutorials
Cheers Spike

kee
22nd May 2005, 09:31 AM
My weather widget doesn't give me Sydney time, nor does it give me a list of Sydneys to choose from. Can someone help me with what to type to get the correct weather? Thanks.

Squozen
22nd May 2005, 09:49 AM
Type 'Sydney', press enter. Drop-down list shows 3 Sydneys, pick 'Sydney, New South Wales'.

DJY
22nd May 2005, 09:46 PM
I (and many others) have found the pre installed weather widget not reliable and sometimes out by several degrees.

I remember reading on one of the forums that someone has just started working on an Australian based version. I think actually there are a couple of people having a crack at this.

On my Dashboard atm

Weather x 2
imdb
calculator
currency converter
language converter (french to english)
iTunes
AusTv (but hoping someone does one that does feeds for Canberra)
Dictionary / Thesaurus
Clock
Calendar

Had flight tracker on there for a few days - as a novely... and if you put domestic USA flights in it - it is VERY cool!

marc
23rd May 2005, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I wish there was an Australian flight tracker.

bindieye
24th May 2005, 05:48 PM
nope, definitely no drop down menu on weather widget, no matter how i do it. also, Vic traffic widget simply doesn't work. No updating at all. oh well, it was a great idea at the time.... ;)

Pej
24th May 2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by bindieye@May 24 2005, 05:48 PM
also, Vic traffic widget simply doesn't work. No updating at all. oh well, it was a great idea at the time.... ;)
i also have this problem. all roads are green - always - even though i can see out the window that heading out towards the westgate freeway is at a standstill. any suggestions??

marc
24th May 2005, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by bindieye@May 24 2005, 05:48 PM
nope, definitely no drop down menu on weather widget, no matter how i do it. also, Vic traffic widget simply doesn't work.
Try again!

Or just type "Sydney, New South Wales" or whatever city you're after. Actually, what city are you after?

darknight84
24th May 2005, 11:04 PM
I hardly use any except world clock, but some of the widgets which i have seen look very cool. :D

spargo
25th May 2005, 01:20 AM
Recalls from memory (am posting from my Win 2000 unPro machine in the office)

Weather x 2
-London (full details)
-Brisbane
World Clocks x 3
-London
-Brisbane
-Vancouver
Air Traffic Controller (awesome for cafe's and when travelling)
Unit Converter (great for currencies)
Translator (essential for my struggling Spanish and Italian)
BBC News headlines
Dictionary
iTunes
Address Book
Flight Tracker (watching the big U.S. -> U.K. Virgin flights come across during the day then watching them line up to land at Heathrow from my lounge room windows is a treat!)
Lyric Tracker (though this is pretty shitty - needs to be live & without the link to the browser)
HardStat (thanks Brad Gale & Marc Edwards, very simple but a good idea)
Calculator
Stickies
Calender

It's a pretty full screen, but no lag at all.. A great little gimmick from Tiger

Hobart
25th May 2005, 08:45 AM
i rember finding out about 3 months before windows got konfabluator and was so excited when it did and the widigets i use are:
a processor use monitor
ram usage monitor
battery monitor (nuclear jellybean)
weather
and 3 world clocks, detroit, Vienna and tokyo

marc
25th May 2005, 11:48 AM
That's a massive list spargo :)

Cool. I'm going to grab that BBC News headline widget now.