PDA

View Full Version : Help! Finder keeps "cycling"!!!

vbutron
22nd January 2009, 04:27 PM
Hi all,
I've got a serious issue and am at an end as to how to solve it without re-installing everything on my Mac. I'm running OS X 10.4.11. I did a normal update, as Software Update periodically does, on Quicktime today. On restart, the finder just keeps closing open folders and opens the last ones again and again, cycling through this every minute or so.

What can I do to fix this? I don't want to reinstall all my apps, etc. with an OS re-install if I can get away with it. Everything else seems fine.

Any help is appreciated.

rickyd
22nd January 2009, 05:28 PM
Does this directory exist? ~/Library/Workflows/Applications/Folder Actions

If so, delete what is in there.

Ricky.

Brains
22nd January 2009, 05:28 PM
I got this too, and I blame QuickTime. Finder re-launches itself once a minute, and anything set to launch at startup and is marked 'hidden' relaunches along with it and becomes un-hidden.

I'm halfway through an archive-and-reinstall of the OS, I suggest you do likewise -- just don't let Software Update update your QuickTime.

(Archive and re-install puts on a fresh set of OS files, and doesn't touch your already-installed apps and settings. When you get to the 'Select a destination' page of the Mac OS X Installer, click the 'Options' button and choose 'Archive and install' and ensure 'Preserve User and Network Settings' is ticked.)

vbutron
22nd January 2009, 07:02 PM
OK Brains, I'll try that. So, does doing that mean I lose my installed apps?
BTW, no such foder exists rickyd.

vbutron
22nd January 2009, 07:06 PM
Sorry, in my haste I failed to notice your comment about apps. Does this mean I boot off the installer CD to do this?

Brains
22nd January 2009, 07:11 PM
Yes. Or insert the 10.4 install DVD, double-click the 'Install Mac OS X' icon, enter your password and let it restart & boot from disc for you. And no, you won't lose installed apps or data ... but you may have to-configure one or two things, nothing major though.

Annoying nore than perilous, thankfully :)

vbutron
22nd January 2009, 07:56 PM
OK Brains,
I've gone through the launch process, etc. but when I get to the "select destination page". the "archive and install" button is greyed and not available. Any ideas?
Thanks

Brains
22nd January 2009, 08:39 PM
You need to select your main hard drive, it will give you a yellow exclamation mark, then you can click Options.

SyncMan
23rd January 2009, 07:32 AM
I got a temporary case of finder cycling this morning after pulling out a USB memory stick.

I haven't updated anything.

And yes I have done a backup.

toni notechi
31st January 2009, 06:40 PM
Hi there,

You might want to try this before doing the reinstall.

Go to preferences and find Stuffit AVR - disable this.

Had the same problem myself and a friend suggested this - it seems to sort the problem and saves the hassle of the reinstall.

regards

Toni

Brains
31st January 2009, 07:33 PM
toni: as I mentioned elsewhere, I don't have Stuffit installed, yet I still suffered the cycling issue. As I don't watch videos, I don't need quicktime, and an archive and reinstall cured the cycling bug.