PDA

View Full Version : What file compression app do you use?

GeoffP
20th January 2009, 02:54 PM
Apart from STuffit Standard or Deluxe, what other apps do you use?

dotnet
20th January 2009, 03:12 PM
I normally use zip or tar/gzip, depending on the purpose and the recipient of the archive.

Cheers
Steffen.

~Coxy
20th January 2009, 03:17 PM
Finder's built in ZIP. Not sure why you'd use StuffIt in this day and age.

Domenic
20th January 2009, 03:18 PM
Finder's built in ZIP. Not sure why you'd use StuffIt in this day and age.

+1.

Finder's built in .zip archive utility is fine for me.

Seon
20th January 2009, 03:23 PM
I also use Finders built in .Zip utility, but I find it doesn't handle making multiple zips too well sometimes.

If I start a zip a bunch of files, then start zipping another bunch of files while the first is still going, sometimes it error's out on adding the content to the second zip.

Luckily it aborts the process and doesn't leave a half finished zip for me to try using.

Currawong
20th January 2009, 03:43 PM
I use the Finder's archive (zip) except for MacTalk's web server logs, which generate a few GB every week, so they get compressed .tar.bz2 at maximum compression.

I wish Stuffit wasn't shit, honestly. They have a neat system whereby each file gets compressed by the method that is more efficient for that file type. However, though they seem to periodically fix and update things, it was (is?) a: slow, b: unreliable, and c: proprietary, so an archive that wont uncompress leaves you screwed.

GeoffP
20th January 2009, 05:28 PM
I suppose I should clarify the reason for my question.

I have just noticed today that after using the compress folder function, instead of the original zip file being updated, a new zip file is created (i.e. folder.zip, the folder1.zip, folder2.zip, etc).

I some instances I had over 50 compressed file versions of largish folders. (I am absolutely anal about backing up my work files.)

When I used my windoze notebook before updating to a mac pro, I could set the compression parameters to append only files that had been changed in a folder, and this would update the existing .zip archive, not create a new one.

This is all I wish to achieve. Can it be done???

Byrd
20th January 2009, 05:48 PM
I'm a big fan of "The Unarchiver" which will open basically anything you can throw at it. I've found it best for multi-part .RAR files, Stuffit expander doesn't do it properly or crashes.

The Unarchiver (http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/unarchiver.html)

JB

dt
20th January 2009, 06:36 PM
Wow, thanks to this thread I have realised that any zip files I make using the Finder end up with weird "__MACOSX" folders and all this extra crap when unzipped on a Windoze computer.

I'm now using CleanArchiver to avoid this.

Piratbyran
20th January 2009, 06:37 PM
7z.

Nuff said.

Brains
20th January 2009, 07:53 PM
+1 for CleanArchiver.

That said, I still use Stuffit Deluxe (v4 under Classic and v7 under OSX, I won't go near .sitx) for Mac-specific things.

dotnet
20th January 2009, 08:32 PM
When I used my windoze notebook before updating to a mac pro, I could set the compression parameters to append only files that had been changed in a folder, and this would update the existing .zip archive, not create a new one.

This is all I wish to achieve. Can it be done???

Yes, just use the command line version of zip. Full power, full control.

Cheers
Steffen.