PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy OEM or full version Windows Operating System on Fusion?

matt160977
19th January 2009, 01:54 PM
Hello there, :)

I am enjoying fiddling around on my first macbook since I brought it end of last month. I just installed Vmware Fusion on my macbook thanks to tradingpost.com.au. Since I grew up in the "dark side" throughout my life (MSDOS 4.11 -> Windows XP Home SP3), there are some nagging things inside of me.

Now, here is the question:

Should I buy Windows OS, OEM or full version works on Fusion? I don't know if I could buy Vista as users are complaining about this or should I buy WinXP SP3 CD? Or... wait Windows 7?

Thanks for the help. ;)

decryption
19th January 2009, 01:57 PM
You can only get the OEM version if you buy it together with your computer. I think you can buy it with another piece of hardware, but I am not 100% sure.

I find it difficult to recommend Vista, so my suggestion is to buy XP and then move to Windows 7 if you need it.

MissionMan
19th January 2009, 02:10 PM
Yeah, you can get it with a piece of hardware. What some guys do on ebay is sell it with an old video card which is broken and it keeps with MS's requirements. Ebay has some cheap copies but if you buy off ebay, make sure you use paypal and buy from a person with decent feedback. There are a lot of fakes running around.

matt160977
21st January 2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks guys for the replies. How should I know the product key of Windows without installation? Is it come from on the sleeve of CD, or the manual?

Thanks guys. I am still looking for Windows XP, I decided to not going to buy Vista.

kungfucamel
21st January 2009, 11:29 AM
the product key would be on the manual/cd that is shrink wrapped if buying OEM. otherwise if it on the inside of the box if buying retail.

matt160977
21st January 2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks mate.

PatrickH
21st January 2009, 11:34 AM
At least with windows 7, you can use it as much as you want for free till August.

You can pretty much go to any PC store and buy an OEM of XP Pro with any piece of hardware, try going to MSY in Ultimo.

matt160977
6th February 2009, 02:38 PM
Hello there. I do not want to make another thread about partition(?) (like, 5GB for Windows XP). I thought it fits on this thread... so, here is the question.

Should I make partition to separation before installing Windows via VMFusion? Or, should I install straight away to install Windows via VMFusion? My gut feeling that I should make partition, am I wrong?

(Still looking for Windows XP...)

~Coxy
6th February 2009, 03:21 PM
I don't think you can install Windows onto a partition with VMWare, but I could be wrong. You need to do it via Boot Camp.

mattDC5R
8th February 2009, 04:35 PM
you can use Windows with fusion either as installing it as a VM straight into fusion of by setting up boot camp and having Fusion read the partition.

If you install it straight into Fusion you can get into and out of Windows faster as it can suspend the OS instead of completely starting and shutting down windows which it needs to do with the boot camp method.

Installing it straight into Fusion is probably the easiest, the only snag i found (and why i have to use fusion with boot camp) is i found some devices that use Microsoft active sync wouldn't connect to windows when only runnign fusion.

look at what you need to do with windows and make a decision that way.

Hope that helps a bit.

SimplyBea
13th February 2009, 09:52 PM
(Still looking for Windows XP...)

Hi

I bought 2 copies of XP pro from shopping square (http://www.shoppingsquare.com.au/) some time ago - they might still have it.

cheers

matthewk
13th February 2009, 10:31 PM
Isn't microsoft going to be giving all owners of vista a free upgrade to 7?

Edit: that's just a rumor that oem's may be able to offer free upgrades to 7 for custoMers who buy a cimputer from July onward.

robtag
15th February 2009, 09:26 AM
Hi Matt,

Have you found Windows XP yet? Just thought I should let you know of my experience. I wanted to install XP using Fusion, but according to earlier forums I discovered that Fusion does NOT recognise OEM versions, only Boot Camp will recognise OEM's. If you want to use Fusion, you need the FULL retail version, which unfortunately means Vista as XP is no longer available.

But, there is a happy ending. I brought only the basic Vista, it loaded fine under Fusion and works a treat. Mind you, I only need Vista to run 1 piece of chemistry drawing software (for Uni).

Best of luck

Ciao
Rob

HappyLundberg
15th February 2009, 09:49 AM
I wanted to install XP using Fusion, but according to earlier forums I discovered that Fusion does NOT recognise OEM versions, only Boot Camp will recognise OEM's. If you want to use Fusion, you need the FULL retail version, which unfortunately means Vista as XP is no longer available.

Fusion should definitely recognize an OEM version of XP, I install those all the time.

SimplyBea
15th February 2009, 11:30 AM
I have installed OEM versions on VM and it works.

:)

matthewk
15th February 2009, 12:04 PM
Just thought I should let you know of my experience. I wanted to install XP using Fusion, but according to earlier forums I discovered that Fusion does NOT recognise OEM versions, only Boot Camp will recognise OEM's.

The only difference between retail and OEM is the license and the packaging it comes in. The actual software is fine. Whether you should get retail from a legal standpoint I have no idea, but technically there is nothing stopping you.

Redman
15th February 2009, 12:09 PM
I would install XP on a VM image (in fusion) as rebooting all the time is a pain. Also you can copy/drag files etc from OS X to XP and via versa.
If you find that you need extra space on the VM XP image, you can expand that image on the fly. Also, you can compress and backup the image to an external drive which can be copied back later or transferred to another Mac.

I would shy away from the bootcamp partition or making a partition for XP - although it is a bit slower in VM, there are many advantages.

matt160977
2nd March 2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks guys for helping me out - I finally brought Windows XP SP2 Home from eBay. It should arrive a few more days.

Thanks again.

TJA77
2nd March 2009, 01:59 PM
I bought a copy of XP Pro w/ SP2 (OEM) on Ebay and am running it on Parallels 4.0 with no problems at all

dche5390
10th March 2009, 06:42 PM
Can I use the same copy of XP for both boot camp and VM?

mattDC5R
10th March 2009, 06:50 PM
Yes although for some reason it sees it as 2 installs.

not an issue just means if you have to reinstall for any reason you may need to call Microsoft to get another activation number.

Ive had to do that, no big issue

wabbit
10th March 2009, 06:55 PM
Can I use the same copy of XP for both boot camp and VM?

You sure can, setup the bootcamp partition and once thats all working, VM Ware will see it in the list. Works well for me.

Yes although for some reason it sees it as 2 installs.

I dont know why that happens for you, i see this;

http://i40.tinypic.com/6fmixg.jpg

mattDC5R
10th March 2009, 07:52 PM
oh sorry i meant windows seems to want to be activated both in Fusion and when you boot into Boot Camp, well it did on my computer.

yah thats what my Fusion looks like except im on fusion 2.0.2

Your not running fusion 2?

wabbit
10th March 2009, 08:03 PM
oh sorry i meant windows seems to want to be activated both in Fusion and when you boot into Boot Camp, well it did on my computer.
yah thats what my Fusion looks like except im on fusion 2.0.2
Your not running fusion 2?

Ah activation, i didn't do that twice but hey, might have been lucky. As for the version, im on version 1.1.2 (87978). I don't think i use VM Ware/Windows enough to warrant the upgrade. It was purely for much faster copy speeds to NTFS drives. After buying a huge NAS that drama has been solved aswell.

mattDC5R
10th March 2009, 08:30 PM
fair enough, it is a free upgrade from 1.x tho :)