PDA

View Full Version : **ding**ding** 12" Vs 14"/15"?

tikEK
17th May 2005, 08:32 PM
OK here's the deal.

I want to get rid of my dust encrusted 400 MHz G4 w 320MB/20Gb
and upgrade to either a 12/14" ibook, or 12/15" pbook w superdrive and possible ram upgrade.

$$ are always a factor, so would i regret either of the 12" - screen size etc??
I'd appreciate what peoples thoughts may be, i'm a designer by trade, so would be using it for freelance jobs, webdesign, video, idvd, bit of final cut pro, but nothing in the video/dvd side of things is highend. Digital footage of the kids burnt to dvd...:rolleyes:

Any help appreciated.
cheers

ps. I did a search and have read several 'like topics' but none directly related.....

mvjs
17th May 2005, 08:36 PM
Get the 15 inch powerbook if you have the cash or get the 12

the_OM
17th May 2005, 08:37 PM
If your a designer the 15''
You'll benefit from the extra screenspace.

raj
17th May 2005, 08:38 PM
12" would kill you if you're designing things, however if you got the 12" powerbook you could at least use an extra monitor and dual screen them. The iBook can't do that.

Personally the iBook doesn't even enter my realm of thought and I'm a web designer for a living. It just doesn't have the power, guts or screen size to satisfy my working habits.

But if cash is a factor (as it always is unfortunately) you have to do the best you can and which case go with a 14" iBook.

dangelovich
17th May 2005, 09:07 PM
I've got a 12" iBook, and have found it great... but I do wish I had more screen real estate... A higher res screen would be handy, but at that size, it would be difficult to see.
I think the only solution is to go for the bigger screen.
If you're going for a powerbook, go the 15".
If you go the iBook, I think the new ones are expected soon, and I've read rumors about a 15" widescreen model... might be worth waiting.
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ rates the iBooks as "Don't Buy - Updates Soon"

v1llage1d1ot
17th May 2005, 10:11 PM
I've got a 12" ibook and I love it, the screen is sharp and clear. My friend has a 14" ibook and it just doesnt look as sharp. If it had the power to run better res then maybe itd be worth it, but it doesnt so I will always go the 12". However I won't get another ibook, I will be getting a powerbook. It is a far better machine.

Ozi
17th May 2005, 10:28 PM
15" is the perfect size and can, with the right BTO options, be the most powerful portable Apple computer around. the 1280x854 screen is ideal for movies or design work... and they are just plain sexy. :)

gaehl
17th May 2005, 10:50 PM
The 12" pBook and 12" and 14" iBooks have the same screen resolution: 1024x768. So go have a look at one of them in action if it doesn't have enough screen resolution your only choice is the 15"/17" inch powerbooks.

Also the iBooks can do screen spaning with a hack (usual warnings apply). So you could do what I do have a small 12" and hook it up to a nice display when your at your desk.

The other thing to remember is that the current iBooks do not support coreimage.

EDIT: fixed first sentence so it made sense. :D

Rayd
17th May 2005, 10:57 PM
id say 12" if you dont do designing but if you do go for 15 :)

tikEK
18th May 2005, 08:20 AM
Thanks all for the responses.

Looks like I'll have to do a bit of wheelin' and dealin' - with something :D :D
So I can afford the 15"pBook....

*thinking time*

thanks again all.

ps. forgot to mention that this machine will be the secondary machine -- got a 933/768/60G4 (soon to be G5) hooked up to a 180GB Xserve at work. :thumbup:

the_OM
18th May 2005, 09:16 AM
a 180gb Xserve?

tikEK
18th May 2005, 09:49 AM
Yep, lucky hey! :D check it out here (http://www.apple.com/xserve/)

Ozi
18th May 2005, 11:48 AM
*sarcasm*

Apple makes xserves? who would have thought! :o I am so shocked. Shocked and confused. :rolleyes:

:lol: I thought that the link was to aa page about your one specifically, not the generic apple page. :D But yeah, the xserve would be pretty sweet. If you can afford the pBook, then that will be great.