PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Won't Mount Or Anything

Chriis
17th May 2005, 07:40 PM
My iPod refuses to mount, won't be recognised in iTunes/My Computer

umm windows actually freezes when it's plugged in and comes back to life magically when it's unplugged.

I can't load restore because of this, i've tried soft-resetting the iPod several times, restarting pc, different pc.

At one point, the folder exclaimation point thing came up on the screen, iPod still functions, but i can't add new music now :/

It's a 4G Click-wheel, bought in december

any ideas on how to hard reset? check file system? mount properly or anything like that? I'm using USB2.0, i've tried Firewire, in firewire PC doesn't hang, but it still doesnt get recognised.

im scared to plug my other ipod in incase it eats that too...

it doesnt bring up the folder icon anymore, ive went into debug mode and did the hdd tests, everything seems fine??

windows just hangs if ipod is connected and unhangs once unplugged... this sucks.

mvjs
17th May 2005, 08:00 PM
Common problem, just use the iPod updater. Problem, you must have disconected the iPod, while it was syncing saying do not disconnect. Just restore the iPod. It happend to me to :)

Chriis
17th May 2005, 08:12 PM
I want to restore it, however, PC just freezes when I plug it in and won't resume to normal unless i unplug ipod again.

I've tried on two pcs.

I'm lost for words :thumbdn: :thumbdn:

mvjs
17th May 2005, 08:19 PM
Do a Hard reset, cant remember how, check the manual

yinyang
17th May 2005, 08:30 PM
try this...

http://www.kelleytown.com/ikelleytown.htm#RemoveiTunes

jobsey
19th May 2005, 12:19 AM
How powerful is your PC?

dil_baby
19th May 2005, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by michaelvjsmyth@May 17 2005, 08:19 PM
Do a Hard reset, cant remember how, check the manual
I'd say a hard reset is probably the answer.
Here is how you do it:

iPod hard reset
-Connect the iPod to a built-in FireWire port on your computer (it won't work with an unpowered FireWire port on a PC Card, for example).
-Reset the iPod by pressing the Play and Menu buttons for 10 seconds.
-When you see the Apple logo, press and hold the Previous and Next buttons for 10 seconds.
-The FireWire icon should appear in your iPod's display.
Then plug it into your computer and you should be able to restore it.

Kuma
19th May 2005, 06:16 AM
This happened to my mums iPod... but even the ipod wouldnt turn on....

it was a christmas present (also bought in december) and so we sent the little bugger back.

apple replaced it with a new unit (took about 10 days).