PDA

View Full Version : Splitting AVIs?

cosmichobo
18th January 2009, 01:11 PM
G'day,

I have a large (1 hr) AVI that I wish to split up into smaller chunks.

Last time I tried this, possibly as a result, the sound ended up out of sync.

I just tried using MPEGStreamclip, and it let me "trim" to the selected section, and then "Save as". But, only once. When I tried to then select the next chunk, and Save as again, it gave me a "no compressor found" error.

Other than Save as, the only option then is to Export, which then re-encodes the file, taking forever, and creating a larger file.

What's the best application to simply cut this AVI up with? (Feel like Dexter now...)

Thanks

cosmic

Exocet
18th January 2009, 01:14 PM
I'm keen to know an answer to this one too.

kaiowas
18th January 2009, 01:16 PM
Look for an application called Explicit. Should be on macupdate.com

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14480/explicit

There we go. Free, easy fun application.

Exocet
18th January 2009, 01:36 PM
Rather than just splitting, does Explicit allow for things like chopping out sections (ie, ad-blocks?).

cosmichobo
18th January 2009, 11:42 PM
Look for an application called Explicit. Should be on macupdate.com

Download Explicit for Mac - Split AVI, DivX, XviD video files. MacUpdate Mac Video Software Downloads (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14480/explicit)

There we go. Free, easy fun application.

Thanks! Did the job nicely! (with some help from Quicktime to better see where I was making the cuts)

Paul_G
19th January 2009, 08:19 AM
Nice one.
What about joining files? I have some episodes of 10min programmes for toddlers, and I'd rather clump them in groups of about 3 so I don't have to keep getting up to start the next one (Daaaaad!). I can't recall offhand if they are avi, divx or xvids though.

Salamander
19th January 2009, 08:27 AM
D-Vision 3 (http://www.objectifmac.com/dvision.php) has a tools section that allows you to join avi files.

Granny Smith
19th January 2009, 08:37 AM
G'day,

I have a large (1 hr) AVI that I wish to split up into smaller chunks.

Last time I tried this, possibly as a result, the sound ended up out of sync.

I just tried using MPEGStreamclip, and it let me "trim" to the selected section, and then "Save as". But, only once. When I tried to then select the next chunk, and Save as again, it gave me a "no compressor found" error.

Other than Save as, the only option then is to Export, which then re-encodes the file, taking forever, and creating a larger file.

What's the best application to simply cut this AVI up with? (Feel like Dexter now...)

Thanks

cosmic

Might be a bit cumbersome (not to mention time consuming), but I think you can use MPEGStreamclip to convert the AVI to a DV file (it might require a QuickTime plug-in, not sure - I did have to buy the plug-in, but I can't remember now what I was trying to do with it), then import it to iMovie. Then you can edit to your heart's content.

Also, if you have multiple files, like Paul_G, if you can use MPEGStreamclip to convert them all to DV, you can import them all to iMovie to make one long, continuous movie, or create a series of individual movies that you can then put onto DVD as separate titles.

Exocet
21st January 2009, 11:02 AM
I'm getting exactly the same error as Cosmic Hobo

Hrm. I've been using MPEGStreamclip to chop up a 1.5hr AVI ripped via handbrake into smaller more manageable 10 minute pieces. Its odd though - I get two trim-and-saves done, but on the third one it gives me this error:
"error: no video compressor"

On the second AVI I'm doing of a similar length, I can only get one trim done, on the second one it gives me the same error.

Has anybody come across this before, or can you recommend any other applications to do simple splitting/trimming of AVIs?

Explicit doesn't even recognise the AVI I throw at it.

tintinaujapon
21st January 2009, 11:36 AM
I would like to know this too.

Our new TV will play DivX files, but only up to 2gb in size.

cosmichobo
21st January 2009, 10:30 PM
Wow I started something here huh. :)

Thanks Granny, but was just wanting to break up a file to fit into YouTube's 10.59 time limit. Had already edited the video in FCP.

MPEGStreamclip will do the job - just you have to re-encode each bit...

Another option is to convert to mov so it's native for Quicktime, which can then easily cut and paste bits... without needing to re-encode. But if you do it with AVIs, it does re-encode...

Explicit was good for me... not sure why it's not reading yours, Exo...?