PDA

View Full Version : Leeching's not all that bad

pipsqeek
5th June 2004, 10:01 AM
Felt like posting this experience because I figured that it more then likely happens more often then not.

Recently a friend of mine at TAFE and I were leeching MP3's off the net...he's living with his parents and accidently got a $700 Net bill because he left the leeching client running in the background, which aint too hard to do, especially when most of them in Windows just sit there in the task bar...

Anyway, so now he comes to TAFE and leeches from there, and recently we have been finding some great MP3's....more specifically, great bands.

Yesturday I even said to him while we were just mucking around at TAFE...he brought his Guitar to TAFE, so we were jamming on that most of the day. I said, "Man, you know what? If we could never leech files like this, we would have never found this band" because this band is truely awsome "that is what Napster was all about, being able to find new unsigned bands, open your horizons to new music you never heard of"

The reason for this post is to give a flip to the one sided stories of artists, more to the point, the record companies loosing sales because people like us are leeching the songs online. The fact is, if my mate and I never found this band, we would not be trying to find out where their actual albums would be available (more then likely Utopia in Sydney). But because of file sharing, we discovered this band. Much to RIAA and all the record labels dismay...because of us leeching, they have just increased their sales because he will be buying some of this worthy bands albums.

I wonder how many others are usually in the same boat? its shareware for music, try before you buy.

Steve

Sausage_Dog
5th June 2004, 10:58 AM
That is so true.

LCGuy
5th June 2004, 11:32 AM
Agreed.

decryption
5th June 2004, 12:26 PM
I get most of my music these days from IndieTorrents (http://indie.chattavegas.com/). Heaps of cool bands that arent' affiliated with the RIAA (indie labels) so you won't get sued by the greedy RIAA member record labels.
If it wasn't for MP3s, I'd probably never really cared about music, as the cost of buying CDs just isn't worth it to find out that the CD sucks balls. You need to listen to lots of music to find that one golden album, and payinf $20 a CD for it doesn't suit my income range at all ;)
If I like a band, I pay money to see them in concert and buy a bit of their merchandise, and buy perhaps a DVD if the band has one. But albums, I don't buy at all unless they're limited edition ones or something.

I understand the muscians need to make a living, but fuck,lots of people make a living on under $34,000, why can't they?

pipsqeek
5th June 2004, 01:15 PM
I'm pretty much in the same boat when it comes to value for money.

But I would just like to add one thing to the last comment you made.

The thing is, record companies give Bands a bucket of money and say, if you want this, you have to sign here...a contract, asking the band to make 5 albums over the next five years for example. The band gets the money...so the investment has already been made...then the record company gambles it pretty much to see what album sales do to re-coop what they gave the bands. At the end of the day, the record companies make the most money out of it. Coming down to things like, if it wasn't for us, you (the band) would still be playing in your basement.

And the other thing is, the bands want people to buy their album, because come time to renew contracts, etc.. record companies will look at past $$$ earned and figure that this band sucks because they did not make what we paid them.

I have not had direct experience with record industries...but I have friends and acquaintences who have...both here in Aust and the US. One worked for Sony Aust..

Come to think of it, he even said that there was more stealing going on with the employees then there would be with p2p.

Steve

sifakas
5th June 2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Jun 5 2004, 10:01 AM
The fact is, if my mate and I never found this band, we would not be trying to find out where their actual albums would be available (more then likely Utopia in Sydney). But because of file sharing, we discovered this band. Much to RIAA and all the record labels dismay...because of us leeching, they have just increased their sales because he will be buying some of this worthy bands albums.
In some cases but the majority of people will find the particular band etc they like and just d/l (leech) the whole cd.

kim jong il
5th June 2004, 04:05 PM
Ok, there's leeching and there's leeching. Leeching for sampling and leeching for keeps

I like to be able to try software before purchase. There are so many app's over the years that I would never have considered buying without knowing what they'll do. Some simply do not perform, while others are worth spending money on. Likewise music.

Every now and then you come across an artist or musuc you never would have considered purchasing or listening to. And you LOVE it. This is a good thing. If you buy their CD even better. Sadly, for these guys, this rarely happens. What we get is teenagers with vast libraries of low quality (128 kbps) sound recordings. if an artist 'invents'/'writes' a song that has some kind of universal appeal, do they not deserve their royaly cheque or even the second ferrari. These kids who now don't buy the 'single' would have, once upon a time, been the bread and butter for these people.......blah blah (especially the one hit wonders. once upon a time they might have become millionaires now they are just the most downloaded)

If only we had a proper system where, lets say 64 kbps samples are legal and higher quality recordings attracted copyright and royalty rights. There are multiple artists who I would be more than happy to pay around a dollar for a 320 kbps recording. No, I'll never buy the full CD until it's in the $2.95 bin but I'll happily pay $2 for the two tracks i actually like; right now (there is probably around $500 or so up for grabs at the moment).

cheers, kim

kim jong il
5th June 2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Jun 5 2004, 10:01 AM
........(more then likely Utopia in Sydney)......
(edited by kim for brevity).
Steve
Sorry steve, I could not resist. please do not take offence :P

Is this not an oxymoron??

pipsqeek
5th June 2004, 04:47 PM
I don't get which part is the oxymoron..

is it the fact that I d/loaded Mp3's of the songs, then I go on about buying them? If so, then you just totally missed the point of the post. No offence dude. :P

Steve

kim jong il
5th June 2004, 10:45 PM
Sorry to have caused annoyance steve.

'utopia in sydney' is the oxymoron (depending on your perspective). i'm sure we have a melbourne equivalent you could have a bit of fun with.

As for your other comments, I do believe in part, my opinion parallels yours to a point. I think it's great that 'one' can find something, like it then, hopefully, buy it. (in this case I think I got the gist of the post but should have been a tad more careful in qualifying my statements following it) When it comes to a personal opinion there can be no right or wrong. It's an opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't have to like it or even agree with it, BUT every opinion is just as valid as any other. keep 'sampling'

cheers, kim