PDA

View Full Version : back on regular dial up - which cable do I need?

jayda
15th January 2009, 10:21 PM
Telstra tech converted my ISDN set up back to PSTN today so stuck with normal dial up. He left the Tel I / U Face connections. Not sure what I need to plug into my imac to get it working on dial up. Doesn't it have a built in modem already? That's what I was using for the ISDN I assume...Not like the macbooks that don't have a built in modem. Or have I got it wrong?

Got an old PC laptop out now and it's connection is different to the imac's.

Huy
15th January 2009, 10:25 PM
Firstly, what kind of iMac? :)

Galumay
15th January 2009, 10:25 PM
from memory you still need a modem, the issue with the newer laptops is that they dont have a phone type connector to plug a dialup modem into so you needed a different type of modem with a USB plug

Salamander
15th January 2009, 10:26 PM
Imacs haven't had modems for some years now, have they?

NeoRicen
15th January 2009, 10:27 PM
Apple USB Modem - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au/product/MA034ZM/A)

Assuming your Mac doesn't have a Modem already. What kind is it?

jayda
15th January 2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks. It's 2 years old. I have a newer macbook and that definitely does not have a modem. I don't understand how I used the ISDN dial up service with the imac though? The cable from the phone socket went in an usb port on the imac.

Dial up is gonna kill me! Damn Telstra!

jayda
16th January 2009, 03:59 PM
Got the Apple USB modem - had the exact right phone jack (?? is that what you call it?) connection as my cable.

Ahhh, at least I'm back on a mac if I can look past the dial up issue.

haydio
16th January 2009, 04:15 PM
Its a RJ11 connection.

Wally
16th January 2009, 04:25 PM
Thanks. It's 2 years old. I have a newer macbook and that definitely does not have a modem. I don't understand how I used the ISDN dial up service with the imac though? The cable from the phone socket went in an usb port on the imac.

Dial up is gonna kill me! Damn Telstra!

There's always NextG / Optus Wireless Broadband

Or see if there is a local ISP that does tower based Wifi, you might get something.

jayda
16th January 2009, 10:53 PM
Supposedly Next G here although can't get it working. Have the yagi antenna and still can't get a signal :( No Optus and too many hills for the nearest tower based wireless.