PDA

View Full Version : Awesome New Powerbook Screen Trouble!

nmreid
17th May 2005, 01:32 PM
I have a brand new 15" Powerbook, with a 128MB video card. When I don't have my power supply plugged in and I change between Low Energy Usage, Better Performance or normal my screen clickers and looks distorted(vertical lines messed up) When I click the desktop with my mouse it comes all good. Is it just cause its chaning the screen qaulity or something when I change the energy usage, or is it (uurrrr) a faulty video card?

any thoughts.

alastair
17th May 2005, 01:47 PM
What color profile are you using (Prefs > Displays > Color) ?

I had some display problems with my new PB which were caused by incorrect profile usage...

neilrobinson
17th May 2005, 01:50 PM
do a test by sticking in the apple hardware test CD and letting it run. could be faulty vram / video card ;)

neil

nmreid
17th May 2005, 01:52 PM
It's on color LCD.

purana
17th May 2005, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by nmreid@May 17 2005, 01:52 PM
It's on color LCD.

Hrmm I will have to try out this on my wifes machine and see if hers has a similar problem.

nmreid
17th May 2005, 02:16 PM
No it's on the actual Powerbook LCD. The Color Profile is set to Color LCD.

Seems when I have it on Better Battery Life and change the screen to any resolution different to the one it's currently on it goes all distorted. If you use Custom energy level and set the Processor Usage to Low than it screws up in there as well. But if its on Normal or Better Performance it has no problems changing the resolution, its perfect.

So as far as I can tell it just doesn't like chaning the resolution when on Better Battery Life or using Low Processor USage when no power supply is plugged in.

I don't know.

maybe the 128MB video card sucks to much out of it...I don't know

Edge
17th May 2005, 02:24 PM
The brightness of the LCD probably changes when you alter the Energy Saver settings, by reducing power to the backlight. Sounds like a faulty backlight inverter to me (just guessing though.)