PDA

View Full Version : reinstalling dvd player without having to re-do OSX

Carve
15th January 2009, 12:33 AM
okay, so i went to put on a DVD (scrubs) into my imac and it won't play or open the program that normally does it. Wonder what the program is? and i can't really find it on my applications list

edit; yes, i have deleted it (dont know how and why tbh) and want to re-install it but don't want to install OSX all over again (the downloads and updates are not worth it atm)

so can anyone help me with it?

thanks

NeoRicen
15th January 2009, 12:33 AM
DVD Player.....

Carve
15th January 2009, 12:36 AM
i don't have that in my applications list.. worked fine yesterday, maybe I deleted it :(

edit; yes i checked the trash can and its not there

MacDave
15th January 2009, 12:58 AM
i don't have that in my applications list.. worked fine yesterday, maybe I deleted it :(

edit; yes i checked the trash can and its not there

Here's a copy of DVD Player from an OS X 10.5.6 install (DVD Player 5.0.3):

http://macdave.com/tmp/dvd_player.zip - it's 11.4 MB.

Just download it, unzip the file and put DVD Player.app into your /Applications folder. Then repair permissions with Disk Utility in /Applications/Utilities.

That -should- work OK if all that you did was delete the application itself from /Applications.

Dave

morn
15th January 2009, 12:59 AM
This app can install an individual file from an installer package.
Download Pacifist for Mac - Install individual files from .pkg installers and more. MacUpdate Mac Compression Software Downloads (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6812/pacifist)
Not n00b friendly but not hard, have to find the package on the install CD with DVD player, and extract the files to the hard drive.

Carve
15th January 2009, 01:04 AM
Here's a copy of DVD Player from an OS X 10.5.6 install (DVD Player 5.0.3):

http://macdave.com/tmp/dvd_player.zip - it's 11.4 MB.

Just download it, unzip the file and put DVD Player.app into your /Applications folder. Then repair permissions with Disk Utility in /Applications/Utilities.

That -should- work OK if all that you did was delete the application itself from /Applications.

Dave

thanks man for the app. it works fine now, everythings awesome.

thanks for your help Morg and Dave!

MacDave
15th January 2009, 01:09 AM
Carve -

On a sidenote, you really shouldn't have to open your Applications folder often. Between the Dock and a plethora of third party Application launchers, being able to put applications in the sidebar and toolbar of Finder windows and such, it should be next to impossible to accidentally delete or lose applications.

You're not the first here by a longshot to accidentally delete an application. Hopefully, you and others will be more careful in the future.

I'm glad things worked out!

Dave

AlanBzh
19th January 2010, 01:06 AM
Dear Dave

Thanks a million.
The file downloaded in 8 seconds, from California to France, and then unzipped itself.
I dragged it into my Applications folder to replace the DVD Player I had mistakenly trashed.
Then, as you advised, I repaired permissions with Disk Utility in / Applications / Utilities.
Then I tried it, (DVD Player) and it is working beautifully.

You saved me hours of work. Otherwise I would have had to reinstall the whole System 10.5 from my install disks
You deserve 5 stars out of 5 for helpfulness, cooperation, friendliness and efficiency.

cosmichobo
19th January 2010, 06:54 AM
Or... download VLC.

Lance
8th September 2010, 02:19 AM
I too managed to delete my dvd player. I tried the dvd player reinstall suggested and all went well until I discovered the player was too new. My Mac is OS X 10.4.11. Do you have an older version?

Abruzzi
23rd August 2011, 11:03 AM
Does Apple have a download center were you can download to reinstall the dvd player. Mine hasn't worked for a while and wanted to get it working before I installed lion, don't know if lion has the Front Row program. It would be nice to have the DVD player either way.

Thanks