PDA

View Full Version : Can't Log In!

p996911turbo
4th June 2004, 10:32 PM
Hello everybody,

I'm new to AppleTalk but already I've noticed that you lot seem to know everything about mac! I'm hoping you can fix my problem.

On my G3 iMac (OS 10.3.4), I changed my default language to Japanese and then logged out, so as to have the Finder in Japanese (which has worked every other time I've done it). However, when I tried to log back in, I couldn't. The log in window wont let me type my username. I can type my password but when I type in the username box, nothing comes up.

I've tried zapping the PRAM but that doesn't seem to work. I can boot off my external HD but that doesn't have any of my settings etc, and it's been a few weeks since my last backup. Is there a way I can change my System Preferences from another computer connected to my network (currently there's only a PC but I can connect another Mac easily enough)? Does anyone know where the default language can be editted using the :cmd:-S startup mode? Can anyone help me?! Please!!!

Edit: Have also tried the Change Password thing on the Panther Install CDs to no avail

macpimp
5th June 2004, 08:32 PM
okay, you need to log in as another user, or log in over the network, or whatever, just so long as you have access to the following file:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist

open it in a text editor, and find this bit:

<key>SHOWFULLNAME</key>
<true/>

change that from true to false

now when it shows the login window, it should show a list of users, instead of making you type in your username first. so now you can just click on your username, and type in your password.

hope this helps

nu

p996911turbo
8th June 2004, 04:18 PM
Thank you so much, macpimp! That has helped me soo much. Now I'm only having issues with FileVault but I'll sort that out. Thank you!

Disko
8th June 2004, 04:24 PM
*standing ovation to macpimp*
Nice work :)

macpimp
8th June 2004, 06:30 PM
cheers :lol:

i only knew that because not long ago i was scanning through all the preferences files, trying to find a way to turn mouse acceleration off in panther. at the moment i&#39;m resorting to using usb overdrive, which tends to eat a few cpu cycles. i don&#39;t know what apple were smoking when they gave panther its mouse acceleration curve. it&#39;s soooo unusable in war3 <_<

the_argon
8th June 2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by macpimp@Jun 8 2004, 06:00 PM
i only knew that because not long ago i was scanning through all the preferences files, trying to find a way to turn mouse acceleration off in panther. at the moment i&#39;m resorting to using usb overdrive, which tends to eat a few cpu cycles. i don&#39;t know what apple were smoking when they gave panther its mouse acceleration curve. it&#39;s soooo unusable in war3 <_<
Heh, I noticed that heaps when I started using macs more than PC&#39;s. I kept missing buttons and everything felt weird. I don&#39;t really notice it now though... must have adapted.