PDA

View Full Version : Lack of internet cafes!!!

iCarllovesapple
13th January 2009, 09:08 PM
The other day I was on Flickr, checking out photos of past Apple computers when I came across this persons profile. I looked at all of his Apple related photos, adn found that there are ALOT of internet cafe's in America. In Perth, there is only 1 in the Fremantle area. That is on South Street. Not 1 closer...... It is pathetic! Is WA the only state with a shortage of internet cafe's? I mean, I want to go to a nice cafe to study, and I also want wifi access. I have had to take my internet card with me everywhere, and people look at me weirdly because I'm the only guy that has ever taken his computer into that particular coffee shop. In my eyes, That's dumb!
What are your thoughts on this topic? Is it like this in Melbourne, Sydney, Tasmania???!?!?!!!! Post your replies, as I am eager to find out. :rolleyes:

Piratbyran
13th January 2009, 09:18 PM
There are enough free or open wifi points around these days, ever tied looking for one?

A lot of cafes have one, even if its not advertised as such.

Salamander
13th January 2009, 10:23 PM
I know there aren't many but I think there are a few more in Freo. Isn't there a small set-up at the back of the new Croissant Express in Sth Terrace? I think there is another one in the backbackers' travel centre opposite the post office in Market St. There are a lot of Wi-Fi access points here too, but I'm not aware of any free ones.

zeddie2001
13th January 2009, 10:26 PM
No shortage in Sydney

iCarllovesapple
13th January 2009, 10:33 PM
There are enough free or open wifi points around these days, ever tied looking for one?

I've obviously tried looking for one... There are a few wifi spots I must agree but nice coffee shops don't have WIFi. I'll just keep looking...

tangent23
13th January 2009, 10:42 PM
lots here in adelaide.. thank you internode and citilan :)

kungfucamel
13th January 2009, 10:43 PM
There's these guys,

Digital Network Arena - Welcome To DNA (http://www.dnalan.com/)

jubilantjeremy
13th January 2009, 10:50 PM
What? There's one (at least) on every street in the CBD.

If you go to Dome you can buy a coffee and get wifi access for 3 hours or something.
I think gloria jeans offers something similar.

DJY
13th January 2009, 10:55 PM
Quite limited options in Canberra I think also...
in terms of free wifi and coffee / cafes.

One near my house does - in Dickson...
but your point is valid - there are significantly less options available to the majority of Australians in terms of free wifi compared to some other countries.
Even most of our hotels still charge ridiculous rates for broadband!

Piratbyran
13th January 2009, 11:04 PM
If you want, make or buy an external antenna for whatever card you are looking for, extreme, but it works.

However its not an option for people with built in cards really.

dann
14th January 2009, 12:27 AM
Yeah, not many internet cafes in Fremantle - But Gino's has free wifi, so does Croissant Express, and I think Moore and Moore in Henry st does too...

I frequent most of the better cafes in Fremantle and always see people with laptops (I'm a student at Notre Dame - so naturally I spend most of my time in Freo Cafes). Gino's, Xwray, M+M usually have people working on laptops.. at least during the day when Uni is in.

Oh and there is free wifi at the esplanade hotel as well. Works in the lobby if you ever get stuck. :-)

iCarllovesapple
14th January 2009, 12:55 AM

Yeah, not many internet cafes in Fremantle - But Gino's has free wifi, so does Croissant Express, and I think Moore and Moore in Henry st does too...

I frequent most of the better cafes in Fremantle and always see people with laptops (I'm a student at Notre Dame - so naturally I spend most of my time in Freo Cafes). Gino's, Xwray, M+M usually have people working on laptops.. at least during the day when Uni is in.

Oh and there is free wifi at the esplanade hotel as well. Works in the lobby if you ever get stuck. :-)

Oh God.. Gino's!!!!!! I wouldn't dare go to Gino's becuase (I'm Italian) I see every dog and it's bone at Gino's... I know everyone... Then the rumors spread... OOOooooo, Look at him... I'll never forget the time I posted my first YouTube video. I told one person, then that person told the whole of Fremantle............. So annoying... Blabber mouths!!! But anyway, Back to the subject... Did you see me at the merchant on Monday?? I love the merchant!! (I wish they had WIFI.. I might suggest it!!) I swear... People had their eyes glued on me.. I was so embarrassed... lol

morgs
14th January 2009, 10:48 AM
Urban Grind at 530 Brunswick St, New Farm offers free WiFi for the first half hour to customers. I know this because it is my apple friendly cafe. Password changed daily.

Exocet
14th January 2009, 11:05 AM
Urban Grind at 530 Brunswick St, New Farm offers free WiFi for the first half hour to customers. I know this because it is my apple friendly cafe. Password changed daily.

They're on twitter too! @urbangrind

chrism238
14th January 2009, 11:21 AM
Oh God.. Gino's!!!!!! I wouldn't dare go to Gino's becuase (I'm Italian) I see every dog and it's bone at Gino's... I know everyone... Then the rumors spread... OOOooooo, Look at him... I'll never forget the time I posted my first YouTube video. I told one person, then that person told the whole of Fremantle............. So annoying... Blabber mouths!!! But anyway, Back to the subject... Did you see me at the merchant on Monday?? I love the merchant!! (I wish they had WIFI.. I might suggest it!!) I swear... People had their eyes glued on me.. I was so embarrassed... lolYou really have to ......
Oh, doesn't matter; someone will tell you one day.

iCarllovesapple
14th January 2009, 11:22 AM
You really have to ......

What, Not tell people my favourite hang outs? or not tell people my nationality or I'm out...

morgs
14th January 2009, 11:40 AM
They're on twitter too! @urbangrind

Thanks for the plug.

msilsby
14th January 2009, 12:28 PM
Does it really matter anymore?

I have a USB dongle from Vodafone that costs me $39 each month and gets me 5 Gb of geeky goodness.

Now I eat (and drink!) where I want. Plus it means that when I travel, I don't have to worry.

iCarllovesapple
14th January 2009, 12:35 PM
You really have to ......

Does it really matter anymore?

I have a USB dongle from Vodafone that costs me $39 each month and gets me 5 Gb of geeky goodness.

Now I eat (and drink!) where I want. Plus it means that when I travel, I don't have to worry.

It doesn't matter, your completely right. But, It would be good to have a cafe that had wifi access for the people who don't have those dongles.. Besides. I like meeting other geeks.. lol... I went to HJ's in November 2008 and saw this group of people with their Macs... made me smile :) lol

DJY
14th January 2009, 08:04 PM
Canberra sucks for wifi hotspots.
As far as I know there is only one free hotspot - pancake parlour at civic..

Cafe Del Marco in Dickson also have free wifi...
as does the National Library

There was a series of threads in here displaying free wifi hotspots in each capital city...
here is the Canberra one
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/28/37783-canberra-wifi-free-access-points.html
that lists some other options.

DJY
15th January 2009, 07:06 PM
really? when did that happen...
or do they freely give the password out to patrons - so all you need is any purchase?

bakeraus
15th January 2009, 07:12 PM
I see in a local mall internet booths of around 8 PC's and they charge around $2 for 22 minutes which I thought was a good deal. I seen a deal smashing ebay with sales and bidding etc..But I wouldn't trust it for internet banking.

itsmeyd
15th January 2009, 07:18 PM
No shortage in Sydney most connivence stores have internet inside so you can get the milk and check the email

bakeraus
15th January 2009, 07:21 PM
No shortage in Sydney most connivence stores have internet inside so you can get the milk and check the email

Very cool. Perks of living in the big cities :D