PDA

View Full Version : Field Report - RebelSim Card & Telstra Prepaid (Hardware Unlock)

TigersharkBAS
13th January 2009, 08:07 PM
Just got back from seeing the family in Melbourne and thought I would share my experience with those interested in hardware unlocking their iPhone using a piggyback SIM card like the RebelSim.

There were mixed results but ultimately it wasn't too bad.

I arrived in Melbourne and promptly went to the Telstra store and bought a $30 prepaid card and with an option for another $30 in data.

With the SIM card I now needed to perform a few steps in order to get the SIM card working in the iPhone.

I needed to use another phone (in this case a Nokia) to manually select the network to some other carrier (ie. Optus). This naturally gave an error message which clears out the info from the SIM. Then I reselected the Telstra 3G network and made a call and made sure I could browse the web.

Once this is complete you can pop the SIM along with the RebelSIM into the iPhone.

This all worked fine but no joy on accessing data. Kept on gettting "Could not activate cellular network" for browsing or mail checking.

After reading some posts in MacTalk about Telstra needing to set something up I called 1800 ipone and told them I has a prepaid SIM with an unlocked iPhone. The nice lady on the phone punched a few keys, asked me to reboot the phone and voila, working data.

I also put telsta.iph in settings.

It worked great. A major setback was that if lost signal from the network for some reason, then the iPhone would never find the carrier again and you needed to repeat the steps with the Nokia phone. Which was a nuisance when traveling between Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne on planes. But other than this is worked fine.

decryption
13th January 2009, 09:17 PM
Why would you do this over simply asking the telco the iPhone came from to unlock it? Seems fiddly and unreliable to me.

TigersharkBAS
14th January 2009, 05:34 PM
Why would you do this over simply asking the telco the iPhone came from to unlock it? Seems fiddly and unreliable to me.

Because they won't unlock it. Not until the 2 year contract is over.

decryption
14th January 2009, 05:36 PM
Because they won't unlock it. Not until the 2 year contract is over.

Telstra won't unlock it?
Yes they do - you pay them a fee and they unlock it for you.

Optus do it, Vodafone do it. Telstra do too.

zen
14th January 2009, 05:42 PM
Telstra won't unlock it?
Yes they do - you pay them a fee and they unlock it for you.

Optus do it, Vodafone do it. Telstra do too.
Decryption - The OP is from Switzerland, maybe their cellular providers have different rules comparing to ours.

decryption
14th January 2009, 05:44 PM
Decryption - The OP is from Switzerland, maybe their cellular providers have different rules comparing to ours.

Ahh, I assumed they bought the iPhone in Australia.

iPhone3G
14th January 2009, 10:45 PM
Just got back from seeing the family in Melbourne and thought I would share my experience with those interested in hardware unlocking their iPhone using a piggyback SIM card like the RebelSim.

There were mixed results but ultimately it wasn't too bad.

I arrived in Melbourne and promptly went to the Telstra store and bought a $30 prepaid card and with an option for another $30 in data.

With the SIM card I now needed to perform a few steps in order to get the SIM card working in the iPhone.

I needed to use another phone (in this case a Nokia) to manually select the network to some other carrier (ie. Optus). This naturally gave an error message which clears out the info from the SIM. Then I reselected the Telstra 3G network and made a call and made sure I could browse the web.

Once this is complete you can pop the SIM along with the RebelSIM into the iPhone.

This all worked fine but no joy on accessing data. Kept on gettting "Could not activate cellular network" for browsing or mail checking.

After reading some posts in MacTalk about Telstra needing to set something up I called 1800 ipone and told them I has a prepaid SIM with an unlocked iPhone. The nice lady on the phone punched a few keys, asked me to reboot the phone and voila, working data.

I also put telsta.iph in settings.

It worked great. A major setback was that if lost signal from the network for some reason, then the iPhone would never find the carrier again and you needed to repeat the steps with the Nokia phone. Which was a nuisance when traveling between Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne on planes. But other than this is worked fine.

What a lot of trouble.

And you have to keep re-setting?!

And carry a second phone so you can re-set!

And what you are doing is unlawful here (sending a fake IMEI number to the carrier network).

Why not just use Yellowsn0w?

You had to Jailbreak anyway to use the piggy-back SIM device, right?

Exocet
15th January 2009, 07:28 AM
iPhone3G it's IMSI not IMEI in this case. It's a legal gray-area in Australia and may be different in Switzerland :).

iPhone3G
16th January 2009, 01:18 AM
iPhone3G it's IMSI not IMEI in this case. It's a legal gray-area in Australia and may be different in Switzerland :).

Quite correct - It is IMSI - And not gray according to ACMA.

I spoke to their Melbourne office about it recently.

I had to call from Sydney. Seems that most of their other offices have closed, or changed their phone numbers, or have answering messages that just loop, or just don't answer. Sad really. Budget cutbacks.

In any case, this user IS IN AUSTRALIA with his Swiss iPhone, and is using the SIM device here with a Telstra SIM. So is covered by our ACMA legislation.

He is permitted to use his Swiss iPhone here, even though it has no A-Tick certification. However, he must take it out of Australia when he leaves (or send it out or destroy it). He may not sell or supply it to anyone in Australia. He SHOULD NOT use it to send a fake IMSI to the network.