PDA

View Full Version : Trying to read files on mbp (dead screen) from another mbp !!!!

SimplyBea
13th January 2009, 12:28 PM
Hi guys

Help!!! I have a friend with 2 previous gen mbp(s) and she needs files on the one which has a dead screen. She was trying to do it through apple talk but can't quite remember how to do it - any hints/pointers/tips....... ???

This is urgent so any help would be great!!! We are too far away from any apple store from here!!!

cheers
Bea

samuelowens
13th January 2009, 12:31 PM
You could put the machine with the dead screen into Target Disk Mode by linking the two MBPs by firewire cable and rebooting holding down the T key while doing so...

Alternatively, you could hook up an external monitor.

drewbles
13th January 2009, 12:34 PM
You could put the machine with the dead screen into Target Disk Mode by linking the two MBPs by firewire cable and rebooting holding down the T key while doing so...

+1

It's definitely one of the best things about a mac. It'll also let you use the DVD drive in the other mac as a remote drive. This one has gotten me out of a lot of mess in the past.

Once the machine boots (make sure it's plugged into the power), you should see the "dead screen" mac's hard drive appear in the finder of the other. You can then access your files as if you were on the other machine.

SimplyBea
14th January 2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks heaps for those suggestions - I hope it will work for my friend and this is really good info for me to store 'for just in case it happens to me!!!'

*** touching wood *** or should I touch alu ???

:)

cheers
Bea

SimplyBea
15th January 2009, 01:40 PM
Just wanted to thank you guys for the answer to the problem.

It worked!!!! My friend is really happy now that she has all her valuable data transferred over to her mbp!

THANK YOU !!!!!

:)