PDA

View Full Version : My first Mac

kiwimex
12th January 2009, 07:47 PM
Hi all, I had just purchased my first Mac but wont have it till the end of the week as i am waiting on the wireless mouse and keyboard to come from Apple. (its gonna be a long week)Being a new user on Mac im hoping ive made the right decision.

Imac 24" 2.8ghz 2g ram and the 320 hdd.

My main concern is AV support for windows live? would like some feedback on running windows live or msn messenger on the imac

any other mac newbie advice would be most welcome

thanks in advance
Steve

Mac Ram
12th January 2009, 08:01 PM
Hi kiwimex, welcome to the forums and the world of Mac. :)

I don't have any friends that use msn, but from what I have read I don't think that video support works...but others wiser than me will pipe in I'm sure.

For Mac newbie advise a good start is this thread (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/16/43503-switchers-faq.html)

sageco
12th January 2009, 08:05 PM
Well, the official client has no AV chat, but aMSN (http://www.amsn-project.net/) does.

PatrickH
12th January 2009, 08:09 PM
Welcome!

Congrats on your purchase, it beats my LC575 being my first! :p

With Microsoft's Messenger for Mac, it seems to now support video, which means it should be just as good as windows' version of Messenger.

EDIT: Realised you need Communications Server 07. :confused:

DeanCorp
12th January 2009, 08:10 PM
Welcome!

Congrats on your purchase, it beats my LC575 being my first! :p

With Microsoft's Messenger for Mac, it seems to now support video, which means it should be just as good as windows' version of Messenger.

Are you sure? I am using the new version and don't see video support. I thought Video Support was only available for Corporate Accounts? Please correct me if I am wrong.

PatrickH
12th January 2009, 08:14 PM
Are you sure? I am using the new version and don't see video support. I thought Video Support was only available for Corporate Accounts? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, it's me who's wrong. ><

However, you can use Yahoo messenger which happens to have webcam support plus the ability to chat with hotmail contacts (just add them as your contacts from your hotmail account) as well, yet you'll need a Yahoo account.

Hopefully Microsoft will release video support in the near future.

thorevenge
12th January 2009, 08:32 PM
Video I believe is supported by the internal client for businesses

FineWine
12th January 2009, 10:26 PM
Welcome to the world of Apple and Mac's.

I used to use MSN when a PC user as well as Yahoo and ICQ but over the last year most of my chat buddies and family have swapped over to Skype which we all find superior to all of the above, including iChat. For those that have not swapped to Skype I use Adium of course this has no video chat which is their lose not mine.

Anyway congrat's on seeing the light.

Chesty
12th January 2009, 11:01 PM
Congrats, hope you enjoy your stay. Good choice of system aswell.

In regards to Messenger for Mac, the developers posted on their blog last month saying that video chat is in development. So give it a month or two and it should be released.