PDA

View Full Version : iLife '09 Up To Date Issue

Chesty
12th January 2009, 05:58 PM
Hi Everyone.

I have a issue with the iLife '09 Up To Date Program. Any suggestions will be very helpful.

So, it started of on the 31st of December, 2008. I bought a new 2.4GHz Unibody MacBook Pro with AppleCare, both adding up to about $3800, from JB Hi-Fi. When Apple announced iLife 09' and also the Up To Date program at MacWorld last week, I though that I should try and see if Apple would still be able to give it to me. So I rang up, stated I was disappointed that the software on my Mac after a week was out of date and had spent $3800 on both of the products, and asked if there was any possible way to get iLife '09 under the program. I was transfered three times to different departments, and the first two staff members said that it should be fine. The last staff member that I spoke to also said yes, I am able to get it and they were being lenient for purchases from the 24th of December. She then told me to just complete the online form on the 12th of January, today. I was happy.

But, today i thought i should ring up Apple and ask what I should put in for the date on the online form. I was welcomed with, 'No, where did you hear that' and 'Have you read the Terms & Conditions'. I said that i was told by three people last week that i would be able to get it. I ended up getting through to the manager, but didn't get much more success. I was asked for the person who said I could get it, but she said that there was more then one person with that name. She then said that she would compile a complaint on my behalf and to go to the website to read the Terms & Conditions.

So what should I do?

a. Still fill out the online form as the first person said and hope that Apple doesn't ask for any receipts? (Does anyone know if they do?)

b. Call them back up until I get somewhere, because i have heard of reports that people in the US have been able to do it.

c. Just forget it.

Thanks so much for reading and sorry about the length. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Supreme
12th January 2009, 06:03 PM
Such is the life of technology. You could push, but don't expect anything. They'd be doing you a favour if they gave it to you. iLife is not 'out of date'. Your copy will work fine, and it's still a great program. If you can't possibly live without Faces or Places then just buy it.

Personally I would be annoyed if they did give it to you, because I'm sure there are other people who aren't so lucky. The rules are there for a reason, and when you create grey areas it becomes unfair.

decryption
12th January 2009, 06:03 PM
Depends how much effort you want to go through for $129. How much is your time worth? If it's worth little, go and call up Apple and eventually, you'll get your cheaper copy.

Otherwise, just pay the $129 and have no hassle :)

TheKeddi
12th January 2009, 06:21 PM
Rules is rules, I paid for mine and am happy to do it. For such great programs it's worth every penny.

Why didn't you wait for macworld? It wasn't long away from when you got your macbook pro.

Chesty
12th January 2009, 06:30 PM
Rules is rules, I paid for mine and am happy to do it. For such great programs it's worth every penny.

Why didn't you wait for macworld? It wasn't long away from when you got your macbook pro.

Well, i have probably answered the question myself now, but i didn't wait because I got a really good deal at JB Hi-Fi, which ended before MacWorld. The savings was enough to buy 2 copies of iLife '09.

Yes I'm probably just being greedy, but I might ring them up one more time tomorrow and if unsuccessful, will buy the full retail version.

Thanks everyone for you suggestions and quick replies.

stewy38
12th January 2009, 08:36 PM
[QUOTE=nchester;725672]Hi Everyone.

So, it started of on the 31st of December, 2008. I bought a new 2.4GHz Unibody MacBook Pro with AppleCare, both adding up to about $3800, from JB Hi-Fi. When Apple announced iLife 09' and also the Up To Date program at MacWorld last week, I though that I should try and see if Apple would still be able to give it to me. So I rang up, stated I was disappointed that the software on my Mac after a week was out of date and had spent $3800 on both of the products, and asked if there was any possible way to get iLife '09 under the program. I was transfered three times to different departments, and the first two staff members said that it should be fine. The last staff member that I spoke to also said yes, I am able to get it and they were being lenient for purchases from the 24th of December. She then told me to just complete the online form on the 12th of January, today. I was happy.

But, today i thought i should ring up Apple and ask what I should put in for the date on the online form. I was welcomed with, 'No, where did you hear that' and 'Have you read the Terms & Conditions'. I said that i was told by three people last week that i would be able to get it. I ended up getting through to the manager, but didn't get much more success. I was asked for the person who said I could get it, but she said that there was more then one person with that name. She then said that she would compile a complaint on my behalf and to go to the website to read the Terms & Conditions.

nchester; I bought a new Mac a week ago and to be honest I couldn't careless about Ilife 09 as I happy wih what I bought and Ilife 08 does me fine

melbmac
12th January 2009, 08:42 PM
Guess they've gotta draw a line somewhere. The issue here is the mis-informed staff that said it would be fine, oh and maybe a bit of karma for buying a mac at JB.

Beau
12th January 2009, 09:02 PM
a). I did this with Leopard, (I bought my MacBook over two months before Leopard arrived) and had no issues whatsoever. :D

step_andy
12th January 2009, 09:59 PM
Could you please post a link to the iLife's up to date program?

ChrisG
12th January 2009, 10:01 PM
Could you please post a link to the iLife's up to date program?

Here you go:
Apple - iLife - Update your new Mac with iLife ?09. (http://www.apple.com/au/ilife/uptodate/)

Ben™
12th January 2009, 10:27 PM
Let us know how you go. I purchased a Unibody MacBook on Boxing Day, so I hope I can take advantage of this offer.

Chesty
12th January 2009, 10:31 PM
Guess they've gotta draw a line somewhere. The issue here is the mis-informed staff that said it would be fine, oh and maybe a bit of karma for buying a mac at JB.

Yes, that was the one thing that irritated me the most, that the staff one day are all cheerpy and saying 'I fully understand and you should be alright, just fill in the form on our website on the 12th' to 'I'm sorry, it's for Mac's purchased on or after the 6th. Have you read the Terms & Conditions yet?'.

I actually rang up again and talked someone in technical support. He didn't have much knowledge at all. First he apologised that I do not qualify and then he said that if im a student I can get a really good discount which 'is nearly as good as the up to date program'. I explained to him that no, Apple has been getting extremely stingy with Educational Discounts and this one is only $10. He then said that I could use this discount as well as some kind of AppleCare discount, to get 'near to the price of $16.95'. I just ended up hanging up.

a). I did this with Leopard, (I bought my MacBook over two months before Leopard arrived) and had no issues whatsoever. :D

Wow, so they didn't ask for any proof of purchase at all?

Beau
12th January 2009, 10:31 PM
Just punch in your serial number; you've got nothing to lose if it doesnt work :D
FWIW - don't even bother trying with something that's not a unibody MacBook or a new iMac; won't work, I've tried.

Beau
12th January 2009, 10:32 PM
Y
Nope, none. I think I even put in it's actual purchase date! (August sometime). This was purchased from Apple online btw.

Ben™
12th January 2009, 10:34 PM
My serial number works and all that. Just hesitating from payment incase they turn around and say no.

Chesty
12th January 2009, 10:36 PM
Just punch in your serial number; you've got nothing to lose if it doesnt work :D
FWIW - don't even bother trying with something that's not a unibody MacBook or a new iMac; won't work, I've tried.

I took the punt... and it's worked so far! Was successfully able to pay for it and it says that it is shipping on the 2nd of Feb. I'll let you all know if I run into any hassles!

Beau
12th January 2009, 10:37 PM
My serial number works and all that. Just hesitating from payment incase they turn around and say no.
They didn't for me when I got Leopard.

Chesty
12th January 2009, 10:38 PM

If they do that, you are entitled legally for a full refund, so it shouldn't be a worry.

Ben™
12th January 2009, 10:41 PM
Yeah. Bugger it. I'll order it on pay day.

mcargy08
13th January 2009, 09:30 PM
i tried to register my unibody macbook. but i cant as its asking for the correct date of purchase. i bought mine oct 2008. just trying my luck. hehe

Al Aero
13th January 2009, 09:36 PM
Apple has announced a discount upgrade program for iLife '09 that is available to certain Mac purchasers. The promotion is designed to satisfy owners that receive computers bundled with the older version of iLife. The company will allow any customer that purchases a Mac between January 6th, 2009 to March 28 to upgrade to the latest software for $10. The systems must have been obtained from an Apple Store or an authorized reseller, and the program is still valid with certified refurbished products.

from MacNN | Apple offers iLife upgrade for recent Mac buyers (http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/01/12/apple.ilife.upgrade/)

a.

Beau
13th January 2009, 10:08 PM
i tried to register my unibody macbook. but i cant as its asking for the correct date of purchase. i bought mine oct 2008. just trying my luck. hehe

Fake a date - January 7th... why not? :D

iTy
13th January 2009, 10:31 PM
Didnt work for me.

Apple now only lets you choose 2009 in the year. :rolleyes:

Kevin
13th January 2009, 10:47 PM
Yes, that was the one thing that irritated me the most, that the staff one day are all cheerpy and saying 'I fully understand and you should be alright, just fill in the form on our website on the 12th' to 'I'm sorry, it's for Mac's purchased on or after the 6th. Have you read the Terms & Conditions yet?'.

I actually rang up again and talked someone in technical support. He didn't have much knowledge at all. First he apologised that I do not qualify and then he said that if im a student I can get a really good discount which 'is nearly as good as the up to date program'. I explained to him that no, Apple has been getting extremely stingy with Educational Discounts and this one is only $10. He then said that I could use this discount as well as some kind of AppleCare discount, to get 'near to the price of $16.95'. I just ended up hanging up.

You're either greedy or just stupid.

You spent $3800 on a computer, and stated with the amount you saved, you could have bought 2 copies of iLife 09 retail, yet you're whinging on an internet forum because you can't get the Uptodate for $16.95?

Sorry to sound a little harsh here, but there is a line drawn between greediness and taking advantage of an offer, and you've crossed it.

I can guarentee you that when iLife09 was released, the Uptodate site DID state that the offer was ONLY for machines bought after January 6th 2009. Perhaps a little self-researching and reading wouldn't hurt?

In regards to certain products, Apple Technical Support are unfortunately only given as much information as the general public, sad but true.

You can push and push and push, to save yourself ~$100 (hey, what's $100 extra when you've already spent $3800?), but at the end of the day, rules are rules.. as soon as one person finds a loophole, there are bound to be others jumping on the bandwagon.

Don't mean to offend anyone at all, just my 2c.