PDA

View Full Version : Application to Rotate Photos

craigc
12th January 2009, 02:23 PM
Can anyone recommend an app that will allow me to rotate my portrait photos prior to importing them into iphoto.

The reason why I want to do this is to avoid having all of my portrait photos stored in both originals and modified within iphoto.

Cheers,

Craig.

NeoRicen
12th January 2009, 02:24 PM
Preview?

Exocet
12th January 2009, 02:27 PM
Preview?

Preview.

grfxninja
12th January 2009, 03:24 PM
You could also set up an Automator Action/droplet to do it for you automatically.
Do it as an app on the desktop to drop the image/s onto, or a Finder plugin to use if you right/control click on the image/s.
You could include the option to import the image into iphoto too if it fits with your workflow.
Then you don't have to do anything except drop the image onto your app

Salamander
12th January 2009, 03:35 PM
I used to use Preview until I found that it threw away data. When doing a 'rotate' then 'save', the resulting file had a 50% smaller file size than the original. I am assuming that it recompressed the jpeg at a lower quality level. I can find a quality option in the 'save as' menu but not using just 'save'. Is there a default setting somewhere that I can't find?

~Coxy
12th January 2009, 03:40 PM
Doesn't Preview just EXIF rotate JPEGs (maybe other files types too)?
Graphic Converter for sure can losslessly rotate JPEGs; costs money though.

craigc
13th January 2009, 01:29 PM
I sounds like Graphic Converter is the way to go given its ability to losslessly rotate.

I wish there was an option in iPhoto that allowed you to replace the original file with the rotated modified file. I understand the logic of preserving original files, but rotating a photo seems fairly trivial to warrant a second copy clogging up my hard drive.