PDA

View Full Version : MacOS X Server - any cheaper way possible?

decryption
4th June 2004, 11:05 AM
AppleTalk needs a copy of MacOS X Server (why we'll inform you in due time :P).
The retail price is $849 and we really can't afford that. The educational price is $479, but if we buy that, we'll be violating the licence agreement for the product.

Is there perhaps a single client version, rather than a 10 client version that would be cheaper? Or just *some* way we can get Mac OS X Server without resorting to piracy/paying $849 that neither Disko or I have :P

InfiniteAnthony
4th June 2004, 11:29 AM
If you only really need apache/php/mysql we can hack up just a copy of just Mac OS X.

I have done it many times before and works rather well.

With all the expertise on this board I am sure we can compile something :) :ph34r:

decryption
4th June 2004, 11:35 AM
Oh I know I can use "regular" Mac OS X, I run a webserver with it at home, just I was hoping to get Mac OS X Server cheap 'cause it's cool :P

InfiniteAnthony
4th June 2004, 12:11 PM
Well la dee da! :P

sillydog701
4th June 2004, 03:43 PM
Is AppleTalk going to move to a dedicated PowerMac or XServe?

Disko
4th June 2004, 06:18 PM
Nah - decryption and i are just wanting to woo you all with a "cool factor". is it working? :P

cmetom
4th June 2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by sillydog701@Jun 4 2004, 04:43 PM
Is AppleTalk going to move to a dedicated PowerMac or XServe?
i haven't seen it under load at all.. (like, lots of webserver requests load, etc) but Server runs great on a PM G3...

i'm afraid i can't help you tho. perhaps ask the community to donate? 5 or 10 dollars each and you'd have it pretty fast.

i dunno tho.. it's not something i'd normally suggest.

Currawong
4th June 2004, 09:36 PM
OSX Server may not be necessary, as everything in server will run under client, including Postfix (mail server), just without the Apple admin tools. MySQL is a bit of a hack though. On my machines, I've settled on installing the Fink version and creating my own StartupItems file. Remote monitoring can be done via X11 tools and the command line, but I don't know of security issues with it.

So I dunno if Appletalk *needs* a copy of OSX server ;)

decryption
4th June 2004, 09:49 PM
I doubt we need OS X Server too, it just looks cool on the Apple site and it seems like it makes everything so simple, until it clicked I won't have physical access to the machine at all.

So, for some reason, I feel like OS X won't be the best sort of OS for this situation. Maybe it's just me, but I'd feel more comfortable with a barebones copy of OpenBSD and an SSH client...

Of course, much testing to be done, so we'll figure out the best OS for the job.

elvis
4th June 2004, 10:32 PM
OSX sans GUI:

http://www.opendarwin.org/

$0.00 :)

decryption
4th June 2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by elvis@Jun 4 2004, 10:32 PM
OSX sans GUI:

http://www.opendarwin.org/

$0.00 :)
How odd you post that now... we're just talking about it on #apple and I was browsing the site :P

elvis
7th June 2004, 08:25 PM
Great minds think alike, my friend. :P