PDA

View Full Version : Schiller: "iPhone cycle" = June

tcn33
10th January 2009, 10:23 PM
From Pogue's blog on the NYT:

But he also pointed out that having to come up with another dazzling show every January—a huge production, starring knock-’em-dead new products every year—was unsustainable. He noted that Apple marches to certain annual product cycles: the holiday season (Novemberish), the educational buying season (late summer), the iPod product cycle (October), the iLife development cycle (usually March), the iPhone cycle (June). January doesn’t fit ANY of them.

A Strange Macworld Expo - Pogue’s Posts Blog - NYTimes.com (http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/08/a-strange-macworld-expo/)

Could we be looking at a 3rd gen iPhone in six months?

EdgeOfQuarrel
10th January 2009, 10:27 PM
i reckon be mostly the same but larger like 32GB ,maybe a better camera or something.

Beau
10th January 2009, 10:27 PM
Why not, it's been like that for two years now :p

WindowsVista
10th January 2009, 10:28 PM
I think we could. Although I see very little changes. Maybe a storage bump or a slight hardware change. Most people are locked on 12 and 24 month contracts so demand won't be as big second time round unless there's an easy "upgrade" option.
I'd be willing to upgrade ASAP but only as soon as my contract runs out. (12 months contract)

Tragedies
10th January 2009, 10:29 PM
I don't see them changing it dramatically - after all, it's selling well. Probably higher storage though as mentioned.

dmw
11th January 2009, 01:52 PM
i am willing to bet there will be both a hardware AND software upgrade to the iPhone mid year (june/july).

apple brilliantly executed the ipod rollout to amazing (and dominant) success. we know that apple releases new ipods every sept. the new features/designs on an annual basis ensure that competitors are always playing catch up and why there is so far no ipod killers.

so far, the iPhone rollout is following similar steps to the ipod rollout and i cant see why apple wouldn't continue as such. new iPhones every june i bet. It also allows apple to release their best new mobile features on the flagship touch platform before some of these trickle down to ipods in sept.

LithgowLights
11th January 2009, 02:13 PM
Ok I would expect 32gb versions this year plus minor band additions like 900Mhz 3g support. Next year I expect the better screen, better battery life, more office software functions like a mini office package. Maybe better email functions but I am happy there for the most part.

timothy
11th January 2009, 02:20 PM
I expect a complete overhaul, built from the ground up.

lifted from MacRumors:

ZDNet reports that the iPhone 3.0 firmware will support quad-core processors in an upcoming iPhone hardware revision. While Apple has not yet detailed iPhone 3.0 firmware, MacRumors has independently heard from a reliable source of this same multi-core support in the 3.0 firmware which should accompany the next iPhone.

Meanwhile, Imagination Technologies is announcing a multi-core GPU that could be suitable for iPhone use. Apple, an investor in Imagination Technologies, presently uses a less powerful version of their PowerVR GPU in the iPhone and iPod touch.

The likely candidate for the new iPhone's CPU, however, is a derivative of the ARM Cortex A9 multi-core processor. The ARM Cortex has excellent power efficiency, well ahead of Intel's Atom offerings. Apple appears to be an ARM architectural licensee and their acquisition of P.A. Semi has brought low-power chip design expertise into the company.

This could mean multi-tasking, ichat, maybe a spaces type scenario where you can flick through your open apps. I like how you can have multiple pages open in safari, but it could be improved along with lots of speed tweaks.

NeoRicen
11th January 2009, 02:25 PM
There will probably be a new iPhone in June, that's why I only went on a 1 year contract. ;)

As for multi-core, I doubt it.
Multi-core iPhones in 2009? No | 9 to 5 Mac (http://9to5mac.com/arm-cortex-a9-multi-core-2010-2009)

I'd expect firmware 3.0 (can't remember who, but someone pointed out that there have been no more developer betas of the OS). Hopefully the phone will get better hardware, but not more demanding software. The biggest problem with the iPhone in my opinion is that the hardware isn't powerful enough.

TheWatchman
11th January 2009, 02:37 PM
Multi cores on a mobile? LOL no. Battery life would be horrible.

Phase
11th January 2009, 02:49 PM
The Apple logo doesn't glow yet.

Go on I dare you not to suggest that couldn't work.

(Guess where they could hide the flash for the camera?)

hint: it's in the Apple logo, dummy.

timothy
11th January 2009, 03:38 PM
They have just teamed up with those battery expert dudes... Those guys are going to come up with a way...

I wonder how well the Palm Pre battery will perform out in the wild.